• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Jay Peak 4/11 & 4/12

MissySki

Angel Diva
Well I made my first trip up to Jay Peak in Vermont this past weekend. I was definitely told I was 1 week late by everyone there, because last weekend they were 100% open and this weekend barely 25%, but I still had fun. It was an interesting experience to say the least. First off, they have a brand new building called the Tram Haus Lodge to stay on mountain, just opened in December of 2009 and it was fabulous. I am not used to such modern accomodations at a pretty reasonable price on mountain in New England, from where I have been so far anyway, I will definitely be booking there again next year (Earlier in the season though!! :doh:).

Day 1: Holy Fog!! So DH and I decide to get right to it and take the Tram up to the top of the mountain on our first run, into blindness! I have never experienced this condition before, but I literally could not see 50 feet in front of me! I was terrified at first because I didn't know the mountain, there were tons of thin and bare spots which I am not really accustomed to yet, and I was thinking some fast skier was going to come plow into me from behind because they couldn't see me at all. Luckily, I got used to it, and we skiied like this for the better part of the day with no major hassels. It finally cleared up slowly over the course of the day. One issue was at the bottom of the mountain, snow pretty much didn't exist, so at the end of some trails you had to take off your skis and trek through mud (seriously squishy nasty smelling mud) to get to the lift, this was another first!! lol However, besides these weird, for me, conditions, the snow held up pretty good until the end of the day and I felt great!

Day 2: The fog was gone, the views were gorgeous, the sun was out. All in all, the snow didn't hold up nearly as well as day 1 and my legs were dying!!! Such heavy muck to turn in! So we called it quits around noon because we had a 4 1/2 hour drive home, plus DH chose this weekend to start breaking in new boots and apparently the spring conditions didn't really help that out too much from what I could tell, he was in pain!

So this was definitely my last ski days for the year. They were less than perfect, but I loved every second, even the burning pain!! I am a true believer in the whole motto of "a bad day skiing is still better than any other day!" :clap: I definitely needed it too, I have been super stressed with a group I am working with in my last Capstone class of my MBA, skiing definitely did the trick in getting me out of my funk!

One big disappointment was that all of their glades were obviously closed. Jay Peak is supposedly very well known for their extensive glades in the East, so I am so looking forward to getting back there next year! They say they are trying to stay open until the first week of May, but I can't imagine you'd want to be there after this past weekend..

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Hey, I was just at Jay today. We went because it's the only place left open for a day trip from the Montreal area. Gorgeous weather and pretty nice spring conditions. I think they said 15 runs open and two of them were good ones, where we spent the whole morning: Jet and Haynes (black runs with a nice pitch), but to get to the Jet chair we had to hike through mud.

Yeah, you have to go back when the glades are open - they're very fun. Anyway, we had a good day - biggest problem was horrendous traffic getting into Montreal (and then, of course, I had to drive another hour to the Laurentians) - sheesh, what we ski addicts will do to get our fix!

MissySki

Angel Diva
SkiBam,

We also hit Haynes a bunch, I liked it after the first time I went down blind and realized it was still nicely covered etc. lol. Do you head there often? Maybe I will see you there next season, I wish it were a day trip for me! I feel too bad to leave my Pug if I am going more than 2 hours away, which is everywhere pretty much for me! So we usually leave her with my in laws for the weekend and stay for a couple of days wherever we go. Hopefully in the next year or two we will be able to move a bit further north, that is the plan anyways, or get a ski condo so we can bring the dog up too every weekend, which would be my vote! :thumbsup:

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Hey, MissySki, I don't get to Jay all that often - in recent years maybe once per season. I live in the Laurentians so tend to ski up here (Tremblant) but it's nice to have a change - and when nothing else is open, it's a no-brainer!

I hadn't realized all the plans there are for Jay: golf course, new condos, expansion of the ski terrain. We were chatting with some people yesterday who claim the condos are selling before construction. It will be very interesting to see what happens.

Coverage on Haynes was excellent, wasn't it? We did some video there and it's amazing the amount of snow. However, I can well understand the first run might have been a bit intimidating in poor-visibility conditions.

Jilly

Staff member
Plan your next trip for March!! Jay has what is referred to as the "Jay Cloud". They will get snow when no one else gets it. Even Owl's Head or Sutton which you can see from the top won't get that snow!

The development is not rapid like it has been in other resorts. So that is nice. Plus Jay is one of those places - you can't get there from here. It's a hike for anybody. We always had to bring our own party!!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga