• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Is it the boots...or is it me?

Jesski

Certified Ski Diva
Hi all,

Just started skiing again after a year off when my husband was recovering from a surgery and couldn't ski and I'm noticing some issues with my ski boots from a couple years ago and wanted to get some input. I'm currently skiing in Nordica Sportmachine 95 flex. I have had my foot scanned at a running shoe store previously for running shoes so I know the following about my foot: I have high arches and a high instep; my ball of foot width falls into the 'C' category and my heel is narrow. My feet are long, especially for women, coming in at about 9.5 heel to toe length. My calves are probably medium - when I wear compression socks I am in the medium width for women. No fitting adjustments were made to the boot when I got them other than a sport insole.

I felt good in them when I got them a couple years ago but now feel more unsure. My most recent ski trip my heel was lifting a bit in these boots; I didn't feel like I could exert pressure equally on the skis from these boots and I felt like they might be too stiff for me? I'm only an intermediate beginner-I can ski down blue runs but it isn't always pretty. I used to be better and even tackled some east coast black runs but seem to have lost some muscle strength too recently as well as muscle memory (and nerve!)

I'm not sure if I just lost strength and now don't feel as confident in the boot as I used to or if it is worth going back to a bootfitter to make adjustments or look for a new boot altogether.

I know its hard to assess these things based on a post; just thought I would through it out there. I have a hunch my muscle strength has gone down (I was sick and diagnosed with an autoimmune illness in the meantime and been struggling with low hemoglobin etc) and that might just be why I feel so unsure skiing currently.

I kind of wish it were the boots...but maybe it's just me.

Jilly

Staff member
Boot liners do pack out. It depends on the liner make up and how days you've skied them. I'm thinking because of the heel lift, that things are packing out. Liner pack out is really noticeable as things get sloppy.

I would check with your boot fitter first before you go looking for new boots.

Jesski

Certified Ski Diva
Boot liners do pack out. It depends on the liner make up and how days you've skied them. I'm thinking because of the heel lift, that things are packing out. Liner pack out is really noticeable as things get sloppy.

I would check with your boot fitter first before you go looking for new boots.
Thanks! I will have the shop I bought them at take a look.

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There are a lot of possibilities: your foot changed, the boots weren't a great fit to begin with, the liners have packed out, the insole isn't supportive enough, etc.

If you have very high arches, maybe consider a custom insole if it's in budget. I couldn't find anything with a high enough arch off the shelf.

I have narrow heels, too. Going from a recreational fit (the 24.5 my feet measure) to a performance fit (23.5) helped me a lot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga