• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

New Ski Devices?

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How many of your home mountains permit new ski devices.....for example, at Brighton, Geary ski bikes are making their appearance.

Here is my DS (a Brighton employee) demoing a bike on Tuesday. There are no brakes on this puppy---it's all about leaning and edging, like skiing. He rides the bike right onto the lift and it hooks onto the seat and then he rides right off. It's leashed onto his leg.

IMG00018-20090120-1425.jpg

It's a mother's nightmare I tell 'ya.

And I worry if unskilled idiots (unlike my DS) start plowing the skiers down with these hefty rides.:help::help:

amanda

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They have these at Winter Park now, but I think it is more of a guided activity. You can rent them at night. They're advertising it as a good date night activity.

Jilly

Staff member
The liftees at Mont Sutton used to have home made version of those. There was always a year end race down one of the moguls runs for bragging rights for the next year. Didn't know you could get a commerical version. Neat.

And scary too. Like the idea of using them off hours!

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
None at our local hill, but I think I saw something like that at A-basin. I think.

cinnabon

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:eek: I am surprised they allow them on the same slopes with skiers! I guess maybe because Brighton is such a snowboard mecca they are a little more hardcore than the others? Looks sort of fun, maybe on a flat learner slope!

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
not seen at PCMR

I haven't seen them here at Park City. We're told no one can get on the lifts without wearing either a snowboard or at least one ski (covers monoskis and the racers doing one ski exercises). The only exceptions are the disabled skiers using adaptive ski gear. I get shivers thinking about those bikes, and some of the testosterone-enhanced kids trying them in the terrain parks and jumps!!! :eek:

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've seen them here once or twice. I think maybe at Keystone or A-Basin. They're few and far between, that's for sure.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I've seen them at both Keystone and A-Basin. I know that at Keystone you have to be certified before you can take them on the lift. I think certification involves taking a class and demonstrating that you can safely load and unload the lift and maneuver the bike.

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've seen them at both Keystone and A-Basin. I know that at Keystone you have to be certified before you can take them on the lift. I think certification involves taking a class and demonstrating that you can safely load and unload the lift and maneuver the bike.

VERY smart of Keystone! I see how difficult it is to load the sitskis all the time. Some of the racers have it down pat and can even load solo on a lift. But, they have had assistance for awhile before being able to do it alone. I don't see where those bikes would be any different from the loading/unloading learning curve.

CAdreaming

Certified Ski Diva
Ski bike video

The above site contains the video and detail info about this ski bike.
The video actually shows how it go onto a lift.

I have seen the same type of ski bikes at Tahoe ski resorts but they were made by K2.
I talked to a rider who was actually a man in his 40's (probably) and he said that it was really fun to ride it. I acutally thought that he made it himself until he showed me the K2 logo. :loco:

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Robyn and I actually saw a group at Keystone yesterday. They were with an instructor, probably about 5 or 6 of them. I don't know, could be fun, but I think I'd rather just ski...

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One Geary bike rider I talked to at Brighton last week is an older man with 'bad' knees. He said he cannot ski, but can ski bike. He is working with the engineer (Geary) here in Utah to customize the frame for his size and needs. Actually, getting on and off the lift is very easy.

I predict we will see more of these over time.....:fear::fear:

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Robyn and I actually saw a group at Keystone yesterday. They were with an instructor, probably about 5 or 6 of them. I don't know, could be fun, but I think I'd rather just ski...
Yeah, they have them at Copper too. I agree, if I had endless time and money in the mountains it could be fun to try but with limited resources, I'll stick to my skis.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga