• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Need a little advice on an etiquette issue

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
OK, a little backstory....

I took a lesson last year and my instructor planted a seed that I should take an instructor training course this season and maybe considering working as instructor. I probably would have never had the confidence to even think of doing this without having heard it from him. But the seed as grown and now its something I really want to do!!!!

So at the end of last season I attended an info session for instructor wanna-bees at a local mountain. They said they would email us at the beginning to next season.

Being really excited about the idea, I emailed the head of snowsports guy at the end of August when the temps started dropping. He said they normally don't start dealing with that stuff until October and that he would get in touch with me than. Earlier this week, when October was more than halfway over and I hadn't heard anything, I ventured to send another friendly email asking what the next step was- could I submit an application? Sign-up for the ITC? etc.

That was a few days ago and I haven't heard a word back. My email in August was answered the next business day. Logically, I'm thinking 'it's closer to the opening of the season, they are much busier than they were in August, chill out and give it a few days.' HOWEVER, that same evening I was talking to a ski friend about it, who told me a mutual friend of ours, who I consider a way better skier than I am, applied and was turned down for an instructing position last year. So now, admittedly, I'm a little freaked out about the whole thing....

So my question is... what should I make next move. Give it a few days and email again? Follow-up with a phone call in a day or two? Or is that going to net me negative points by being too much of a pest???

Dtrick924

Angel Diva
Does the mountain have a website? Lots of place will have a link to an employment page with an application or information on job fairs.

I would wait at least a full week from your first e-mail before calling/e-mailing again. They are most likely getting lots of e-mails/calls about employment now.

abc

Banned
I would follow up with a phone call next couple of days, just to find out if they started the application process or not.

If they haven't started, you can just wait till they do.

If you have started, you can then ask how to apply.

Either way, there's no negative point.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't think it'll give you negative points to follow up, but in your neck of the woods, these things don't start ramping up till late November/early December. So, I think you still have plenty of time.

marzNC

Angel Diva
A polite follow up is not likely to give you negative points with a sensible manager. I would try one more email before moving to the phone. How close do you live? There is still value to doing something in person. Even if only to deliver a note and resume to whoever happens to be manning the office on a given day. You might an opportunity to ask a few questions.

Check out this thread from a couple years ago for some insight into what new instructors need to learn. In this case, the timing was such that the Diva started the day with a lesson in mid-December and got hired before she left the mountain.

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/im-going-to-be-a-ski-instructor.15359/page-2

My sense is that for a first-year instructor, what a ski school Director is looking for is reliability, willingness to commit to being available during busy periods, any background related to teaching something to someone, and a clear willingness to learn. The level of skiing does not need to be that high to teach never ever group lessons if you are aware of how you move your body and skis when skiing greens or blues. Someone who learned as an adult may well be a better instructor initially than someone who learned as a kid and can ski anything on the mountain.

My coach (over 50 2-hour clinics) at Massanutten really wants me to become an instructor. While I think I would enjoy teaching, I'm not willing to make the time commitment. Having too much fun traveling to ski and taking friends for the holiday weekends. Plus, I live several hours away. However, I did learn details about the process last fall. One of the instructors is over 80. He mostly helps out during busy times. I'm keeping my options open for the future.

DanniAB

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Calling & emailing shows you're eager & serious about the course.
I think plenty of follow up is a good thing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna