• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mammoth Mountain, CA Opens on Friday!

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Well, this was totally unexpected. A major rain storm was predicted to hit Mammoth. But it started as snow, and before it was over had dumped 5 feet of heavy wet base building snow at the top of the mountain. Lower down they got about 30 inches of snow and then unfortunately some rain, which served to compress the snow. :clap:

Well, Mammoth opens this Friday, Oct. 16, their 2nd earliest opening in history. :yahoo: They will start with Chair 1, Broadway Express, and will add chairs and terrain as they can get it open. :thumbsup:

This first picture shows Broadway and the lower mountain. That's Chair 1 in the background.

mam_1014_2.jpg

This second picture shows Chair 3 (Face Lift Express) looking toward the upper mountain. It's still a little cloudy (and maybe snowing!) up there. We hope that chair will be open by Saturday.

mam_1014_1.jpg

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Yup, no WROD (or even WROL!) for us this year.

Now let's hope it stays cool enough to not melt, and that some more snow falls soon, or snowmaking if needed.

C

CMCM

Boy oh boy oh boy is that a tempting sight. Up here at Tahoe we got all rained out and most, if not all the previous snow is gone. :(:(

I've got a couple of weeks down time after this weekend...I may seriously consider driving down to Mammoth. After my 2 days skiing last week, the bug has hit big time, and now it's a waiting game at Tahoe again...

Is Mammoth only open weekends, or during the week too?

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Mammoth will be open every day from now until June or July. They should be opening up more lifts for the weekend and into next week.

We will probably be there at least through Tuesday, maybe Weds. if we're having too much fun. PM me if you come down.

Our next trip will probably be around Halloween, assuming they get some more snow or at least good snowmaking conditions before then.

Check out the webcams on Friday; you can also browse the forums without registering. Start at www.mammothmountain.com.

VTskiDiva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Looks nice! Have fun and let us know how it goes! I'll be crossing my fingers for more snow for you!:clap:

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Well, life is like a box of chocolates . . .

Friday Mammoth had free skiing and about a zillion people. They opened 3 chairs with top to bottom skiing. It was warm.

Saturday was warm.

Sunday was warm. Sunday was our first and last day. At 5 pm Mammoth announced that they were closing until another storm or some decent snowmaking temps. It was the right decision.

We had some fun skiing the upper mountain but skiing to the bottom was hideous. :(

mam_rocks.jpg

This was worse than the WROD because in my experience both A-Basin and Loveland have good coverage when they open their runs. Sometimes Keystone can be a little sketchy.

THINK SNOW!!

C

CMCM

Same thing happened here....although there wasn't free skiing! Basically, snow and the skiing lasted from Friday thru Sunday, then that was it until more storms! We actually got some snow recently on the upper peaks....very frustrating to see it but no snow at the lower levels! :(

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga