• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Leaving the Poles at Home

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, what is it about poles?

I can't decide if I like them or hate them.

When I'm using them, they get into trouble, and drag me along with them -- or not.

When I'm NOT using them, I notice a huge difference in my skiing!

We were at Grand Targhee a month or so ago, skiing powder. I got so that I was holding my poles up in the air, hands outstretched much like I find myself doing when I ski with the kids when I'm not using my poles (have a four-year-old skier in my life who needs help on and off the lift, and other things that make leaving poles home handy)

DH asked what the heck was I doing. Yeah, I'm sure it looked goofy, but my poles kept getting stuck in the snow, so I was keeping them out of my way.

Didn't think much more about it until today, when I was out with the four year old again, skiing powder (he said, "too bad grampa's not here, he'd be all powdered up!") and realized I was skiing powder better than ever. Then remembered I was skiing soft snow with the older one the other day, having no problem with bumps and catching air, and other childish delights.

The following day, I had my poles, and on the same runs I didn't feel the same confidence. Not to say I lacked confidence, I just didn't feel the same confidence. there was no flying.

I got to wondering, should I chuck the poles altogether?

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Your problems with poles suggests, not an actual problem with poles, but a stance/technique problem elsewhere, like, maybe, too far in the back seat, steering with the shoulders, leaning into the hill, etc.

I'd suggest lessons to learn what it is you're actually supposed to be doing with your poles with analysis to find out where your other issues lie. JMHO.

Atomica

Certified Ski Diva
I had the exact same issues with my poles when I started learning. I could not use them for some reason, they did not make me feel balanced or safe. Turns out that my boots were VERY badly fitted (my feet were swimming in boots that were too big and the wrong shape for my feet) and it threw me so off balance that because I was struggling to balance in the boots, I could not focus on using the poles. Also, I was on skis that were way too short for me, and that affect the balance issue as well. I was frustrated in the end because I could have progressed much faster had I known about the fitting problem.

Suggestion would probably be to check with a professional to make sure the equipment is right; and then maybe take a quick lesson to learn the basics of using the poles. Good luck!

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I use my poles quite a bit (pole plants) and can ski without them but have to pretend I'm using them. :laugh: I forgot my poles last weekend and had to rent them. :redface: I could NOT ski bumps without them.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
"there was no flying" My sentiments exactly.. I ditched mine 20yrs ago and now with shaped skis I don't miss them at all.. Yes! Bumps are VERY hard without poles, I like the challenge and do love spring bumps.. and are needed in the Trees and Deep Powder they make skiing easier. imo. BALANCE Is the Basis for Great Skiing. No Pole skiing makes you be balanced, it's spooky being off w/out outriggers to save you..
Most important are Lessons to Teach Correct Form & Proper Pole techniques. and I have had instructors change their opinion of 'no pole' skiing after they've taken a few runs with me. Technique-balance & strength make skiing great & great skiers- I always have my hands down the fall line and still 'set my turn' with my hand but don't have the pole plant. I think It's Way more fun to 'fly' with out poles. FUN is the Most important Part!!

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I took 5-day class over Christmas and one day instructor had us skiing without poles. We didn't go in bumps or off-piste, but we skied fairly steep red slopes. And during a private lesson instructor made me ski top to bottom including steep slopes (two were black) on the way on sideslipping turns without poles. It's amazing but without poles hands naturally tend to be where they are supposed to. It's indeed all about balance. And you find it much faster this way. And in ski lessons for kids they don't use poles for quite a long time. Kids are usually capable of going down safely moderate slopes and only them they learn the pole plant.

smartjingle

Certified Ski Diva
I like skiing without poles better. Yes, I can't pole-plant that well and that probably explains why I don't like using them, but it's also like holding onto extra luggage as I'm skiing? :(

Also, you should check the size of your poles, are they too long/short?

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had that feeling about poles until someone taught me to do pole plants. I used to keep them around for those times when I needed to skate a flat or pick myself up from a fall (both things are MUCH easier with poles than without).

Now I can ski without them, and sometimes I'll just pick them up and tuck them under an arm and ski freely, but I do find that the pole plants can be very helpful in establishing and keeping my turning rhythm. They also keep my arms busy and my hands out in front, which is good, because if I'm not paying attention, I have a tendency to stand up too straight on my skis and let my weight sag into the backseat. My skis will let me know if I go too far with that, but I'd rather avoid that feedback (and keep my weight where it is supposed to be) and the pole plants have been really good for that. (And, of course, they are still very useful for skating and retrieving from a fall! :D)

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
"there was no flying" My sentiments exactly.. I ditched mine 20yrs ago and now with shaped skis I don't miss them at all.. Yes! Bumps are VERY hard without poles, I like the challenge and do love spring bumps.. and are needed in the Trees and Deep Powder they make skiing easier. imo. BALANCE Is the Basis for Great Skiing. No Pole skiing makes you be balanced, it's spooky being off w/out outriggers to save you..
Most important are Lessons to Teach Correct Form & Proper Pole techniques. and I have had instructors change their opinion of 'no pole' skiing after they've taken a few runs with me. Technique-balance & strength make skiing great & great skiers- I always have my hands down the fall line and still 'set my turn' with my hand but don't have the pole plant. I think It's Way more fun to 'fly' with out poles. FUN is the Most important Part!!

On Saturday after reading this thread I was paying attention when skiing and saw that you are definitely not alone. First I thought that all these people were on snowblades, but they were all on normal skis. There were also two teenage girls in moguls and they were doing really well without any poles. I also noticed that all parents who were teaching (skiing with) their little ones had no poles too - I suppose to have hands free and be able to catch their kids.
So no-pole skiing could be the next big thing:smile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga