• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic/SE Notes for Off Season, Summer 2021

marzNC

Angel Diva
Although there is obviously no snow during the summer, most MidA/SE ski resorts have plenty of activities during the off-season. There is standard fun like high ropes, alpine slides, or water parks. There is always maintenance work for lifts and snowmaking infrastructure. A few resorts are installing new lifts or renovating lodges.

Anything happening on the slopes of your home mountain in the MidA/SE? Do you go for summer activities?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Bear Creek Mountain Resort near Allentown has not been one of the eastern PA locations I've been curious to check out. But they have a special activities set up that summer that sounds like a lot of fun. It's a bunch of long water slides, as in backyard slip-and-slide, accessed by riding the chairlift. There is a Utah company that sets up the water slides at a few places during the summer. Presale tickets $25 before July 16, and $35 after that. Sessions last 2 hours, which is pretty typical for snow tubing too.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Timberline continues to add snowmaking infrastructure. Snowmaking pipe is being replaced along Winterset. There will be more fixed snow guns when the season starts up. Presumably all the renovations for the base lodge will be completed, if they aren't already.

seastraight

Certified Ski Diva
We took a group of golfers to Liberty Mountain a few weeks ago for an overnight golf package. The course was lovely, nestled among the hills. And surprise! an Epic pass gets you a discount on the course if you are not on a package, but the package rate was very reasonable. IMHO, the golf is far more challenging than the slopes!

marzNC

Angel Diva
The man who's been running a discount ticket program for Liberty for years is trying to get NASTAR there. He has a Change .org set up to present to Liberty management and Vail Resorts in general. Hoping for 200 supporters and has almost 150 so far.

alison wong

Angel Diva
The man who's been running a discount ticket program for Liberty for years is trying to get NASTAR there. He has a Change .org set up to present to Liberty management and Vail Resorts in general. Hoping for 200 supporters and has almost 150 so far.
It is Roundtop, not Liberty. There is a petition to keep the NASTAR course at Roundtop.

Liberty does not have a NASTAR course.

marzNC

Angel Diva
It is Roundtop, not Liberty. There is a petition to keep the NASTAR course at Roundtop.

Liberty does not have a NASTAR course.
Oops, posted too fast. The creator posts often on DCSki about Liberty. Ultimately he would like Vail Resorts to have NASTAR in more resorts in general.

Personally, I have no interest in NASTAR or ski racing in general.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Years ago I did NASTAR wherever I went..... and usually got a bronze or sometimes silver..... Vail, Snowmass, Whistler, Heavenly to name a few. I'm not super fast or anything and this was over 20 years ago... guess a daily pacesetter sets the time and then you're grouped by age..... Anyhow, always thought it was fun. I'm not a competitive type and definitely don't toot my own horn about my skiing. Or anything for that matter.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Guess the leisure industry is already gearing up for winter as Labor Day approaches. Although in North Carolina school starts by the second or third week of August, so summer vacation for some families will be over that much sooner.

For those unfamiliar with skiing in NC, here's a good introduction. There has been snowmaking in the NC mountains since the 1960s. With elevations over 5000 ft near Boone, there was enough natural snow for tiny hills to start up in the 1970s, but only the ones that invested in snowmaking survived into the 21st century. Cataloochee is on the Indy Pass. The two smallest mountains, Cat and Appalachian, are often in the running for first to open and last to close since they have great snowmaking and not that many acres to cover. Each has about 25 acres and are great places for beginners to learn.

July 24, 2021

marzNC

Angel Diva
The situation may be changing a bit for folks who ski in eastern PA. Although not that much is likely to change for skiers/boarders in the short run. It depends on whether Blue and Camelback offer any type of dual season pass or free days at the other resort for season pass holders.

KSL Resorts will operate both Camelback and Blue starting with the 2021-22 season. The Tuthill family remains in charge of the new BMR Resort company that now owns "33 parcels in Lower Towamensing Township." Barbara Green took over Bluein 2007 from her father, founder Ray Tuthill. She is an owner of BMR Resort and is the CEO.

August 9, 2021

Note that KSL Resorts in not the same company as KSL Capital Partners. KSL Capital was the co-founder of Alterra, which led to the Ikon multi-resort pass. Camelback is not on Ikon. I assume the same will be true for Blue.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Sounds like opening hours at Liberty, Roundtop, Whitetail will be the same as last season.

LIBERTY
  • Mon-Wed 9am to 8pm
  • Thurs-Fri 9am to 10pm
  • Sat 8am to 10pm
  • Sun 8am to 8pm
ROUNDTOP
  • Mon-Tues 9am-6pm
  • Wed – Sun 9am-9pm
Whitetail
  • Mon-Wed 9am-5pm
  • Thurs-Sun 9am-9pm

marzNC

Angel Diva
The J-bar at Massanutten that was used only for the big terrain park was dismantled this summer. Apparently the parts are for sale.

Last winter there was a new terrain park on the bottom half of Mass Transit, right after Yee Ha. I could tell in early January that Mass Transit had been widened but it took a while before there was enough snow to build the features.

Since the slope with the J-bar was originally a beginner slope, I heard that the pitch wasn't really quite enough for big terrain park features. Although there were college freestyle competitions held there for a while.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Not exactly for summer, but still for pre-season . . . Timberline has planned a few fun events for Sep-Oct 2021. Most involve activities outdoors. Wish it was bit closer to central NC. I would certainly consider the Leaf Peeper chairlift ride.

Screen Shot 2021-09-03 at 11.19.55 AM.png

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna