• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

MRI with dye

Ski Fanatic Mom

Certified Ski Diva
So,has anyone had one of these? I am into my sixth month of recovering from a tibial plateau compression fracture (NOS). The fracture has healed nicely but walking for distances is still an issue.

I see the doctor again in 6 weeks for re-evaluation, and if the walking still creates a problem, he wants to do an MRI of my knee with dye.

The problem.....I am NEEDLE PHOBIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BIG TIME!!!!!!

Has anyone had this type of MRI ? Does the dye go into a vein or into the knee joint (I would have a coronary on the table!). I've heard conflicting methods.

It's not easy to admit what a medically paranoid baby I am - but it is what it is...

...any info would be appreciated!

PS When they have to do painful procedures, why can't they roll in a tank of nitrous oxide? If the dentist can put you in
"La-La" land for fillings, why should doctors make us suffer through the pain of huge needles???? Am Ithe only "chicken" out there? :eek:

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The dye goes through an IV, not through your knee (ouch!)

At our hospital, if a pt (whether it be an in-patient or and out patient) that has problems with MRIs (ie claustraphobia) then a nurse or a doctor with administer conscious sedation for the pt to be able to tolerate the procedure.

I'm not sure how it works as an outpatient, but I'm assuming that you can go one of two ways:
1: Have your own personal physician give you a prescription for an anti-anxiety drug like xanax, valium or ativan to take prior to the MRI
2: Ask the person you make the appointment with what you need to do to have conscious sedation during the procedure.

Either way, make sure you have someone driving you to & from the appointment.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
From a truly serious dental chicken (my dentist doesn't use NO2): Oxazepam 10 mg "Take 2-4 capsules by mouth (....how else....:rolleyes:....never mind) one hour prior to appt. Do not drive for 12 hours following ingestion of medication." OMG, this stuff should be illegal. When I filled, pharmacist looked at rx, then at me, and asked, "FOUR????" :eek: So I only took 2. Didn't even know where I was, ha. (Take along iPod/mp3, really helps)

Ski Fanatic Mom

Certified Ski Diva
Chicken!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Ski Nurse and Maine Ski Lady! Deep down inside, I feel I have a tear in there somewhere...I want to call my doctor and say "Just order the damned thing" !

I am happy to hear I have some options to reduce anxiety AND that I am not the only chicken out there...(Thanks! Maine Ski Lady!) :wink:

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
MRI

I work in MRI . The contrast agent is Gadolinium and not really a dye. It is not the type used in X-ray. Very few patients, and I mean rarely, might have an allergic reaction. Gadolinium is injected with a small butterfly needle and the needle is removed prior to continuation of the scan. In and out very quickly. These techs are so good at this that most people hardly feel anything at all. The only time an IV is put in --where the needle catheter stays in your arm-- is for some abdominal exams where an auto-injector is used. Similar to the one used in CT if you're receiving a test with IV contrast rather than drinking it. MRI is quite different than CT too.

Regarding claustrophobia: Scanners today are four feet long. Not the old nine-footer hotdog buns. Most folks are surprised to discover that MRI is not what their friends have (unfortunately) told them about. I see more patients who think they need sedation or a little
Valium because of what they've heard from others. A knee MRI will not even require you to be inside the bore of the magnet. Only your leg...your head will be close to the "tube" but not in. The area to be examined will need to be in the center of the magnet, but there is light at both ends; the back is not enclosed.

I would'nt be getting too worked up over the test. It's pretty darn simple. And no, no injection into the knee. It will be administered in your arm like a blood test, but with a needle so small, you won't even feel it. The gadolinium is cold. You may feel that! Most knee MRI exams are done without contrast. If there was a prior surgery to that knee or histroy of cancer, then contrast might be ordered.
If the tech feels that contrast (not called dye, because it isn't) is unecessary based on your history, the exam will be performed without it.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
just thought of something...

I forgot to mention that there is an exam called an Arthrogram. It can be done with MRI. This test starts with an MRI scan, then is continued in the X-ray department with an injection...sorry to say, into the afflicted area being examined, x-rayed, then back to MRI for the conclusion of the study. This is all done at once; MRI to X-ray-to MRI. Then you're done! FWIW, I have yet to hear a patient complain about any pain here either. Lidocaine is administered before the Gadolinium injection. Gadolinium is not a radioactive contrast agent. MRI is magnetic, not a radiation modality like x-ray or CT, therefore uses Gadolinium. I also used to work in Ultrasound. Lidocaine was given at the sites where a biopsy needle would be introduced; liver, kidneys, thyroid, breast, etc.; no one ever mentioned any pain during these biopsies!!! And believe me...they looked like they might hurt, but patients said all they could feel was a little pressure.

"Better living through chemistry." Isn't that Dupont's slogan?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna