• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

OK- dumb question about Demoing

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know, the board has been knee-deep in demo threads recently, but here's the deal.

I want in on the action!

Honestly, though, when it comes to this stuff I am a complete n00b. So here's my question.

How do you demo?

I mean, I know theoretically what you do when you try the skis. But I'm confused because I was under the impression that all the demoing everyone does are on designated 'demo days' hosted by the mountain or whatever and I picture in my head a huge carnival tent filled with skis. Hah.

I am so clueless.

The thing is, I'm heading back out to Summit County in early March and I'd really like to demo some skis. I'm not sure how to do this, if I'm limited by what events the mountains host, or if there are always demos available. I don't know what the whole process is, where you pick up the demos, all the logistics on the whole thing.

i just don't know!

Help a complete n00b out here and tell me how on earth this Demo Thing works!

Thanks,

K.

SkiBaby

Certified Ski Diva
I'm looking forward to replies from those more experienced than me - but my demoing has basically consisted of renting the skis I'm interested in from a ski shop I like. (Have yet to experience the free demo set-up.) They'll apply one rental fee towards a purchase if you choose. But now that I've gotten to know some people there, they've gotten a bit more generous and offered to let me take two pairs up for the price of one rental to get more of a fair comparison between skis on any given day. Hope that helps.....

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Okay heres' the deal.
There are usually some demo times set up for many brands to be at any specific hill on a given day. Most resorts only do this once or twice a year.

Some times if you're lucky you'll show up and find a rep in a van near a significant hill and an ez-up. He'll have ONE Brand of skis but a lot of good options of his brand and a lot of usefull information for his skis.

Another option is to go to the ski shop at the resort where you're skiing , or local shop. They can usually get you a demo on a number of brands. The ski shop demos usually cost somewhere around $20ish but the cost is usually applied to your ski purchase if you buy from that shop.
Hope this helps.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Last year one of the shops at Copper had demos at Solitude Station. BTW, we haven't seen them this year. Anyway, they required a credit card and or drivers license. They set you up on the skis right on the slope. It was very convenient but the downside was you had 1 hr. to try them out.

Christy Sports, (Breck, Keystone, Copper) charges approximately $45+ and deducts the price from the ski.

Try rentskis.com, which is Colorado Ski and Golf.

There are shops off the mtn which are cheaper but the disadvantage is you're stuck with the same ski all day. When you demo on the mtn you can go back to the shop and try different skis.

If you come to Copper and do a Women's Wed class you can demo womens K2 skis for free.

Kathi

ISki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here, one way to demo is to pay for a day of renting "high performance" skis from the mountain's ski rental shop. The rental fee is around $40. It is not applied to purchase.

You can ski and swap out as often as you like.

Inventory (brand, model, size) is limited.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
March is a little late in the season for a good selection, but, 1st call the mountains you'll be skiing and ask if any local shops have an on-hill demo center set up (Christy Sports used to have one set up at the top of the gondola at Steamboat). If not, call all the local shops and see if they offer a demo program or if they have any demo days scheduled. As stated above, a "high performance" rental is another option. Try out as many skis as you can!!!!!

If you know anybody who works in a shop, March is usually when the shops schedule their employee demo/instructional days for the next season's gear.....they may be able to get you in.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga