• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Kayak - 1 tandem or 2 solo's

Which kayak for the cottage?

• Solo

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Tandem

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Ya wuss, get a jet ski!

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bravosarah

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ok, We're having a hard time deciding whether we should get two solo kayaks or one tandem kayak and we haven't had a poll for a while...

...so, what do you think? For recreational purposes, weekend cottage trips to a fair sized freshwater lake; two solo's or one tandem?

There is very little difference in cost.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I say solo so that you can go explore separately if you want to but still enjoy time together.

Jilly

Staff member
I had to vote "ya whuzz", but then I've had 2 sea doo's for a number of years, just sold them. And I have a solo kayak. Bravosarah check out the sites for:
Clear Water design and Paluski kayaks. Both are Ontario. Clear water is in Prince Edward County and Paluski is in Lakefield. I've the Paluski Ripple. It's perfect for what you want. I got a really good deal on it. Clear Water's Muskoka is their new rec boat. I was over to their "spring clearance" in April but didn't like the price for a slightly non perfect boat.
As for the question buy 2 boats. Then if anything happens, you have a second boat for safety etc. Also if you alone wants to go, the tandem might be too big. What lake are you thinking about??

Bravosarah

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What lake are you thinking about??

Buckhorn, westshore. Our best friends just bought a cottage there and gave us our own key, silly silly people! :eyebrows:

Jilly

Staff member
I've canoe'd up there. Great place. Go for 2 kayaks!! Get the "J" brackets for a thule carrier and your all set. Nobody gets the keys to our cottage!! Bon Echo area.

playoutside

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Totally agree, get the solos. Solo kayaks are much more fun and nimble. J- brackets are awesome and keep the kayaks really stable even at highway speeds.

If you get a chance, test them out first. Some kayaks track much better than others. I've got an Old Town, some would say it's heavy, but it goes where you point it even when it's choppy.

Bravosarah

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've canoe'd up there. Great place. Go for 2 kayaks!! Get the "J" brackets for a thule carrier and your all set. Nobody gets the keys to our cottage!! Bon Echo area.

We have a deal, summers at their cottage and winters at our ski home. We don't have shoreline and they don't have a ski hill.

I've got an Old Town, some would say it's heavy, but it goes where you point it even when it's choppy.

We were looking at Old Town the Loon or Twin Otter. Do you have the Loon?

Jilly

Staff member
We were looking at Old Town the Loon or Twin Otter. Do you have the Loon?
MEC has Old Town. Since you're in Buckhorn, you might want to look at Paluski -www.atldistributing.ca. They've a local up Peterborough way so sure. Manufacturered in Lakefield. And that's nearby right?

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
SOLO!!!

More flexibility. Though, I must admit, I've only done solo kayaks---not tandems. I'm sure tandem is fun also, so it's a matter of what you want to do with the kayak.:boxing:

sskier

Certified Ski Diva
If you thinking about a sit on top kayak, like an Ocean Kayak Malibu Two it has room for a dog or pet.

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
I have a quiver of boats 6, to be exact! All varied length ( 9'9 to 17'2) and beams (21 inches to 30 inches). I only teach with enclosed decks, we refer sit on tops as "wet decks" great for dogs , small chidren in front or fishing on. However we refer to tandems as "divorce decks"! Lol ! Novices tend to smack paddles alot, even more experienced paddlers can have conflict. Terse and often hostile verbage may ensue. My advice is to go with 2 solo decks, you have a lot more flexibilty with individual boats. :thumbsup: Besides if you dump due to misstroking, reaching, waves or trying to roll up on chine, more than likely the other paddler (in a seperate deck ) can assist you with a wet entrance. Not possible if you are in a tandem, you will both be swimming!:nono: Hense the terse and often hostile verbage! That's not to say that some couples don't work really well in a tandem, but usually their decks are of a longer design and more of a true touring boat not the shortet wider recreational boats.

P.S. Spend the money on a decent paddle weight matters and so does stiffness, blade size. Also what feels better in your hands, wood, composite , plastic. I'm old school I prefer wood lay ups. And try on your PFD and move around with ( preferable in a deck similar to what you will be paddling) to make sure the fit is good with lots of adjustment for adding or subtracting garments underneath. Don't for get your dry bag for cell phone and keys. Goodluck on your quest, paddling is way fun and relaxing!

abc

Banned
I'm late to this thread so I'll be cute. How about one kayak and one canoe? ;-)

Probably cheaper than 2 kayak and more social than 2 kayaks. And you can even accomondate a guest!

You don't need racks when you have a lake side cottage!

Jilly

Staff member
You don't need racks when you have a lake side cottage

They don't deliver kayaks usually. How else am I going to get it to the cottage? Plus I like to use mine during times I'm not at the cottage or other lakes up there.

Bravosarah

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How about one kayak and one canoe? ;-)

You don't need racks when you have a lake side cottage!

Thanks for all your input guys! Sorry I've been away, I'm swamped with work :rolleyes:

Anyway - it's funny you've mentioned that abc, we already had a canoe and we only bought one kayak an Old Town Rush, for the curious. It's a blast! We'll get another kayak later in the season or next year, but for now it's all we need.

As for a roof rack we got a Sport Rack Stacker, that why we can carry two kayaks and our bikes if we need too in the future. It was cheaper than the J racks too!!!

Thanks again everyone! Hope you all enjoy your long weekend! YAY!!!:becky:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can hardly wait for the Trip Reports!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga