• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Movin' out west! Where would you go?

Kriss240

Certified Ski Diva
I've finally decided to make the big move from NYC to the mountains. Chasing the dream. Everytime I go to CO or UT I never want to come back east - so this time I'm just going to stay. I'm thinking Breck or Park City - both awesome towns, yet easy access to airports/cities. Any advice? and if you were going to move where would you go?

skigirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
questions

Ask yourself a few questions.
1. Job opportunities: Which area has the better job opportunities for you?
2. Other interests: We know you love to ski but what else do you like to do in spring, summer, and fall? Which area offers your other interests?
3. Do you want to buy a house or rent? Look at real estate prices and overall cost of living.
4. Can you actually make enough money in UT or CO to support the life syle you want?

I hope these help.

skigirl

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We moved from Cincy 2 years ago. We chose Lakewood, a suburb of Denver, because of its proximity to the mtns, 1 hr, 20 mins from Copper, the accessibility of biking trails, paved and unpaved, and the greenspace offered by Jefferson County.

However, we are retired so we can avoid the weekend crowds at the ski areas. We found the housing prices to be higher here than in Cincy but we bought in an older neighborhood which helped keep our price down. Oddly enough, our house here was 100,000 more than our house in Cincy but our property taxes are lower.

Try this website to help you narrow down your choices. https://www.findyourspot.com/ I took the quiz and my no. 1 place turned out to be Denver, Co.! :D

Kathi

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Top 3 Considerations

1) Occupation, some areas will be easier to find work in
2) Cost of living, some areas are really expensive to live and the jobs don't pay as well. Are you willing to commute?
3) Are you trying to get away from people and big city life or just wanting to be closer to skiing and mountains.

abc

Banned
Everytime I go to CO or UT I never want to come back east - so this time I'm just going to stay. I'm thinking Breck or Park City - both awesome towns, yet easy access to airports/cities.
The place you like on a short visit may or may not be the stuff dreams are made of when you live there year round.

Any advice? and if you were going to move where would you go?

I probably have different preference than you. So the place I would move to may not be for you.

I would go to Whistler.

Airport is an hour away at Vancouver, which itself is a vibrant city yet remain friendly.

It's the biggest skiing area of the entire North America, bar none. Need I say more?

Or I forgot to mention, there's summer skiing in Blackcomb.

Darn expensive to live. But I have the means, if I so desire.

Except I'm not THAT crazy about skiing. And my Mom lives here (NYC). I want to be close by.

Besides, it's an awful long way from Europe, to which I'm in love with (currently).

nelsapbm

Certified Ski Diva
If I had to choose between Park City & Breck, I'd go with Park City. I liked the skiing in Utah much better. Plus, you are closer to the city for it's shopping, culture, airport, jobs, etc.

Gina23

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I moved from St. Louis, Missouri (AKA Hell on Earth) to Denver last year at this time. I had known for 10 years I wanted to move here. My advice would be to take your travel experiences and use them. If there is a place that really spoke to you and really made you feel like you could love it, trust your intuition. If you haven't travelled to the places you are thinking about moving you should do so promptly.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Many options have been bantered around about the best place to move if you're going to move to ski country......Utah, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, among others.(although I think Colorado has the highest cost of living)
What I know is this........
When the love of my life makes the move west, it won't take much for me to get my stuff packed and ready to go!:smile:

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
I might pick Salt Lake City. I don't know about you, but I really like living in a city. As much as I like Breck and Park City, I feel like if I lived there year-round I'd get pretty bored. Plus, SLC offers public transportation into both Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons, which is really convenient. Also super-close to both the airport and mountains. I don't know if there's anywhere else you can be that close to a city, the airport and the mountains.

My only concerns about SLC are that might be too homogenous, population-wise, and too conservative. But if I were seriously considering moving out west, that's the place I'd look into first.

Breckenridge is nice, but it can get expensive to live there. If you want to be in the mountains....near a lot of skiing....but not break the bank, think about the Grand Lake area. It's near Winter Park...has affordable housing. Is close to Sol Vista. and only a short drive to Steamboat, Breckenridge, Copper Mountain, Keystone, Vail and Beaver Creek. Also....the Eagle Valley has affordable housing. It is east of Beaver Creek and Vail and is a nice location (city like), but near the mountain towns...and close to Glenwood springs, too!

Believe me, I thank my LUCKY STARS that my family settled here in Colorado 5 generations ago! Being Native is lucky.....staying native is a choice! I LOVE COLORADO!!!!!

Lisamarie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Summit County Colorado does have FREE public transportation throughout the county. I know, I am a non-driving former New Yorker. Also, believe it or not, you never get bored out here. The key thing is making a living...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga