• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Inner Skiing

hoodgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Any of you ever read the book Inner Skiing by Timothy Gallwey?
I got it earlier this year to help work on some of the head games I play with myself on the mountain. Kind of "meh" about it so far. Just wondering if any of you have read it.
Any other suggestions on books, techniques to work on confidence, particularly after coming back from an injury?

Thanks!

hoodgirl

Christy

Angel Diva
I was "meh" about it too, and I've had the same reaction to other skiing books I've read (like Centered Skiing). I don't know if it's because I read them when I was a beginner, and they are geared toward people that are skiing at a higher level, or if I just can't read about skiing with any effect. I totally buy into the idea that thinking differently about skiing or any sport can improve my performance, and I had a lot of luck when I rode horses with these types of books (Centered Riding, Ride with your Mind). I'd love to have an instructor that used these type of techniques but reading about them just doesn't do anything for me.

In the Yikes Zone, which a lot of people love, has a section on overcoming fear after an injury.

hoodgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ahhh, so it's not just me then!? That's exactly how I feel too! I am very much a "do-er learner" and once I am up on the hill and get into a new sitiuation with my deer in the headlights thing :eek: going on, I find it hard to remember what I read the night before. I have been reading other threads and read about "In the Yikes Zone", read that one? I would love to go and take her fear clinic next year when I am all healed.

Do you ever fully get over the :eek:? Won't there always be something steeper, faster or bumpier than you've ever been on before?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I just finished "In the Yikes! Zone," and found it very informative and interesting. She breaks down all the fear components and shows how she works with each component via lesson examples. There were a lot of interesting examples, places we've all "been." If you're interested, sign up to be on the list for the rotation of the book in Divas Only section.

You might better enjoy the "Breakthrough" series by Lito Tejada-Flores. I just checked on amazon, and there are DVD's available, as well as paperback. I read the first one and got something out of it. Not sure how the DVD's are, but there are some good deals from amazon resellers. Might be worth a look.

Amazon link:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_...s&field-keywords=lito+tejada-flores&x=21&y=17

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've never read a book on skiing. It just never dawned on me to do so. I wonder why. I've read books on cycling, triathlon, even swimming, but not skiing.

I've been looking for something to read.

Jilly

Staff member
And there is Lisemarie's book. Open you heart with Winter Fitness, Lisa Marie Mercer. Another good read. (For fiction there is always Finn)

hoodgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And there is Lisemarie's book. Open you heart with Winter Fitness, Lisa Marie Mercer. Another good read. (For fiction there is always Finn)

Oooh, water fitness, with my ACL rehab I am using water work and I love it!

Thanks for all of the suggestions! On my way to Amazon right now and also going to add myself to the list for In the Yikes Zone.

SuperMoe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just finished "In the Yikes! Zone," and found it very informative and interesting. She breaks down all the fear components and shows how she works with each component via lesson examples. There were a lot of interesting examples, places we've all "been." If you're interested, sign up to be on the list for the rotation of the book in Divas Only section.

You might better enjoy the "Breakthrough" series by Lito Tejada-Flores. I just checked on amazon, and there are DVD's available, as well as paperback. I read the first one and got something out of it. Not sure how the DVD's are, but there are some good deals from amazon resellers. Might be worth a look.

Amazon link:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_...s&field-keywords=lito+tejada-flores&x=21&y=17

I happened to be in a used book store a few weeks ago and came across the "Breakthrough" book. I picked it up and I liked it (I think it was the latest edition) It actually fit with everything I was feeling and how I was progressing. Gave me some goals and things to work on so that I can do more than "just go down the hill" If you're looking for something interesting, that would be a good book. Don't know what the DVD's are like, but the book was very good at giving me the visual images.

Greeley

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Harald Harb's books & videos are great. 'Anyone Can Be an Expert Skier I & II' and his latest 'Essentials of Skiing'. He sheds a whole new light on ski instruction. After reading his books I would never waste time taking the average ski lesson again.

SuperMoe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
curious

OK, so I was curious, went over to Amazon and checked out Harb. Lots of mixed reviews. Just wondering, what was it that he did/explained that made it better for you...and how is it different than PSIA technique. The sentiments expressed were quite diverse and vocal.

Christy

Angel Diva
I happened to be in a used book store a few weeks ago and came across the "Breakthrough" book. I picked it up and I liked it (I think it was the latest edition)

I think you'd want to make sure to get his latest books/dvds, where he is on shaped skis--I have his first dvd and he uses straight skis and techniques for those.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
That would be "Breakthrough on the New Skis" which is now in its second or third incarnation. Check amazon.

hoodgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Ordered the book from Amazon. I will let you know how it works out for me..... I have decided to pile up lots of books, skiing and others, for my ACL surgery recovery so Amazon has gotten a lot of business from me lately.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga