• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Of Cats and Salamanders

Lisamarie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is one of my favorite subjects. Some people enjoy predictable activities. Others enjoy sports that require spontaneity. Unfortunately, most traditional fitness trends provide predictable movement, which doesn't exactly train you for unpredictable sports. So, are you a Cat or a Salamander?

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love the options. Personally, I'm cat identified, which makes sense as I was raised by cats, but that's another story entirely :laugh:

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love the options. Personally, I'm cat identified, which makes sense as I was raised by cats, but that's another story entirely :laugh:

Well, you have to tell us now!

Anyway. I am a cat. In fact, I am TOTALLY cat, with absolutely no salamander in me. I look at the Olympic swimmers, and I'm impressed, very impressed, but I think "are they $&#ing CRAZY?? How can you spend your life staring at the bottom of a pool and going back and forth and back and forth and back and forth ...." Running a marathon holds less than zero appeal to me. Spending a half hour on an exercise bike is torture.

My husband leans salamander, although he doesn't run anymore, but he's taken up golf. We do ski differently: he definitely tends to go to the bottom, straight and fast, where I'm more likely to seek out different lines and bumps, and just explore more. Although he has learned to follow me, and has a blast. But his tendency was the other way.

I am curious as to whether ski cats or ski salamanders tend to take more lessons. I have a hypothesis, but maybe we should take a poll first.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is one of my favorite subjects. Some people enjoy predictable activities. Others enjoy sports that require spontaneity. Unfortunately, most traditional fitness trends provide predictable movement, which doesn't exactly train you for unpredictable sports. So, are you a Cat or a Salamander?

The opposite is true, as well ... for us cats, sometimes it's really tough to "get in shape" to do our unpredictable sports, because we have to get creative or we get bored.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, I guess I'm a cross. I love skiing and tend to be a cat like skier but I also love distance cycling. Although with cycling I like to switch up my ride and scenery a lot so maybe that's part cat. As usual, you can't put me into one category. :D

Lisamarie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The opposite is true, as well ... for us cats, sometimes it's really tough to "get in shape" to do our unpredictable sports, because we have to get creative or we get bored.

That's an interesting point. teaching in Summit County, most of my students are the same way. Thus, the balls, bosu, etc. At least there's some "play" aspect in these types of activities

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's an interesting point. teaching in Summit County, most of my students are the same way. Thus, the balls, bosu, etc. At least there's some "play" aspect in these types of activities

Yes, I LOVE the balls. I have a wobble board and bosu at home, and anything with a ball works. The gym where I work out had an ab machine where you do situps and throw a medicine ball into a target ... I can't remember what it's called. I could do that thing all day. But regular situps ... blech.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, I LOVE the balls. I have a wobble board and bosu at home, and anything with a ball works. The gym where I work out had an ab machine where you do situps and throw a medicine ball into a target ... I can't remember what it's called. I could do that thing all day. But regular situps ... blech.
Okay, I noticed today that my rec center has wobble boards. What the heck am I supposed to do with them?

Lisamarie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Squats, lunges, etc. You can even practice standing on them while you lift weights, or simply practice fore/aft or lateral weight shifts.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Squats, lunges, etc. You can even practice standing on them while you lift weights, or simply practice fore/aft or lateral weight shifts.

I guess I meant more than just ideas of what kinds of exercises I can do with them but how. I haven't a clue what I'm supposed to do to do a squat or a lunge on a small board.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I guess I meant more than just ideas of what kinds of exercises I can do with them but how. I haven't a clue what I'm supposed to do to do a squat or a lunge on a small board.

some exercises

Even just standing on it while watching TV or ironing is helpful.

If you lift weights (bicep curls or something) while standing on it, it helps engage your core while you are also working your arms. You're doing more than one thing at a time, which is helpful for a lot of reasons.

They're also really great for anyone with ankle issues. I first used one in rehab for a second-degree ankle sprain ... lots of proprioceptive activities for that. In fact, my trainer calls me Mrs. Proprioception, because that is a strength of mine. It's hugely helpful while skiing. I fall, but I very rarely fall poorly ... what I mean is that my body knows when to save it, and when to go down. It somehow is really aware of where it is when I'm moving.

LilaBear

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think I'm a cat, when I look at all the sports equipment that I've purchased, used a few times and never again. My skiing is borderline "erratic" but I've been working on that, still I will only ever go down the same slope 3 times in one day - again I'm changing that but only because it pays off in improved skills for the "challenges".

Num, I too am being raised by cats. I was also going to claim my other catlike dislike of getting wet, when I shower it's utilitarian not luxury, and I'm in and out of the bath in minutes. No waterpark shenanigans for me. Then I remembered my other main hobby is scuba diving - but I do it mainly in a dry suit, with gloves and hood, I have two inches of cheek exposed to water .... so maybe it is still catlike ...

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Pinto thanks! Oh, and was that fall at A-Basin one of those kinds of falls? :wink::laugh:

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Pinto thanks! Oh, and was that fall at A-Basin one of those kinds of falls? :wink::laugh:

Ha! That fall was unsavable. I found the speed limit of my binding in refrozen crud, didn't I!! I never told anyone, because I was embarrassed, but the ski that came off landed right on top of my head and I had a huge knot for weeks. I didn't wear a helmet that day, because it was so warm; that's probably the second day in the past 5 or 6 years I haven't worn a helmet. So, I finally have a high-speed fall where my ski lands on my head, and I'm without helmet. Duh. But I didn't hurt anything else. :smile:

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ha! That fall was unsavable. I found the speed limit of my binding in refrozen crud, didn't I!! I never told anyone, because I was embarrassed, but the ski that came off landed right on top of my head and I had a huge knot for weeks. I didn't wear a helmet that day, because it was so warm; that's probably the second day in the past 5 or 6 years I haven't worn a helmet. So, I finally have a high-speed fall where my ski lands on my head, and I'm without helmet. Duh. But I didn't hurt anything else. :smile:
Yeah, we were flying down that run for sure! I think slowing to check on you probably saved me from a similar fall. It was a spectacular show for sure. :D

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, we were flying down that run for sure! I think slowing to check on you probably saved me from a similar fall.

You are welcome. :laugh:

That was definitely a case of being maybe a little too in love with my skis and thinking they could do ANYTHING, but then forgetting that I don't have a terribly high DIN.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You are welcome. :laugh:

That was definitely a case of being maybe a little too in love with my skis and thinking they could do ANYTHING, but then forgetting that I don't have a terribly high DIN.
Good times, good times! Can't wait to do it again. :D The skiing that is, not the crashing. :p

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna