• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Karbon Sports Blizzard Jacket

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mine's the 2006 model, but I bought it this fall. As I mentioned in the Crystal Pass thread, buying all new stuff is expensive, and getting last year's model helps!

This is an insulated jacket rather than a system with the zip-in stuff. That's new for me, and there may come a time, like, say, spring skiing, when I want less warmth, but for now, it's proving to be very comfortable. My usual under layers include a Hot Chilly's peachskin quarter zip shirt and an inexpensive "polar" fleece quarter zip shirt. Having been a bulky, bunchy skier in the past, bulky, bunchy clothes makes me cranky. I always wore a vest under a shell to avoid that bunchy feeling. This jacket doesn't feel bulky, and there's no bunching happening. I can move in it!

Pockets abound in this jacket! I found yet another on Sunday, in the back! I've got my I.D. and health insurance card in the special little pocket on the sleeve that's got a velcro closer and plastic holder on an elastic so it can't get away. The other sleeve has what I think of as a "chapstick pocket" -- just a little guy that holds chapstick and eye drops in case my contacts get dry. There's room for more stuff in there too, but... There's an elastic cord with swivel snap for my car keys in another pocket, and a bottle opener in one of the inside ones. Also included is a goggle wipe in the goggle pocket.

There are two zipped pockets inside, just inside the zipper. They're deep and could hold lots of stuff! I've been carrying my camera and spare batteries in one.

I mentioned the goggle pocket -- that's sort of mesh. There's four more of these mesh-type gear pockets inside too, one just the right size for a cell phone to come along for the ride. Their web site says that there's an audio system pocket. I don't know which one that is, but mine won't get used for audio!

The hand warmer pockets really do keep my hands cozy -- tested this at an outdoor holiday event the other night. I had about a pound of Hershey Kisses in each of them today for the lift guys, and a snack for me too!

AND flapped/velcro-closed breast pockets.

Nice, big, detachable, securable hood, with plenty of room for my helmet. I also like the "wrist gaiters" that keep the drafts off my wrists if I don't get my gloves tucked just right!

I bought a size 10, which was as snug as I could get by with, since I'm losing weight and HOPE to use this jacket next year too. It should probably fit a bit more loosely than it does, but I'm happy with the fit -- I'm not quite a ball of outerwear in this jacket! Sleeves are attached so that the jacket doesn't pull up with my arm and there are generous pit-zips.

I paid just over $100 at Sierra Trading Post (I think these are gone now), but this jacket would easily be worth full price too, I think!

Kano

Jilly

Staff member
I want to go shopping with you. You get the deals girl!! New suit for $ 170.00 not bad at all!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
You got the deal, Kano :clap: ! There are some great deals at Sierra, glad you snared one of those Karbons (I saw them in the catalog). Very popular line in northern New England, which surely says something for warmth and versatility.

Sometimes when I find a jacket that I simply love, I bemoan not having sought out a future replacement. Did just that with my latest one, spent months randomly searching online and finally scored.

What's best is when you have a jacket that can handle a wide range of temps with only what's beneath varying for weight. Mine seems to have a range of 0 to 50, which is amazing. Extra layer(s) for 0, pit zips at 40+ and I'm good to go.

But pants are an altogether different shopping story for me....gotta try 'em on...

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Jilly -- It's SO cool to have a brick and mortar Sierra Trading Post here! DH keeps saying, "we can just order online," finds the item I want, and says "what size do you need?" I keep explaining to him that I don't KNOW what size, I need to try things on! It's also, of course, nice to touch and inspect the items for quality, especially in a discount shop like that.

I picked up the pants at Cabela's, and they weren't even on sale! I also saw them at REI and Sports Authority.

MSL, I agree about trying pants on! I think my body is about three different pant sizes in one! Doesn't matter if a brand fits, there are the all of the different cuts! I found that jackets are shaped differently too, some are "athletic" cut, which means you need a tiny waist. My jacket was a bit tighter in the waist/tummy area when I got it than it is now, so maybe I'm starting toward that "athletic" shape?

(side note: it was exciting to see my shadow yesterday: it's not a round one anymore! I'm still kinda chunky, but at least I have a shape this year, even bundled up for the cold!)

They use the Karbon jackets for the employees up at Bogus Basin too (or did a couple of years ago!), which was where I first ever heard of them. I kind of figured that they get the sort of use there that would indicate they must be decent jackets, so had no hesitation in choosing it, aside from it's black, and that's kind of boring. But I can accessorize it with just about every color in the rainbow!

DH complained a bit yesterday that he can't find me in my all-black garb. Hasn't noticed that the pants are dark gray? I used to wear a purple jacket, and he was accustomed to looking for purple, I guess? I told him I'm thinking about getting some glitter and making some snowflake stencils for my helmet. He'd like that, he said.

Kano

shelbyr

Certified Ski Diva
Hi Kano,

I used to work up at Bogus when we first got the Karbon gear. That was probably 8 or 9 years ago. I am still wearing my Karbon pants I got back then. I love them! I also bought a Karbon coat a couple years ago and I love it too. I was really sold on Karbon clothing just from wearing our uniforms. It's excellent quality and even after 8 or 9 years, and a house fire, my pants are in great condition. They were just smoke-damaged and I of course had the option of just replacing them. But that was the whole problem. I wasn't sure I could replace them so I had them cleaned. I know you will get many years out of your new coat!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga