• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Looking at Blizzard Black Pearl 88s as replacements for Rockettes

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As for length, I could easily ski the 166 BPs but they weren't as maneuverable, hence why I actually downsized to the 159. Caveat is I also like to rip groomers BUT I am overall a cautious skier and I appreciate the added ability to maneuver the shorter skis in crud and chop and occasional moguls. I think you'd be happy on either. They are SO easy to ski. So ask yourself this: is ripping the groomers fast a priority, or is maneuvering in moguls one?

GaSkier

Certified Ski Diva
Much to think about with all of the information you all have provided to me. Since I avoid moguls at all costs (just don't have much fun on them and don't want to devote short yearly ski vacations to learning to ski them properly), usually spend time ripping groomers only if fun chop and powder not available for playing. And my knees might protest loudly at bombing down moguls (ha! as if I could bomb down moguls). Once wandered a bit far while skiing Kirkwood and somehow ended up in a mogul field where the moguls were the size of Volkswagens with a smattering of trees scattered about to make things interesting. THAT was some work! :fear:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Much to think about with all of the information you all have provided to me. Since I avoid moguls at all costs (just don't have much fun on them and don't want to devote short yearly ski vacations to learning to ski them properly), usually spend time ripping groomers only if fun chop and powder not available for playing. And my knees might protest loudly at bombing down moguls (ha! as if I could bomb down moguls). Once wandered a bit far while skiing Kirkwood and somehow ended up in a mogul field where the moguls were the size of Volkswagens with a smattering of trees scattered about to make things interesting. THAT was some work! :fear:
Haha! I resemble that remark!

Blondeinabmw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey, GA skier! I'm a fellow Georgia resident and Rockette owner. I weigh a whole, whole lot more than you, am 43 years old and am a couple inches taller, so I can totally understand how the Rockettes seem heavy to someone with your build. Because you ski out west and like to shred the groomers, I would go with the longer BP, personally. The Rockettes ski short, IMO. Is there nowhere you can demo them beforehand? Not sure where you are going in 2019, but I noticed last season in Breckenridge, just about everywhere had rental/demo Black Pearls. When I bought my Rockettes, the Black Pearls were nowhere to be found for demos except over at Copper Mountain.

GaSkier

Certified Ski Diva
Oh, thanks so much for the input. I'm glad that it's not just my imagination that the Rockettes are a bit on the heavy side for me. Good to hear yet another person weigh in on the length issue. Never thought I'd say it, but it's easier deciding on a new hairstyle than a new pair of skis. And I'm really picky about my hair. LOL! :loco:

We're heading to Targhee or Big Sky and I've decided to buy a new pair of skis for myself for Christmas (and my other half). So, no chance to demo, but I'm sure (with all the good advice I've gotten from the Ski Divas), that I'll be happy with my purchase of the Black Pearls. Now, just have to bite the bullet and order the darn things (and still need to decide on bindings).

So, interested in another pair of Rockettes? Might be selling a slightly used pair. Ha ha!

GaSkier

Certified Ski Diva
Update on the BP88s I bought.

I now have a pair of brand new, only been skied on 5 days total, 166 Blizzard BP 88s that I didn't like at all.

I didn't feel the love of an all mountain ski across multiple conditions when I was on them (even had knee deep powder). Although the BP 88s didn't have the flotation I assumed they would have, they performed well enough on icy hard pack and groomed conditions well (they like speed). I didn't find them as responsive to my skiing style as expected (advanced intermediate that likes to also ski blacks unless they're moguls) and they didn't seem particular quick and lively to me (even with another ski tune to make sure that wasn't the problem). Skis seemed to require more effort on my part than should have. A friend I was with was skiing the exact same ski and had similar complaints.
So I bought a pair of 161cm Santa Ana 93s during the Solitude, Utah trip a few weeks ago (as did my friend who bought last years' Santa Ana 93 model, same ski). I loved the Santa Anas from the first run on! Skied them in knee deep powder, hard pack, soft crud, scraped (icy), and groomed (blue/black runs). Performed really well for me and plenty fast. Great turn radius, can bounce around in crud, and get them up on edge quickly with little effort.

Now I want to sell the the BP88s. Suggestions on the best way to do so (I'm in the south, so no local swap or market for them) appreciated.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna