• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Killington Spring skiing questions

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I ski my home mountain, I plan my day for optimum Spring conditions. I ski the bottom until it gets too wet, and go to the top after the icy crust softens up. I know which runs stay icy on the dark side. I know which lifts to take to avoid poling through the flats.

So, Killington Divas, what's your plan? I am skiing Tuesday 3-16 with advanced intermediates who like it smooth and steep. Bump runs are not the best idea for this group, but a groomed Black is perfectly acceptable.

I want your tips. Where to start/park? (driving in from Rutland) Where to eat during the day? What's your favorite run in the Spring? (Diva Day at Okemo was SO nice when we had our personal mountain tour with the locals who knew the mountain.)

And if you are going to be skiing on Tuesday, want to meet up? PM for the meetup info.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, ordinarily I would so be there, but I'm heading up to Stowe tomorrow.

I really don't think it'll be busy there, so you should be fine. I usually park over at Bear Mountain because it's less busy and closer to my house. But that's a bit inconvenient, coming from Rutland.

Have fun!

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Hm, well, my spring skiing plan generally involves finding as many soft bumps as possible. :smile:

That said, I would probably also start at Bear (skiing, anyways). Bear gets *really* warm in the afternoon, so you definitely want to ski there in the morning if you want to ski there. Widfire is great for cruising when it's not bumpy, and if it starts out groomed it always gets bumpy by the afternoon. Then I'd probably ski the groomers under the needle's eye quad... needle's eye, cruise control, that stuff. Not steep, but doesn't get bumpy, and when it's not crowded you can really open it up on those. Later in the day the canyon area (all the runs under the canyon quad) is probably the place to be -- it gets less sun so it won't be as sloppy. Double dipper and cascade get a little bumped up as the day goes on, but there's always pleny of space to carve turns and they're pretty much the steepest groomers you're going to find at K. Do a few laps on Superstar on your way over the the canyon.

I usually park at Snowshed because it's not too crowded and has easy access to both sides of the mountain, but on a Tuesday I bet you can park anywhere and not have any issues.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Killington has snow longer than NY does, so I will probably go another day, and I would like to ski Okemo one more day, maybe we can get together then. Okemo $39 Tuesdays and Thursdays in March are enticing.

As for Killington, I wasn't so worried about crowds, more the conditions.

Do you just point your skis down and go, or do you have a "route" that you prefer?

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks, RachelV. Great tips. Both DH and I are coming off knee sprains and want to stay out of the slop as much as possible.

Where do you go for lunch? I was thinking of something with sunny deck chairs.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I think Rachel put it nicely. Her route seems like a good one to me. In fact, it's pretty much what I'd do.

I think your friends would like Bear a lot. Also the groomers under the North Ridge Triple. Take East Fall all the way down from there. Or Highline.

ride_ski

Angel Diva
Don't forget Bittersweet and Skylark.....more good groomers. Between those 2 and Superstar you can do many laps.

Rachel's plan sounds like how we ski it. Sometimes we skip Bear though, due to the crowds (on the weekend).

Have a great time. Post how the conditions are.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow, what a day! Blue skies, 55*F or higher at the base. Just cold enough on top to keep the snow on the trees.

The conditions at Killington were fabulous. The weekend r**n didn't make a difference. The snow on top was as good as any snow all winter. Except for a couple of runs in the canyon that were icy, everything was soft and carving was easy. As you went toward the bottom, the snow got wetter, but staying in the shadows helped. Killington was in great condition. I didn't see any dirt showing through anywhere on the mountain.

It was more crowded than I expected for mid-week, lots of Canadians on school break. Even so, the only lift line was at the K1 gondi before 11, and it wasn't more than a minute or 2.

I discovered the Killington Spring Pass. $169 from March 22 until the end of the season. I'm tempted. Gore Mountain just didn't get much snow this year and it's already getting thin. It looks like there will be many great ski days left at Killington.

Photo from Killington Peak, looking out toward Okemo.

Attachments

• Killington peak.jpg
    Killington peak.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 9

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For your next visit, consider parking at Snow Shed. If you get there early, you'll be way closer to the lodge. We either warm up there or Ram's Head next door.
I find Bear is usually the most crowded, so we ski there early and head somewhere else if there are too many people.

We have the "Express" cards, which reduce our weekend lift ticket price to just $57. The card costs $26, but pays for itself in a couple of visits, and you don't have to go inside and buy your lift ticket. It works like a season's pass, so they scan you when you get to the lift and charge your credit card automatically.. You might want to consider this for next year.

khill84

Certified Ski Diva
Wow, ordinarily I would so be there, but I'm heading up to Stowe tomorrow.

Oooh, Ski Diva, I'm heading up to Stowe next Tuesday! How are the conditions and crowds up there? I think we're going to ski Stowe for a couple of days next week and also hit Smuggs. I haven't been to either so I'm excited! :smile:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Oooh, Ski Diva, I'm heading up to Stowe next Tuesday! How are the conditions and crowds up there? I think we're going to ski Stowe for a couple of days next week and also hit Smuggs. I haven't been to either so I'm excited! :smile:

I filed a trip report. Go here.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga