• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Old habits on new skis

SnownyNorth

Certified Ski Diva
I keep thinking that my recent wipeout and lack of control was not only my new skiis (too short, maybe too advanced), but also that I keep going back to the inside leg lift on turns. I used to ski everything 25 years ago, on long Dynastars. I was also fearless, and I find that falling has made me more cautious. I have a lot of conflicting advice from friends to lean forward, dont' move hips, etc. Last year at Marmot Basin, I rented basic shaped skis, relaxed and had a great time. My new skis are too short, but does it make sense to increase your skill on shorter, more advanced skis, or longer intermediate skis? Thanks, still taking advil after yesterday.

Jilly

Staff member
Get longer skis, we are all in agreement there. Then great a lesson. Tell your instructor exactly what you just told us. There are small differences in using the new skis. The instructor will explain, demo and you'll enjoy skiing much better. Check out the Diva instructor list and see if there is someone close by.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I keep going back to the inside leg lift on turns.
Hope you're feeling better! Read the "plunk" thread - most of us have been there/done that, for sure! Having noticed the above, though, I distinctly remember this old long, straight-ski habit, and it took me considerable time and effort to eliminate it. Lots of still photos taken by DH clearly showed my bad habit. We get this from the old-school method of up-unweighting for turn initiation - something that is not required with new skis in average ski conditions. (exceptions abound, I realize, so I'm qualifying this statement)

I agree that a lesson would help tremendously. In one hour, you'll get all you need to learn the "new" skiing, whereby both edges are transferred simultaneously - the "rolling" from one edge to the other on both skis at the same time, plus the "rail" stance - but it initially feels odd and unnatural, especially if you've been skiing the old way for a long time. Took me several years to get it right (and by no means all the way right - I often "backslide" if concentration breaks or I get unglued).

Take care of yourself, hope to hear good news soon :smile:

SnownyNorth

Certified Ski Diva
Feeling better, looking for an instructor..

Thank-you for the well wishes- I had a very mild New Years' Eve, and am feeling not so wonky today. One of my resolutions is to take a good ski lesson, and not buy skiis until I am more informed. My husband knows I'm taking the Bandits back- although I think in a longer length they may have been okay. Do you have an instructor registry for Northern BC? PowderKing, or?
To bad I have this week off and it is snowing like crazy. Not ready to venture up just yet.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga