• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Lost Ski Stories

Squaw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ok Divas, I am curious to know of your woes and miracles with skis lost on powder days. Or any day for that matter. :eyebrows:

OK here is mine, from this last week's epic dump in the Sierra:

Key player: 17 year old son. Very aggressive, skilled freestyle and big mountain skier. Supporting players: best ski buddy of said son, patient mother, frustrated father, several back country shovels.

The Action Sequence:
1) said son drops Adrenaline, a noteworthy hunk of rock off the Headwall chair at Squaw Valley. About 70 feet drop at the moment. He stomps it, as the saying goes. Down on the groomer on the way back to the chair: OOPS, broken Gotamas. (I even saw him across the mountain, when I was on the chair, stop and lift his ski. I groaned, as I somehow "intuitively" :laughter: knew what was coming.)

2) Our hero talks mom and dad into a demo due to the epic powder. We take the bait. Oh foolish parents. Had to agree that skinny competition bump skis are not great in powder. I forgot about his old Karmas lurking in the team locker room.

3) Next morning, on Volkl Kuros ($$$$), second run, first turn, or rather first air into Dead Tree. Take clues from the name and the knowledge that this kid likes adventure as to what this chute is like. Double release on landing. OOPS forgot to crank up the DIN setting. UH UH:noidea: where DID that second ski go?

I'm on the chair, just getting off for my first run into still untracked powder and my phone rings with that special tune which is only my sweet baby boy. UH OH. Having just spoken 20 minutes ago about the other serious item in his life besides skiing -- the whereabouts of his yummy sandwich he'd left in the condo -- I knew that the call was either that he was hurt or had done something to the demo ski. :faint:

Good News: he is not hurt. Bad News: the demo is gone.

Cutting to the Chase: We slide, and we dig, and we scrape. 2 1/2 hours worth. Surprisingly a TON of skiers come down this chute (it is pretty fine in powder). But not a one bumps into a lone ski.

Now keep in mind this is one FAT sucker. The widest Volkl makes. How does a ski like that HIDE?

I talk to mountain security, who have encouraging words about the return rate on lost skis. I talk to the shop, and they assure me that they will reimburse us, even 3 months out. But in the meantime of course $812 please. Actually the ski is heavily discounted - it is the bindings making up a good part of the price!

The week goes by. Son and his team make frequent visits to Dead Tree. We spread the word to be on the lookout to all we know. No ski.

Yesterday IN THE RAIN, my husband, son and I head back to Dead Tree. Even with a metal detector we have talked the ski patrol into lending. No ski. 3 hours of shoveling sopping snow, foggy goggles, freezing hands, shortening tempers. And on a degree of slope you stop and think about.

So can anyone give me hope? What do you think our chances are of this ski turning up?

Son's coach is actually making some calls to his rep contacts, seeing if nothing else we can get a good aka cheap price on the binding and/or ski, to offer to the shop as a replacement. And of course we are still in the market for a new powder ski. (Anyone got a good one at about 185 out there!?):doh: Needless to say, we have new agreements in our family for demos: if you rent it, you need your own funds in place that day to buy it. Please welcome one more 17 year old to the world of adult accountability.:attention:

OK, now for your stories. I need something to commiserate with or make me laugh.

Jen

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
SkiNurse has a REALLY good story about a ski loss at Vail. I think she is sans computer at the moment. Or---perhaps you can just hunt down her story in the search function? I'm sure she'll contribute when able.

Oh yeah. Not fun. At. All.
You might have to try to hunt it down in July. That's when son and I found a lost kid's ski from a fall and lost ski the prior FEBRUARY.

Squaw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
yes, I will be out on that stretch of hill each weekend from now until we find it! And as the snow melts, I'll carry my hiking boots to scramble on the rocks! Dead Tree will now be the Family Run.

My hope is that whoever finds it will turn it in, and not keep it for a souvenir. Particularly anyone finding it once the ski season ends. Though it is in very rugged terrain. No trails in that area that I know of. I saw a ski on a hike last summer - I put it by the dirt road the crews use for summer work, so hopefully it made it back to the owner. But from now on, I will report it to the security office.

Jen

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
FWIW, when we found that ski in July (knew who owned it, wanted to clean it up and ship it, as DH had been the instructor of that group in Feb) and took it to security to report it "found," we could not BELIEVE how many unclaimed skis were there!! :eek: So....keep hunting, and hope for the best.....How did he wind up getting down to base?

Squaw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
FWIW, when we found that ski in July (knew who owned it, wanted to clean it up and ship it, as DH had been the instructor of that group in Feb) and took it to security to report it "found," we could not BELIEVE how many unclaimed skis were there!! :eek: So....keep hunting, and hope for the best.....How did he wind up getting down to base?

ah, that is hopeful thinking.

He manages :jealous: on one ski often better than I do on two.... though as he went down even the groomer, he kept popping out of the binding. He then went an got another set of skis and the shovels.

Jen

Squaw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Groan!!! What a story, SkiNurse! Sigh. OK I did think yesterday, that I was thankful Dead Tree is on KT22, and is fairly accessible. I hike a trail near there frequently in the summer -- maybe a 30 minute walk from our condo. You help me keep it in perspective.:laughter:

Jen

altagirl

Staff member
My husband lost a ski at Alta over on Supreme. We are friends with the lift supervisor there and she kept an eye out for it over the summer and found it when it melted out of the snow in August. There is hope! And in addition to making sure the resort office knows you're looking for it, I'd chat up the lift supervisor and find out who works there in summer and offer them a reward if they find it.

That said - be sure you are looking WAY below where the ski was lost. The one that I lost several years ago (luckily only for 45 min or so) was probably 200 yards below where I stopped. It kept traveling all the way to the bottom and luckly someone saw it wedged in a tree at the bottom of the run. And remember they don't always travel straight down either - it could be at the bottom and way off in either direction too.

Squaw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Morning altagirl! I am more and more appreciating the fact that where the ski was lost is at our home ski area and within a reasonable hike! Yes, I did file a report with security, who handles lost & found, and I will keep dropping into the office to check. Maybe even with a batch of cookies in hand.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna