• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Looking for new skis - need some advice!

skinut97

Diva in Training
I'm looking for new skis and in doing so am beginning to drive myself crazy! Esp. since most men's/unisex skis this year are way too long for me and thus, I'm limited to the women's skis.

Current skis:
Salomon Scream P10 Hot 155 (unisex/men's) skis. I like them alot, but they are getting a bit worn (bought 4 yrs ago).
Also Head Wild Thang 150 skis (bought very *cheap*, 08 model). I find them great for short turns, but I overpower them in steeper terrain.

Me:
47, 5' 6", 125 lbs. Advanced level. Ski mostly in New England, sometimes out west. Average about 50+ days a year.

What I ski:
I *love* skiing powder, soft corn snow, and in ungroomed, but as I'm in New England, I am often on icy groomers. When the snow is good or I'm out west, I do trees and bumps.

What I've demo'ed recently:
Salomon Jade (156) - found them way too light. Volkl Attiva Tierra (mid 150s) - wanted to just carve, which is not for me. Nordica Olympias - again, carving machines. Out west I demo'ed some Head Fat Thangs (156) which I loved in the powder (fun and responsive).

I'm looking for something that is similar to the Head Wild Thangs, but I'm afraid that the 160s might be too long. Or do others think otherwise (I'm going to try to find a demo in that length)? Am looking for options in the mid-high 150s. I like a beefy ski, but still want it to be light/nimble enough to do powder, trees, bumps. I also like to just let it rip down a groomer. Ability to deal with ice is a must too. Do not want a ski that mostly just carves.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Jilly

Staff member
Salomon - go up to the Origins, Jade not stiff enough for you.
Nordica's - try the Conquer, not really a craver at 84mm waist.
Atominc - 7th Heaven

jaydog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In terms of length, you should try demoing something longer, just to see whether or not it works for you. For reference, I am 5'5", 135lbs, and my skis are 164cm Fischers. Different skis work differently in different lengths- a 161cm Volkl did not work for me. And another ski I would recommend looking into is the Fischer Vision Vapor.

ski4ever

Diva in Training
You're my height/age -- and I skiied a bunch of skiis last year looking for replacements to my women's k2 t9s. I am an advanced, classic skier -- love speed and the steep/deep. I am much heavier than you from serious cycling/weight training however. I skiied all the high end demos - mens and womens - settled on the Nordica Top Fuels 158cm. Totally solid at speed but responsive to weight shift/edging. The thing that really tipped me back to mens' skis was the stability at speed. My daughter who barely weights 100 @ 5 feet picked Rossignol B2 Bandits - womens ski. Looks for a demo day at the local area and hit the mid-range mens shaped skis -- they will have them and the guys won't want them cuz 158-161 will be too short for them! --kim

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm looking for new skis and in doing so am beginning to drive mys
Me:
47, 5' 6", 125 lbs. Advanced level. Ski mostly in New England, sometimes out west. Average about 50+ days a year.

What I ski:
I *love* skiing powder, soft corn snow, and in ungroomed, but as I'm in New England, I am often on icy groomers. When the snow is good or I'm out west, I do trees and bumps.

What I've demo'ed recently:
Salomon Jade (156) - found them way too light. Volkl Attiva Tierra (mid 150s) - wanted to just carve, which is not for me. Nordica Olympias - again, carving machines. Out west I demo'ed some Head Fat Thangs (156) which I loved in the powder (fun and responsive).

I'm looking for something that is similar to the Head Wild Thangs, but I'm afraid that the 160s might be too long. Or do others think otherwise (I'm going to try to find a demo in that length)? Am looking for options in the mid-high 150s. I like a beefy ski, but still want it to be light/nimble enough to do powder, trees, bumps. I also like to just let it rip down a groomer. Ability to deal with ice is a must too. Do not want a ski that mostly just carves.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.
The Head Wild One's(Thangs last year) would be idea. They tend to ski short, so I'd go for the 161 in that ski!!!
another ski I'd suggest, and one that I'm looking at very hard is the Rossi CX80. Do yourself a favor and try it!

skinut97

Diva in Training
ski advice - thanks!

Thanks for all of the great advice. I always try to hit the free demo booths in addition to mountain ski shops for demos. So, now I have some skis to look for at these places.

Also, I hadn't really thought about the different skis skiing differently at different lengths. Makes sense. I just sort of figured, since my Salomon Screams worked so well for me at 155 (and demos 4-5 yrs ago at 160+ were too long), that I should stick with that length. So, I'll be more flexible in my ski lengths in the future.

Jilly

Staff member
To add to SnowHot's suggestion the Rossi CX80 is actually the 9X oversize in a different top sheet. It's a tuned down GS racer. And stiff too. Shortest is 160. The CS70 is the 9S oversized. More of a slalom ski, but it does come shorter at 155. And I was told by the rep that the 154 doesn't have the metal in it so not as stiff.

Oh and my Conquer's are 162. I'm 2" shorter than you!

Get out the demo!!
Many of the instructors at Tremblant are on these skis or earlier versions.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
To add to SnowHot's suggestion the Rossi CX80 is actually the 9X oversize in a different top sheet. It's a tuned down GS racer. And stiff too. Shortest is 160. The CS70 is the 9S oversized. More of a slalom ski, but it does come shorter at 155. And I was told by the rep that the 154 doesn't have the metal in it so not as stiff.

Oh and my Conquer's are 162. I'm 2" shorter than you!

Get out the demo!!
Many of the instructors at Tremblant are on these skis or earlier versions.
That is great info Jilly, thanks!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Surprised you didn't like the Tierras.
Seconding Jilly's Atomic 7th Heaven.
Tried K2 Lotta Luv? Another possibility, given your preferences. I've got your stats (except I'm older, ha), have demo'd the Lotta in 160 in mixed conditions (pow-light to hardpack), very nice. They like speed.

Am basing recommends based on your preference for "beefy," in which case I'll pass on recommending what I currently use in mega-mixed conditions: Dynastar Exclusive Legend Powder (similar to Wild Thang). This ski is decidedly light and nimble, no beef - but a blast nonetheless. (fast) I'm on a 165. Love having the extra length, FWIW. Don't sell yourself "short!" :nono:

canski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another vote for Fischer Vision Vapor - similar to the Vision 76's (158) that I have had for 3 or 4 years. I also love my unisex Fischer RX8 in 155 that I got the end of last season - although it is 65 or 66 underfoot and a great carver, it is great in so much else, including last spring's powder. I am 56, 5'5, 120 lb and advanced/expert NH skier, so know the conditions you ski on! I demo'd the Wild Thang a year ago and prefer the Fischers. A male friend of mine thinks the RX8 is the best allmountain Eastern ski there is.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga