• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Learning to nordic ski

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, as I've mentioned I have a bunch of days off coming up very, very soon. I've talked about learning to nordic ski in the past and this may just be a perfect opportunity. So, I know that for alpine we always recommend a lesson, does the same hold true for nordic? I've tried it once as a child and given my natural tendency as a racer I couldn't get the hang of not trying to find an edge so it was not successful. What do you think, should I do the lesson or give it a try on my own? Any tips for a nordic newbie?

Thanks!

altagirl

Staff member
Skate or Classic?

Classic I don't think you really need a lesson for. But skating has definitely been harder to pick up on my own. I'm planning to do a lesson in January sometime.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think I'd start with classic since there is a groomed path on the golf course where my family has a home in Vail. That way if I like it I can pick up some used gear and just go out the door there.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Take a lesson, even if it's just classic nordic skiing. Granted, it's pretty easy to learn on your own, but there's little nuances that a good coach can teach you that will make the whole experience more enjoyable and more fitness oriented, AND make you look like a pro!

If the trails in Vail are groomed, chances are you can also skate-ski. Skate-skiing is more specific in movement to alpine skiing...it trains the same muscles and helps tremendously with balance, as well as builds incredible upper-body and core strength. So, if you can skate-ski, take a lesson or two (it's harder to learn), but the benefits are greater. AND....for us speed-lovers, it's easy to go FAST!:becky:

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Skate-skiing ROCKS! If you can skate on your alpine skis, then you get the motion...

Most nordic coaches recommend to learn classic XC first, but that's probably for somebody who's new to skis, period. That's not you. So if you have a choice, choose what you want to learn. Personally, I love to skate-ski over classic nordic skiing.

altagirl

Staff member
I ended up getting both kinds of gear, and I like both types for different reasons. Skate skiing is a killer workout, but you can't go for that long and it feels like it takes more focus. Whereas when I'm classic XC skiing, it's like going hiking. I can go out for hours and hours with my dog and breaking my own trail is no big deal, and just zone out and enjoy the environment.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
See that's why I'm debating. While a good workout is always good, part of me just wants something that will get me out and moving on days I don't want to do the full downhill thing. Since I can leave from the house and go out for an hour or two it's easy.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I've been dying to try skate skiing myself, though it'd probably kill me. I've always enjoyed skating on my skis (yes, I know I'm sick), so I think it'd be a lot of fun.

Jilly

Staff member
I vote for a lesson too. I've been doing nordic since high school. Did alot in University as I couldn't afford lift tickets and we had trails right at the U.
Things to remember - no edges on most types on XC and the your heel lifts on classic.

altagirl

Staff member
See that's why I'm debating. While a good workout is always good, part of me just wants something that will get me out and moving on days I don't want to do the full downhill thing. Since I can leave from the house and go out for an hour or two it's easy.

I think a classic setup is more versatile. You can skate on classic skis (not efficiently, but you can and it's still fun and you can definitely get a harder workout if you want to), but you can't just take it easy and use classic technique on skate skis.

abc

Banned
I think classic is very similar to road biking. You can go out without any lesson and still have a great time.

But learning how to do it efficiently means you can go a lot faster for much longer without feeling tired at all.

I lucked out when I needed an extra credit to pad my course load in college. The only course open and half-way interesting was x-c skiing so I took it! :smile: Thinking I would probably learn nothing I don't already know, but just got a workout...

I've been out with others who are way fitter than me. They either have trouble keeping up with me, or they're totally beat at the end of the day. While I was all ready to repeat the same for the next day, and the next day...

I've also met other people on the trail who were heavier than me and with a belly to boot. But they passed me as though I were standing still!

So, yes, even in classic, which look deceptively simple, there's a lot of fine techniques that makes a HUGE difference in how efficient you are, which translate to how far you can go.

Jilly

Staff member
Do you mean the amount your heel lifts?

I mean that your heel is not secured like our alpine binding. But the new SNS type are a world better than the 3 pin set ups of years gone bye.

alaski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Skate skiing can be fun but it seems like everything has to be PERFECT for it to be fun; perfect conditions, perfect temperature, perfect wax, etc. With classic, you don't even really need a trail, which is why I like it better. I am not a fan of groomed trails, and I like to get off the beaten path.

I have a super cheap ($60 for skis, bindings, and boots) setup and it works just fine for toodling about on and off trails. One thing I would change about it is that I'd prefer a wider ski with a metal edge because I do more backcountry (not groomed trail) skiing. The regular x-c skiis are way too skinny for anything but perfectly groomed trails - just something to consider depending on where you think you'll ski.

altagirl

Staff member
Skate skiing can be fun but it seems like everything has to be PERFECT for it to be fun; perfect conditions, perfect temperature, perfect wax, etc. With classic, you don't even really need a trail, which is why I like it better. I am not a fan of groomed trails, and I like to get off the beaten path.

I have a super cheap ($60 for skis, bindings, and boots) setup and it works just fine for toodling about on and off trails. One thing I would change about it is that I'd prefer a wider ski with a metal edge because I do more backcountry (not groomed trail) skiing. The regular x-c skiis are way too skinny for anything but perfectly groomed trails - just something to consider depending on where you think you'll ski.

My classic setup is "backcountry" BTW. Which still have no metal edges but they are a little wider than the standard classic setup, and I do think it comes in handy when I'm off just making my own trail. And I think I paid about $60 for the skis and bindings - and I've never bothered to wax them or do anything to them... just go. Which is always nice. :smile:

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I started skiing via nordic - because I was too scared to last in downhill! After a fairly unproductive hour in an alpine lesosn, my instructor switched my 2nd hour to XC so I could get used to the whole idea of boards on my feet and slippery stuff underneath. I grew up in SoCal - it was a BIG paradigm shift!

Skate skis and classic skis are different - generally the skate skis don't have the kick-glide pattern (aka "scales") on the underside of the skis that classics do. Also, true skate boots have more ankle support than classic boots. See if you can find a XC place that rents all kinds of gear, and get set up with a lesson and rental package. Let them know your alpine experience. You may be able to get some technique pointers on both styles and try out both kinds of equipment.

The weight difference in the gear is so astounding between alpine and XC that you'll probably do FABULOUSLY. It's an awesome workout. When we're at Snowbasin, my ski instructors and I will sometimes just opt for XC to get out of the hustle-bustle of the lifts. It's very peaceful and really gets your whole body going. Of course, now that I've gotten over my downhill fear (for the most part) I'm turning into a obsessive ski junkie - I have my local mountain web cams on all the time.

I definitely think the best part of XC skiing is the ability to just head outside and go, if you live in that kind of climate. Enjoy!!

lovebug

Certified Ski Diva
I also grew up on Nordic. We went out alot as kids. We went around the neighborhood on super snowy days and would go to a local park more weekends than not during the winter. It was hard to lose some of the nordic technique when I transfered to downhill a few years back. Just not enough snow where I live now.

Go to a good ski shop if you can. Lots of places that specialize in alpine only carry a few different nordic options. Be glad that the 3 pin system is gone (what a pain!). I am amazed how many more options there are in the ski shops here in western/upstate new york than there are back home near Philadelphia. But of course there are also nordic ski teams at all the HS here.

Go out, get a lesson and have fun. Then enjoy spending the day out, just you and the woods. No lift lines, no snotty kids, and no one to laugh at you when you fall :smile:

abc

Banned
Be glad that the 3 pin system is gone (what a pain!).
This brought back an interesting reminder.

I started nordic at about the time boot/binding "systems" hit the market. So I alternated between 3-pins and system bindings for the first season.

While I much prefer the integrated boot/binding systems, I can tell the 3-pin REQUIRES good balance on the ski while the system bindings let you get away with sloppy balance! Well, what makes system binding "beginer friendly" is also making them lazy as far as "feeling the snow" and finding their true balance without relying the rigid boot sole/wide binding to steer/stop.

I've never alpine ski in leather boots and strap on bindings so I have no idea if the same is true. But my ex-boy friend who grew up skiing in leather boot/strap-on binding used to say the same is true. What makes learning "easier" at the begining only pushes some of the learning till a later stage. Hence the "intermediate plateau", where new skiers need to re-learn some of the "basic" skills! :(

alyeskaluv

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Echoing much of what has been said . . . lessons are always helpful :smile:

You'll likely pick up basic classic technique in no time, and if you know someone who does a lot of classic skiing, they could probably teach you in an afternoon. Skate skiing, however, is usually best taught in a series of lessons, particularly because it involves a number of pole techniques and a lot of time spent learning to balance on your skis and shift your weight properly.

Given your love of speed and desire to use edges, definitely consider skate skiing. I learned both classic and skate techniques after learning to downhill, and all those times I had to skate to the chair lift or on the flats definitely paid off! Skating is an amazing workout, but I don't always love having to work that hard and think about all of my movements (which pole technique to use, balancing on my flat ski, timing, etc.). Not only is classic skiing far more laid back, but I also find that I prefer it for colder days - seems like you move just enough to stay warm, but not overheat, and there's no wind whipping your face.

As an aside, I am so glad to see that other Divas also love to classic and skate ski! I personally love to do anything that involes boots and boards/blades strapped to my feet - downhill skiing, skate skiing, classical skiing, and figure skating! Snowshoeing is my next endeavor.

Best wishes on your nordic adventure!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna