• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Jackets for Kids

RockSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
HH "rainwear" a good bet

This is an older thread, but readers may be trolling for insights, so let me add my 2 cents. My 4-year-old is in his second Helly Hansen K Shelter jacket, and skiied through this winter in it.

The pants of the same line (K shelter) are terrific. Reinforced knees that went the distance all winter long -- and he plays outside pretty much every day, and skiied 15-20 times. In the month or so since he ceased wearing the HH pants for 'recess' at his daycare, he's gone through the knees of three pairs of jeans. Being lightweight and noninsulated, the pants are easy enough for him to pull on himself.

Crucially, if worn with layers, this jacket can go all 4-seasons -- will handle showers, gusty winds, and our famous chinooks (a warm wind that brings temperatures well above freezing for a few days at a time during winter).

On colder ski days, he wore this jacket and pants with long underwear, a short-sleeved synthetic turtleneck, fleece pants and hoodie, plus a hollofill vest, topped by a fleece neckwarmer. On warmer days or afternoons, off came the vest and turtleneck.

The velcro tabs on the sleeves helped keep snow out and help in adjusting the sleeve length while they were still a little on the long side near the beginning of ski season.

You might not think of this particular jacket or pants when shopping with skiing in mind because it is marketed as rainwear / sailing gear. But as a lightweight breathable shell, it's a good bet.

So while on the price-y side, anything that can be worn continuallly by a kid for months at a time is rare. So if you are thinking about rainwear or come across a good deal, this jacket and pants set might do the trick.

I am sufficiently impressed to have just purchased a bigger size for when he grows out of his current jacket and pants. I also bought a set for my niece and plan to buy another set for a nephew.

Now might be a good time to buy, especially if you need rainwear anyhow, because this line is not marketed as winterwear and so isn't usually available in stores by fall.

skiester

Certified Ski Diva
Peak Performance. The best. Expensive but great gear. I think it's origin is Scandinavian. I always buy them in after season sale for next year. They wear it all day to school too (in winter Holland, as they are water resistant too). Pants are Rucanor. Mittens Barts (Dutch brand). Helmet Giro. Skis Völkl Bridge Jr 120cm and Salomon Xwing 70cm. Ski boots Roces. (4 in1 size ;) )

But also I bought a full outfit at H&M, but that was worn out pretty quickly. Very cheap though! Good for the spare parts!!

northyvr

Certified Ski Diva
I'm also a fan of Spyder for kids. I bought my daughter the Spyder Monarch jacket last year and it was great on and off the slopes. Their toddler line with the extendable sleeves and legs also extends the length of time your child will get out of the jacket or pants. That in itself is worth a bit of extra money. I keep my eyes peeled for good sales and purchase online from somewhere that has a good return policy if it doesn't fit properly. Backcountry's return policy is a good one.

frenchgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bought the winter jacket from Land' End. He has worn it for 2 years now. I am not sure about next winter. We'll see in the fall if it still fits. I think I will check TJMaxx then. He wears 2 layers under the jacket. The Jacket by the way is very warm as it is a waterproof down jacket. He was playing in 5 degree weather this winter and was not cold.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga