• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Jackson Hole Terrain

AlliOops

Certified Ski Diva
I have been invited by a friend to join his ski trip to Jackson Hole. It would be 3 expert male skier/snowboarder and myself. I am an advanced skier. I am very strong on blue groomers, I like speed and carving and when I'm in my comfort zone I have no problems keeping up with the boys. I can do fine on some black diamonds, although I tend to slow down. And some icy blacks, I just freak myself out - I hate ice! And black diamonds on the East Coast are typically icy and steeper.
I lived in Vail for a year, and fell in love with backcountry type skiing and powder - but that was over 6 years ago and I have only skied East Coast mountains since then (excluding a trip to Park City, UT and a few days back in Vail). I really had a blast in UT, but I am afraid that the black diamond terrain in Jackson Hole will be too hard I definitely don't want to hold these guys back, and I am willing to explore on my own for a couple of hours, but I would hope that I could manage a few of the black diamonds once I was in the swing of it. I also don't want to miss an amazing opportunity to ski in Wyoming for a reasonable price.

What do you guys think? I know that 40% of the mountain is blue - and GORGEOUS! Am I just being crazy and psyching myself out?

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Check out the TR from Lola and Lovebug at JH.
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8803

I think you'll be just fine, but if you're really psyched out then take a 1/2 day lesson and get your bearings. That often helps the confidence level helps with the over all enjoyment.

mountainxtc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
ahh, I'm envious, I would love to ski JH. Why don't you organize to do an easier, warm-up day your first day out and stick to the terrain that's in your comfort zone. After that, take lessons while the boys go and rip. you will get to ski with people of your own speed and ability, and probably go to terrain that you wouldn't feel comfortable on if you were just trying to survive keeping up with the boys. That way, everyone stays friends, and you can share you stories from the day over apres drinks!

AlliOops

Certified Ski Diva
Oh yes - that is excellent advice, I am definitely planning on doing that the first day out.

I don't mind taking off by myself for a while...just jamming out to music and skiing at my own pace.

We have plenty of time to ski that week together.

I thought about a lesson too, although it is a little pricey - it could be really fun.

Okay, so now I am getting so excited...as if I ever stopped. And I am going to demo some skis this weekend. Can you imagine, crazy Jackson Hole and brand new skis?!!!!

This is awesome sauce :bounce:

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
FWIW I took a private lesson last big trip I went out on with a group and it was awesome. I think it'll be similar for you. When you have the skill to ski most of the mountain, a private lesson can be so much more than just technique. The instructor took me all over the place and I skiied so much more than I had without an instructor the past 4 days. I hit secret runs I didn't even know existed, tucked back in the trees, that I wouldn't have thought to duck into even if I had seen them. Over all, it was a blast, and sure having a great instructor helped, she was as psyched to get someone who was a passable skiier so that she could actually get some fun runs in too!

And I did learn a ton. The next day I was everyone in the group's de facto tourguide because I knew all the great runs to hit and they loved it!

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mountain Hosts sometimes take "tour groups" around the mountain too, and people just meet somewhere by a lift at a designated time.

I haven't got personal experience with a Mountain Tour, but maybe dloveski can tell us more about how these work? And maybe it's just the thing for you to get acquainted with the mountain?

Karen in Boise

AlliOops

Certified Ski Diva
Those are both wonderful options. I am definitely going to check out the mountain tour thing - mostly because it is FREE!

I would love to take a private lesson. It looks like a half day at Jackson Hole is $350...yikes! Although I'm 29, its part of my job as one in her "20s" to be fiscally irresponsible right :eyebrows:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga