• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Okemo vs Sunapee

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, I'm thinking of getting my first day of the season in tomorrow Fri 12/17. Okemo or Sunapee are what I'm thinking at this point . . .anyone been to either one recently (this week) to give the real scoop on conditions?? I've never skied this early in the season before . . . .so not sure what to expect conditions wise . . . . .

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Skied Okemo today and it was good. There's a lot more open at Okemo than Sunapee, so I'd choose the former.

If you want, I could meet you for a run or two.....:smile: No pressure.

Lilgeorg

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just finished 16 runs at Okemo. They have 50 open trails and expect to drop the ropes on more this weekend. Today the conditions were often like silk over hard pack. Very enjoyable. A few trails had some death cookies but you could avoid them by skiing the edge of the trail. I had a blast!:thumbsup:

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks you guys. I'm still debating which to do--it will depend on how motivated I am when the time comes I think-- either drive 2 hrs to Sunapee or 3 hrs to Okemo. But if I get up to Okemo and happen to spot you in the lodge or on a run or something I'll stop by!

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was at Sunapee on Tuesday. They claimed 23 trails open ... now the web site says 26 are open.

On Tuesday, you basically had 3 paths down from the peak -- Wingding (blue), which does not take you back to the base; and Skyway Ledges (blue) and Blast-Off (black) which do take you back to the base.

Tuesday, they were blowing snow like mad. Locals complained that visibility was bad. Ha! At some points on Skyway Ledges, I could not see even a shade of ANYthing farther than 10 feet away - including people in dark jackets. (They were blowing snow one or two trails over, not on Skyway itself.) I could do two turns and, at the end of the second one, would be so disoriented that I didn't know if I was standing or moving or anything. Problem was ... I was advised by Guest Services that Blast-Off was probably too steep, so Skyway was my only way back down the mountain. I ended up having to retreat to the one green trail that was open over in the beginner area.

We reported the situation to Guest Services but that did no good, so I will be sending Sunapee a letter.

Sunapee is blowing as much snow as they can, trying to open up a bunch of terrain this weekend.

In all fairness, the snow condition was really good. But if I were you, I'd go to Okemo.

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sunapee is reporting that Upper and Lower Ridge are now open too. I was thinking of heading there tomorrow. Depends on what time I get up I guess. My pass is good for Sunapee and Gunstock, but not Okemo.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga