• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Kayaking the Connecticut

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
First of all, my apologies to Vanhoskier and Whitewater Girl, our very own extreme kayaking Divas. This is not your kind of trip.

Happy Feet and I kayaked the Connecticut River yesterday, a relaxing, 12 mile trip through some beautiful countryside with no whitewater. (For those of you who don't know, the Connecticut is the river that separates Vermont from New Hampshire.)

Still, it was lots of fun. The sun was out, the water temperature just right; we saw a few eagles and stopped at the Harpoon Brewery in Windsor, VT, for lunch. A lovely day.

Here I am, getting ready to head out:

kayak001.jpg

Here's a view down the river:

kayak003.jpg

Here we're approaching the Windsor-Cornish Bridge, the longest two-span covered bridge in North America:

kayak006.jpg

Heading under the bridge!

kayak009.jpg

And here's the bridge, from the other side:

kayak013.jpg

playoutside

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Looks like a great day! This is my kind of kayaking -- flatwater!

I'm so jealous, my kayak is in NJ at the lake and I'm in MA these days.

OMG Wendy, that type of kayaking is right up my alley (I've only gone once). Let's plan a day to do it together in early Fall when the leaves are starting to turn~ :becky:

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Beautiful! Just because I like white water doesn't mean that I think flat water isn't fun...it is great, too!

BTW, Whitewater girl and I paddled together 2 weeks ago!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That looks awesome! I'd love to try kayaking but I really really don't need another activity to become addicted to. :smile:

Jilly

Staff member
Ah, SH it's just another addition to the roof rack. I've got the Hooly rollers and saddle on my rack!!

I'd love to join that fall adventure. But I've got a feeling that, that d@#n work word will get the in way!

abc

Banned
Ah, SH it's just another addition to the roof rack. I've got the Hooly rollers and saddle on my rack!!!
Nah, with SH, it would go like this: :wink:

First, it's the run of the mill recreational kayak for flat water.

Followed by a sea kayak -- it's so much faster!

Then, for the rocky rivers, a white water boat.

And if the white water thing takes off, the play boat and slalom boat will follow...

Though if the sea kayak side of thing took off first, a greenland boat will be the natural next acquisition!

To haul all those boats around, a trailer with multi-level racks!

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Oooohhh, Ski Diva, I'm soooo envious!!! :jealous: I've canoed there in the past, but my dad has long since sold the canoe. Your pictures are great and all but put me back in the river. At least I'll be back in Vermont two weeks from today for a nine day visit. :dance: I love this time of year in VT almost as much as snowtime. Sigh...

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
abc you know me too well. :becky:

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Nah, with SH, it would go like this: :wink:

First, it's the run of the mill recreational kayak for flat water.

To haul all those boats around, a trailer with multi-level racks!

Yeah, I lol'ed at that. Sorry SH. ;)

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
^^^ I know a canoe livery that has one of those for sale! I should get that!!!

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Beautiful! That's my kind of kayaking! I haven't been in a few years, but I love going on calm water. FIL has a few since he takes people out for lessons/adventures (calm waters only) and we're allowed to borrow whenever we want, but we never seem to find the time.

whitewater girl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Looks like a nice trip...actually, this weekend & last I was paddling the west branch of the Delaware (smaller river, just as flat!)

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
About 60 canoes & kayaks took a trip on the main part of the Delaware in upstate NY when I was in high school; That ~was not~ a calm part, but it was a great and, obviously, memorable trip...

whitewater girl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
yeah, the Delaware does have some lively sections...the west branch below Cannonsville dam (where we were), however, is smooth & calm (and famous for it's great trout fishing)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga