• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Interesting site on boot fitting

SueNJ

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great info... I find that I fare better if I shop armed with at least some knowledge. Otherwise, I'm at the mercy of the salesperson at the shop. Early on, while shopping for skis and boots, one of the guys I talked to in our local shop came across with the "you're a woman so you need this..." routine and, if my SO wasn't with me, I might have let this guy steer me down the wrong road. Instead, we found the guy in the shop who was most knowledgeable about (especially) bootfitting and matching skis to a skier's ability and goals. To this day, we rely on his expertise, but I've made it a point to know a little more about my feet and my body's limitations.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I was researching some information about calf size and position, and came across this site. Pretty neat stuff on this page about foot/calf/ankle size and shape and how that translates into boot fit for woman skiers.

https://ski.umf.maine.edu/articles/womensboots.html

Sheena, many thanks for posting! This u is right in my backyard :smile: ! One of the degree programs offered is in Ski Industries - a coveted degree program that's actually quite hard to get accepted into. I feel a bit sheepish that I didn't find this article first, given the few miles between me and this college. Excellent.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Just read it and wasn't altogether thrilled with the product name typo's - and it obviously is somewhat dated in mentioning Raichle, which hasn't made boots in years. But certainly an interesting primer on the subject.

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
Over all a good article though. :clap: Raichle might be dead as a company, but check out a pair of Dalbello Rave boots. I got a pair for my son and the tongues caused major Deja-vue! They look suspiciously like flexon comp tongues! :loco:

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wish I had found this when I did my boot construction thread....it would have made a great addition!

I believe Dalbello now owns the old Raichle molds and is making the old Flexon disguised as the Krypton, thanks to Glen Plake.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Over all a good article though. :clap: Raichle might be dead as a company, but check out a pair of Dalbello Rave boots. I got a pair for my son and the tongues caused major Deja-vue! They look suspiciously like flexon comp tongues! :loco:
Additionally, a off-shoot company of K2, calling itself "Full Tilt," has gotten all of the original Flexon Comp molds and starting producing not a replica but an EXACT boot, now called Full Tilt Bumblebee. Offered in, I think, 3 variations including the "pro" which is supposedly stiffer. Hard to find but nonetheless available if hunted, this is their first year of production. For anyone who was in love with the Raichle Flexon Comp (DH was a big fan) and is willing to deal with those cantankerous bail buckles, Full Tilt has resurrected them!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I believe Dalbello now owns the old Raichle molds and is making the old Flexon disguised as the Krypton, thanks to Glen Plake.
We posted at about the same time. I think it's Full Tilt that got the molds?? It has been written up in quite a few ski magazines, info also available online, which I don't have time to link here, as I have to go "dig out!" :snow: Bet the Dalbello's are terrific, though, I'm a fan.

perma-grin

I know Heinz Herzog former owner of Raichle started Dalbello, but had design infringement issues. But since raichle went under did that free up the design patents? How does full Tilt play into this? I know there are some major Flexon comp fanatics out there! There owners seem to swear by them! My son loves these boots there great riding switch ( according to him.)
Duh! I just figured out how to answer my own question w/ an email! Brain farts are killing me!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I know Heinz Herzog former owner of Raichle started Dalbello, but had design infringement issues. But since raichle went under did that free up the design patents? How does full Tilt play into this? I know there are some major Flexon comp fanatics out there! There owners seem to swear by them! My son loves these boots there great riding switch ( according to him.)
Must have, because Full Tilt claims that these ARE the molds - I think they'd have some issues if claiming so falsely. No real data on this, as I haven't had time to research. However, I did carefully note their availability in magazines and tried to find where available (backcountry, Al's Ski Barn), as it was/is a real possibility for DH, who went through 2 pairs of Flexon's before they finally died and went out of production (and replacement bails got impossible to find).

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I My son loves these boots there great riding switch ( according to him.)
Very smooth flexing and on the soft side, so a great boot for the "lighter weight" expert. Which DH WAS, in his younger days :laugh: Since the Flexons went off the market and he left the lighter weight category, he's been in Tecnicas. The older Flexon Comps are highly collectible and are used by the entire Canadian Olympic Freestyle team when they train and practice off the ramps at the training center in Lake Placid.

perma-grin

Okay I just got off the phone with Ray ( rep) and he said yes you are both correct. Full tilt (k2) did buy the molds when Raichle failed to keep it going with Dachstein in Austria ( I didn't know that they where still around either) the Full Tilt boots are virtually the same old tried and true Flexon comp. The "Rave and the "Rampage ( Dalbello) were also designed by Plake with the Flexon comp tongue specics because Dalbello still owns the rights to the design. Glen plake did the buckle design on the Dalbello's (which is very cool placement, and makes sense for the park )and he still skis for Dalbello. These must have been some Rocket Rippin boots for that much fuss to be made over them and to keep being reborn!! Very loyal following apparently!! I which I had designed something that popular!Lol!

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the link, Sheena. I like to be as informed as I can make myself before going in to any situation that could lead to purchase. As much as I believe in following the guidance of those with experience under their belts, I want to know enough on my own to see warning signs.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
These must have been some Rocket Rippin boots for that much fuss to be made over them and to keep being reborn!! Very loyal following apparently!! I which I had designed something that popular!Lol!

Thanks for doing this research! Now we know "the real story!" Actually, the Flexon Comps couldn't totally be qualified as "rocket rippin." What they had, compared to the designs of the era (which still included more than a few - ugh - rear-entry boots), even the traditional 3-piece shells, was an extremely smooth flex - which was either hated or loved - obviously was loved by freestylers of the era and beyond and worked extremely well for those bothered by the 3 piece shells of the era or not even remotely interested in that other unfortunate design, rear entry. DH was on them for a total of at least 8 years, 2 different pairs - eventually, no bail replacements could be had at any price.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga