• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Killington over new year's - super crowded?

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Some friends & I are thinking of heading up to Killington in the Dec 30-Jan 4 range. How is Killington as far as crowds go over the new year's holiday? In general I think K's gotten a ton better in terms of crowding post-ASC, but I've never actually been during a major holiday period, so I just wanted to check and make sure it's not going be nuts.

Anyone go that time last year? I'm going to be with a bunch of beginners, so I just want to make sure they can ski comfortably without being run off the mountain. :smile:

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Hm, I just read the recession thread and it has me thinking that the east coast will probably be more crowded in general over the holidays if that many fewer people are going out west...

abc

Banned
OK, fair enough.

If Killington gets too crazy, just move over to Pico then. Problem solved.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
OK, fair enough.

If Killington gets too crazy, just move over to Pico then. Problem solved.

Yeah, I was thinking that about Pico, actually.

But yeah, a bunch of reasons for K:
1) There are people of all abilities going and K has a lot for everyone.
2) Good snowmaking as a hedge against crappy weather.
3) Good places to go at night.
4) I know the mountain really well and I'm pretty confident I can get away from any crowds regardless.
5) Not too long a drive.

Anyways, I was just hoping someone had actually been there over new year's and could give me an idea of what to expect. Thanks for the replies so far, though.

Arlaquinn

Certified Ski Diva
killington Jan 1-4

I am interested in your post too...as I think I am booking a trip tomorrow, any suggestion on moderate priced hotel/motel close to Killington?? We stayed in Rutland last time, but would like to be closer....thanks!

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Killington will probaby be nuts over new years holiday.

The night life will be nuts, but way fun. If you get out early, the skiing will be great, take your novice friends to the Ramshead area, it's always nice conditions there and nice semi-long runs. Or the Southridge area, doesn't get as crowded as non-locals are not familiar with it.

For inexpensive lodging check "Turn of River Lodge" on rt 4 about 3 miles east of the access road. they have a website.

a bit closer to Pico, check out the Killington-Pico motel, not too expensive, or there's the Econolodge, also on Rt 4 a bit closer to the Pico entrance. Both are fine for driving distance to K in the mornings. Also, some of the on-mt condo rentals are not that bad for pricing, ex. Fall Line condos, but you need to call and check holiday prices.

have fun, and of course, think snow.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna