• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

My ski rack flew open on highway

slipnslide

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The unthinkable happened last weekend - My front rack flew open as I left the resort. I thought I had pushed it all the way down and locked it, but apparently it did not catch. I was carrying three pairs of skis and a snowboard. The snowboard flew off the car and landed on the side of the road. The truck behind me must have seen it happening because it backed way off. I heard the board hit the top of the car as it broke loose and then watched it land in the rearview mirror. To make matters worse, by the time we turned around to retrieve the board, it was gone :mad: I thought you could only lock them if they were firmly clamped down...not so.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
That's terrible! And I can't believe the board was missing when you went back!

I did once see someone driving with their ski rack wide open, so I honked at them til they pulled over and fixed it. Luckily, they weren't going very fast and the skis hadn't fallen off.

I always put my skis in the back of the car, so this isn't a problem for me. But I guess this shows it's a good idea to check your racks before you go.

slipnslide

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, it sure does stink, but I am grateful that no one got hurt and the board was the least valuable of all the equipment. The skis were laid back to back and still firmly held by the rear rack. I just bought the racks about a month ago because we were taking so many weekend trips that I wanted more space in the back of the Subaru. Anyway, i'm looking for a deal on a Burton Feelgood 149 with bindings. If you have any leads, please let me know :cool:

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's horrible!

I'm glad no one got hurt. Sucks about the board :( . Have you called customer service for the rack company? I wonder if it was a malfunction and you can get it replaced, or get anything for it.

Jilly

Staff member
That's why I like my box. But like Ski Diva we usually just put everything in the truck. Oh and this Diva is driving a brand new Equinox. 2 1/2 weeks old with 2600km on it already. Because of the factory racks, I have to buy or borrow a Yakima box. The Thule won't fit. Lucky for me, my friend that owns the ski shop has both!

marta

Angel Diva
Sorry slipnslide, that really stinks!
p.s Advice to everyone - keep your rack locked when it's empty! Mine was stolen off the top of my car in the parking lot last year because I left it open (like everyone else does...) :mad:

Lilgeorg

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I believe you may have a homeowner's claim for the snowboard. I suggest you call your insurance agent. I know that stolen skis are covered under most policies. Property away from home clause. Worth a try.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good point. Even renters' insurance frequently covers personal property stolen from vehicles. I've a friend who had luggage in his car parked outside on my street; the car was broken into and all the luggage stolen, and I believe the insurance covered a portion of it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna