• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

My son qualified for the Nastar Nationals

gr8outdoors

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Today in the mail my son received the "Congratulations, You Qualified" booklet from Nastar. :yahoo: My husband and I were SO surprised he qualified to go (not having any idea what qualified someone to go to this). We live in Rochester, NY and had not planned on a trip to Colorado, but we are seriously considering going! My son just turned 10 and has been thinking about seriously trying racing, so this could be quite an experience for him if we are able to go.

Sherry

tamlyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Congratulations to the young man. If there is any way you can afford to send him I would do it. I would also get him a racing license and get him started in USSA now as a J2 next year. USSA is the ladder system to the US ski team and would be a huge opportunity for him to try real ski racing with access to coaching (he would have to join a ski team). It also has the added benefit of keeping kids from driving too fast (it satisfies teens need for speed), he would be less likely to hang out with kids who do drugs, and has a "cool" factor that most parent encouraged activities make kids feel like their parents are trying to make them nerds. LOL
Tami (gravity girl)

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Congratulations to the young man. If there is any way you can afford to send him I would do it. I would also get him a racing license and get him started in USSA now as a J2 next year. USSA is the ladder system to the US ski team and would be a huge opportunity for him to try real ski racing with access to coaching (he would have to join a ski team). It also has the added benefit of keeping kids from driving too fast (it satisfies teens need for speed), he would be less likely to hang out with kids who do drugs, and has a "cool" factor that most parent encouraged activities make kids feel like their parents are trying to make them nerds. LOL
Tami (gravity girl)

Um, at 10 years old he would be a J5 not a J2. J2s are 15-16 years old.

Nevertheless, if you and your son are interested in getting into racing then I would definitely give him a chance and send him to Nastar Nationals. I'm proud to say that a number of my athletes have placed and/or won Nationals!

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Whoa! That is SO cool! I hope you can go. :smile:

gr8outdoors

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We're going!! My husband is working on finalizing reservations tonight.

This will be our first trip out west (for skiing anyway)! We are excited.

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh man! You're going to soil yourself! LMBO Have a GREAT time. :smile:

skihub

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Congratulations to your son!!! I am going also!!! I hear it is quite an experience to race at nationals and I am super excited. We'll have to PM each other and try to meet there.............

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
Hey I got that letter too! They must have changed the qualifiction standards LOl! Because I have only ran literally one Nastar run at Schuss Mt. this season( but it was a platinum). Apparently I am currently ranked #1 in my age group up there!:ROTF: Obviously pickings for female racers my age are slim pickens! Although I was shocked at my handicap! You don't realize how much you slow down as you age! :faint:So much for a tune and needing wax! By the way your son would be a J5 racer not a J2. However if he were exempemlary in his skill level on the course, he could petition to be a "J4 special" but that is rare. But by all means get him into racing if he enjoys it! :thumbsup: it is a great way to form live long friendships and build self-confidence!:thumbsup:

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
Sorry Robyn I just read where you covered the age rankings! :redface: Gr8outdoors you will love Steamboat!!! Tell your little guy goodluck!

skihub

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am not sure how you qualifed for NASTAR nationals previously, but now you have to finish in the top 3 at any resort in your age and category. Nastar.com explains all the rules, results, etc. It is not a perfect system, but I think it does a great job of getting people interested in racing and improving their overall skiing.

We have had a lot fun with it this year, and plan to continue that fun in Steamboat. I can't wait to free ski there also!!:smile:

See you there GR8outdoors!!!!!!!!

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Congratulations!!!! Best wishes to him!

skimomma24

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow! Congratulations to your son! I hope you guys have a great, fun trip, and that he is able to learn a lot from the other racers!

And congrats to the others going as well! :smile:

ZealouslyB

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Regardless of the qualifying criteria, it's great that your son has that affirmation and chance to ski the 'big league' at Steamboat. Congrats!!

I don't necessarily agree with getting him into USSA ASAP. I grew up as a racer and ended up being turned off by the culture, which can in some clubs become snobby, all about the individual and overly competetive. Not to mention that it's super expensive to get into racing at that level. Anyway I say let him bask in the glow of his qualifier, maybe put him in some advanced classes or a club for a bit and see how he likes racing. If he's really into it- great! Go for it. If he doesn't like either the racing, the level of commitment or the culture- then you don't. No harm, no foul.

gr8outdoors

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We will see how this "big race" goes and let him decide if he still wants to pursue racing. Our home mountain has a 12 week class on Saturdays (I think from 9-3, but I'm not sure on the time) that he can sign up for, one of which is geared toward future racers. He may very well do that next season and then he can choose what he wants to do after that!

My husband and I are the supportive parents, not the pushy type (lucky for our son!)

It's good to hear so many different points of view on the racing subject!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How wonderful for all of you!

Nationals is an amazing experience and you'll have a wonderful time, even if you aren't racing, and no matter how he does. The Nastar group, as a whole, is very, very welcoming and you may find that some racers will be happy to give him some pointers.

If you haven't yet, get on the Nastar site and register for the forum. If you post up in the Nationals section, you may be able to hook up with others from your area. Keep an eye out for a Nastar Open in the east next year, too.

Good luck to him, have fun, and enjoy this experience.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga