• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mag reviews on 2008

Jilly

Staff member
Well Skiing hit the newstand this weekend. I've been pouring over it to see how "the experts" felt about skis that I tried last year for this coming season. It seems that the ladies skis are a big hit with testers and I guess that of the ones that I was able to try, we seem to be in agreement. SkiCanada and SkiPress won't be out till September. The one interesting thing about the SkiCanada Buyers Guide is that they list all the skis, boots, etc in one issue. They might not test all the skis, but at least they do tell you there is more than what is tested. I couldn't find one pair of Salomon skis that I tried in the unisex line, in the Skiing test. Must not have made the cut, but I'm not surprised. Didn't make mine either. So if you don't see the ski you want or tried somewhere, it might still be out there in the shop. Skiing didn't go into any skis lower than advanced. There are alot of people out there who are not advanced skiers. Might want to be but aren't, and don't need that advanced of a ski. SkiCanada and SkiPress will test these skis, knowing that they aren't the top of the line. Should be an interesting fall of reading!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got the Skiing Buyer's guide on Wednesday. I've been a bit surprised that some major stuff was not included in the tests.

One thing I immediately looked for was the Dalbello boot line.
They had the Krypton Pro, Proton, and Lotus, which were all available last year. I was hoping for some new 08 technology, like the Kryzma(for women) and Il'moro(for men).

I was happy to see the reviews for the Volkl Bridge and Aura, but disappointed that the only Elan Skis reviewed were the 999 and 1111.

There is a lot of good information, but as for the impact it will have on my buying............I would rather get the input from the Bears and Divas who have skied these skis, than a magazine that could be biased due to advertising dollars.

Jilly

Staff member
You noticed that too!! Elangirl did they not make the cut or were they not entered into the test?? Plus the ladies Volkl's?? I tried out a unisex ski from Salomon called the Aero. Its they're new Frontside line. No mention at all. All the Salomon's were X-wings. I really didn't like the Rossi Attraxion 3, thought it was too wozzie for an advanced ski, more like an intermediate. I didn't think that they did a good test on boots. But the input that is there is good for the research. We all know to take ski tests with "a grain of salt"!!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Someone on Epic posted some criteria for the skis tested, which I understand is based on what the ski manufacturers send for them to test.
A ski manufacturer may/may not provide a ski based on the place the tests are performed, or snow/ski conditions at the time of the test, do to the way that specific ski may perform in those conditions, or on that specific terrain.

I'll buy all of that as a reason, but still, why the boots? I'd think they'd want all the newest boots "out there"

Jilly

Staff member
I got that impression from the preamble to the test. Snowbird doesn't have our "eastern powder" otherwise known as hardpark conditions. But boots - yeah, why not more boots!! If your boots don't fit or are not comfortable, then it doesn't matter about the skis!! Obviously the money is in the skis, not the boots to the manufacturers! At NSIA there were only a couple of manufacturers with boots. Dalbello only had size 6 or 7 in the ladies line and I wasn't really interested in Head.

Jilly

Staff member
SKiCanada arrived at noon today. One thing I hate about this mag is that they do results of tests over 4 issues. Now if I'm going to buy skis and am using their magazine as a base of information I need that info now, not in December. But one thing I do like is a complete listing from all companies of all skis. I didn't get a good look at the reviews for on-piste skis. Quickly I only saw a couple of ladies specific skis listed. Remember the editor for this magazine and I had a discussion at Tremblant about the need for women's skis, so I don't expect much. Let you know as I get into it! SkiPress is still the best "test".

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh Jilly, I didn't realize they did it that way. I am not sure I'd like that at all.
4 issues?
Do they have some good information?

Jilly

Staff member
No the info is not all that good, infact for years they were accused of being bias to advertising $$. Alot of companies don't send their skis for testing. I see that they promise to do it all in 3 issues this year. I really like the SkiPresse test. It might not be out till October though. Could be online sooner.

Elangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Jilly,

I talked to the Elan rep after receiving Ski Skiing's Buyers Guide---he said that Elan does not spend enough advertising dollars to those magazines and that affects how many skis they can submit. I was truly surprised that neither magazine has ever mentioned the Wave technology----even though it won all kinds of awards in Europe. They did review the Free Spice, which is the women's powder ski, but not the Wave Spice---even though they reviewed so many Rossi and Solomon skis. I have skied Solomon's women's line and I am not impressed, so, I was surprised to see so many of them in the lineup.

But, I also agree that the Boot reviews suck big time. And, why don't they talk about the way the boot fits? I have a low volume foot and can not even think about wearing a Tecnica--so, for boots, I think fit is more important than anything else and they barely mention what type of foot would fit in the limited amount of boots they reviewed.

The new Brown boot for Dalbello---which I still can't spell--although it is pronouned Charisma----is for a lower volume foot than the Lotus or the Storm. It has a higher back---the same back at the Krypton pro---which makes it a little stiffer as well.

The boot toe box is the same as the Storm, but there are two tongues, like the Krypton Pro. One is the same as the men's boot, which also makes a stiffer boot. It also has the ID liner.

Last year I really struggled with my ID liner---but, as I spoke with the rep, I realized the problem. My boot fitter had a 24 liner and told me that it would work fine in my 25 boot---but, of course, it did not!!! The rep told me that I would have been better off with a bigger liner since the liner would have shrunk to fit the boot after the heating process, but a smaller liner could not possibly fit the boot even after the heating process. I felt like my liner slipped around inside the boot.

Usually I really enjoy the Buyer's Guides, but this year they seemed flat. For instance, I like to know what the tester's favorite skis are since I could find someone of my size and skill level and then see what she/he liked the best--but, that part is gone forever it seems. Also, I thought the boots were treated as an afterthought and really so few boots were discussed that it was uninteresting.

I guess the reality is that there are a ton of great skis on the market right now. And, espeically some wonderful women's skis. It is easier to try some, listen to some recommendations, like on this site and then to make your choice based on your own skill level, your size and weight and your preferred type of skiing.

I agree with Jilly, if you are a new skier it does not matter how great the Lotta Luv is----you have got to ski a ski that will bend for you and that will meet your needs. If you ski on groomed all the time, why would you want a wide ski? Etc, etc. That is one reason why I like this site so much---when I go onto Epic it seems like it is dominated by mine is bigger than yours type of thinking. Here, people really listen to one another and try to make suggestions that match the skier.

For me, as an instructor, I try to ski as many women's skis as possible; and this time of year, I go around to the stores and see what is on sale--and then try to talk to women about a ski that will meet their budget, their style of skiing and their type skiing (on piste, off piste or both) needs. Although I am biased to Elans because I have skied them for so long, I also try to talk about other skis as well. It is impossible to ignore the great skis that K2 produces for women, for instance.

Gee, it is nice to be talking about gear again---my addiction has been quiet over the summer, but I can feel my heart going pitter patter with happiness right now!!!

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know what you all mean about the magazine's lackluster ski reviews. I was left with the impression that they were hyping the Volkl Tiger Shark, and some of the super fat powder skis, but that was about it.
As the happy owner of Elans, I was also disappointed to see that there were only two reviews of Elan skis.

Jilly

Staff member
Well I perused Ski Canada last night and its a big disappointment. First they only reviewed on-piste groomers in this issue. Rest to come, so you'll buy the next 2 issues at least. Then there is whole section on each manufacturer and their new stuff mostly. The boots weren't reviewed at all, only what's new. Then inside the mag are 2 inserts - one for Whistler and one for the big box store - Sportchek. Now the Sportchek insert is another review of skis and stuff. As if I want a review of their "deck skis". The whole issue makes me wonder why I subscribe.

So as far as reviews on skis. They list 24 skis in both the GS turn and medium to short turns. Only 6 ladies skis made the cut and one of them is an unisex, not ladies specific. (Remember the editor doesn't think we need ladies skis!!)
GS groomer:
Atomic Super B - new version of the B-11. They liked it for long turns and edge grip
Head Power Thang - Liked it for long radius. I tried this thang at Tremblant last winter it left me lacking. Maybe I like medium turns??
K2 Burnin Luv - Liked it for Agility
Stockli Laser Cross - The only place I ever see Stockli is in a mag!

Medium to Short:
Atomic ST 12 pb. This is a unisex ski the women seem to love. Last year's ST model was a tuned down slalom ski, ST=short turns. And with Atomic the 12 usually means the turn radius. So this guy is short turns for sure.
Stockli Spirit Ed. VII - again has anyone ever seen Stockli in a store?

Before you ask: Rossi, Nordica, Fischer, Ogasaka, Salomon, Atomic, Head, K2, Movement, Head, Stockli were tested. Further in the listing for the Buyer's Guide, every manufacturer is on paper. Now for years they listed the manufacturer and every ski they made with the spec, price etc. This year - go on line.

Can't wait for the SkiPress issue. I still feel its the best review we have here in Canada on paper.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga