• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

It just wasn't my day...

astridhj

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I went skiing yesterday for the third time this week. It snowed the day before, and I was really looking forward to some powder skiing...

The first run was piste skiing and that was good, then the second run was when everything started to go wrong. We went off piste a place I've never skied before, and on one of the first turns, I hurt my left knee. It didn't seem too bad so I continued skiing, and after a few turns it felt good again.

After some good powder we ended up under the ski lift (and I hate skiing under the ski lift), and we came to a cliff. Since I've never skied here before, I chickened out of jumping off the cliff since I didn't know how the landing was. :fear: I took off my skis, sent them over the cliff, and walked around the cliff into this really thick forest... I lost my grounding and suddenly found myself doing a somersault into a tree. In the fall I lost my poles, and I had to climb up to get them. After this we skied down in some good powder, but I was really exhausted...

It must have been quite a show for the people in the lift. :redface:

Then after a few more runs, we took the lift to the top of the hill, and it was blowing a gale, and we had to use our poles to actually get down again. Not even force of gravity managed to pull us down without help. The wind was just too strong.... :mad:

Since we needed to get some warmth in our bodies after the wind experience we followed some kids into a forest run. Almost at the bottom of this run, I missed a turn, and suddenly felt myself falling while doing this frightened scream, and somehow doing a 180 in the fall. It was only about 2m. I landed in a stream on the only place that was covered in snow and ice (luckily), and not water and rocks... Off with my skis again, and climb up and put on them on again. And ski down. Both me and my Auras got from this experience without a scar. Maybe a bit frightened...

I did one more run, before giving up all together and drove home.

After a long and warm shower, and after taking off my knee tape, my left knee hurts while walking on it, so I will now take a few days off skiing, and just stay at home and psych myself up again for some skiing that hopefully goes much better than this trip. Since the two previous trips this week have been really great.

veggielasagna

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ahh sorry to hear that the day didn't go so well. You stuck it out for a bit, but it sounds like you wisely packed it in. I find that sometimes I'll have a crummy morning and a great afternoon...who knows why..snow or me? Hope your knee feels better! Next time you go to those trails you'll just whiz down them and wonder what the heck was going on last time:smile:

-veggielasagna

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm totally bummed for you :(

What a way to lose your excitement for a day that had so much promise.

Skiing is such a metaphor for life. Some days are epic, and some days . . . well, I'm just glad you and your Auras made it through safe and sound. :smile:

You might want to use a knee brace when you next ski just to keep it stable. I hurt my knee in Montana a year or so ago doing bumps with skis that were too stiff and too long (and I didn't know how to ski bumps anyway) and used a brace for the rest of that trip and I think it helped me from getting a serious knee injury.

Looking forward to skiing with you in CO next Winter with our beloved Auras! :dance:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Oh, I'm sorry to hear this, astrid! Some days surely are better than others. It was the right decision to just give up for the day.

We all have these days :( (I think - maybe I should speak for myself) - when it's not fun, it's time to stop.

Please take care of yourself and your knee!

astridhj

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks everyone. I just needed to rant after that day.

Knee works fine. I took it for a hike today in beautiful weather up one of our local mountains. After that I had ice cream with some friends and watched Monthy Python's Meaning of Life. Then later on it started snowing again, and there is now powder outside. Life is just great :D

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow, that was one heck of a day! Glad to hear your knee isn't injured though. And it sounds like you had a wonderful recovery today. :D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga