• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Knee help?

snowgem

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Once again, y'all are awesome. Great posts. As I wrote earlier, years ago the dr. found a Baker's cyst (going down stairs killed!)and told me time was the cure, which it was (took a very, very looooooong time, but got better). I had the behind-knee stuff then, too (might've been connected to they cyst?) but that went away in a few days . What's up now could be a mild reccurrence of the cyst or it's a stress injury - as described, it only happens after consecutive days of skiing, and in more challenging conditions, and is better with rest in a week or two. Since it happens only occasionally (the 1st time in a couple of years now - thot I was over it), and self-improves, I am resisting the dr. but would love to know how to prevent it - and keep skiing!:ski2: I wonder if I am doing something wrong technique-wise that pulls, hyperextends, twists that leg more.:noidea: My take partly is I'm over-skiing for my strength (can't resist going out there) so need to work on those hamstrings, quads, and calves. And, I ordered the CW-X pro tights and will try the hyaluronic acid tabs. Will report back. All your posts are so appreciated. :D MSL, yep, the knee is an amazing, important structure!

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Hyuluronic Acid sounds interesting, but I am a little afraid to start taking them because I have a bakers cyst. Caused essentially by excess synovial fluid. I'm all for taking a pill that will alleviate some of my pain, but I am a little concerned as the description says it lubricates the joint similarily? Did you have any issues with fluid build up in the back of the knee prior? Truly I am desperate for relief, but don't want to add insult to injury if you know what I mean.....

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wonder if I am doing something wrong technique-wise that pulls, hyperextends, twists that leg more.:noidea: My take partly is I'm over-skiing for my strength (can't resist going out there) so need to work on those hamstrings, quads, and calves. And, I ordered the CW-X pro tights and will try the hyaluronic acid tabs. Will report back. All your posts are so appreciated. :D MSL, yep, the knee is an amazing, important structure!

In the case of a Bakers Cyst if this is what it is, there is ussually a physical trait via a valve in your knee that somehow by fault of design allows or directs the fluid into the cyst or bursa sac ( where it is not absorbed yet stored ) at an unnacceptable rate. So it's possible yes that you are tweaking the knee in a postion that makes it feel unstable, but general imbalance in the knee will cause the knee to over lubricate also. My original cyst was caused by a MCl tear that I ignored and ultimately caused alot of other failures within that knee as a result. As a result of my own ignorance, my cyst is with me for life, or until surgeries. In some cases they can go in with a needle and draw the fluid, but in my case it has hardened. To carry on, without treating the imbalance the cyst will reappear. In a case like mine, I ignored the imbalance to the extent that the misallignment of the kneecap created terrible scarring. So even though the imbalnce has been corrected, the scarring still contributes to the over production of fluid. So essentially until I can have the scarring removed surgically, removing the cyst would be pointless as it will continue to come back.

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Gloria, re your concern about taking the hyaluronic acid caps with your particular condition: do what I did and check first with your doctor. I would never start taking anything without consulting him first.

TsuKata

Certified Ski Diva
I'm going to try the hyaluronic acid, too. I just got diagnosed with arthritis in my left knee only. I have around a 30% loss so far, and I'm 29, so that's pretty significant at my age. I might also have a torn meniscus...MRI later this week to determine that. Basically, I screwed my knee up overstressing it while biking this past summer, and it was already likely screwed up from repeated injuries from orienteering...and just has finally hit kind of a breaking point such that I'm feeling it often instead of only when stressed.

The doc prescribed some NSAIDs to help for now, plus exercises for the knee (and he gave me a go-ahead to keep skiing...yay), but the soreness I get in that knee in cold weather is killer, and the NSAIDs are really screwing with my stomach. I'd love to find a gentler alternative. I'll ask my doc about it at the next visit and get his thoughts, too.

SueNJ

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
TsuKata, ask your doc about hyaluronic acid injections--most insurance companies will cover them, and they may give you significant relief. I'm scheduled for my second series (in both knees) later in March, after I'm back from vacation. The injections worked wonders for me.

I'm planning on starting the capsules, as well. I figure it can't hurt!

persee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm going to try the hyaluronic acid, too. I just got diagnosed with arthritis in my left knee only. I have around a 30% loss so far, and I'm 29, so that's pretty significant at my age. I might also have a torn meniscus...MRI later this week to determine that. Basically, I screwed my knee up overstressing it while biking this past summer, and it was already likely screwed up from repeated injuries from orienteering...and just has finally hit kind of a breaking point such that I'm feeling it often instead of only when stressed.

The doc prescribed some NSAIDs to help for now, plus exercises for the knee (and he gave me a go-ahead to keep skiing...yay), but the soreness I get in that knee in cold weather is killer, and the NSAIDs are really screwing with my stomach. I'd love to find a gentler alternative. I'll ask my doc about it at the next visit and get his thoughts, too.

From DH's experience I will suggest you try Zantac (75 or the 150 big-gun) at morning and night to help your tummy tolerate the NSAID. Also make sure the fluid isn't accumulating in your knee as swelling fluid if it stays more than 24 hours leads to muscle loss so you may want to have the doctor extract it (yes big yucky needle but it's for the greater good).

mcguinncat

Certified Ski Diva
Back of Knee Pain

Hopefully by now you have seen your doctor about it, but I've had a lot of knee pain for different reasons.
I do know about Bakers Cysts and it hurts like a Mo Fo. I think heat helped mine, but see what works for you. Mine was rectified after I had my ACL/Meniscus repair done. I don't know if the Bakers Cyst was a result of the other injuries in my knee or just a separate event but it was detectable on the MRI. It seemed to be resolved after my surgery.

Good luck and if you haven't had it looked at yet, do because it could be an indicator of something much more serious.

snowgem

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yep. the Baker's cyst hurt - not always, but when bending my knee. This recent situation was like when it was first diagnosed, years back, and there were the other same symptoms that may or may not have been related to it. Anyway, as said previously, after tests, the Dr. said that my knees were fine and time to heal was the answer, and it was (a very long time). Since my recent situation seemed the same, and occurred only after consecutive days of skiing, I decided to wait it out. So, despite all the caring suggestions, I haven't revisited the doc. Am already much better, and it flares only a bit now when I ski some in more stressful stuff. And, I think the compression tights help. A lot has to be age-related, however much in denial I am (as far as I can figure, am the most senior diva to date-:eek::wink: ). But don't want an operation unless it gets much more chronic and difficult. I have learned a lot from the posts and appreciate the perspecives!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga