• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

In need of new boots

love2ski

Diva in Training
Anyone have any recommendations for boots?
I need new boots for this season and am quite nervous to be honest. I really don't want new boots but my current boots are very worn where they clip into the binding. It felt like those boots took forever to be perfectly comfortable and I am not looking forward to going through it again!
Custom boots aren't an option ($$$)...
Any recommendations/advice would be appreciated.

TIA

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Get thee to a reputable boot fitter. One that is close to the mountain that you ski the most so you can make quick adjustments if needed.

Make sure they take the liner out and and get your foot in the bare shell.A good boot fitter will be able to direct you to a line of boots that fits your particular foot anatomy.

Spend the time and the money on the boot!! All good things in skiing start at the feet!!

Terry

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Agree completely with Terry. As they say, there is victory is de feet!

love2ski

Diva in Training
Thanks for the advice! I WILL spend the time on the boot shopping and will *try* not to think about the $$ :smile:

Is there a particular brand that either of you recommend?

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Everyone makes a good boot. Try a few different pairs on. Don't go big. You can make a smalll boot bigger!I don't think you can make a big boot smaller!Keep an open mind and forget about looks and graphics!!

Wear a thin sock when you go. You should't have to wear really thick socks when you ski.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I really recommend doing your homework with this one. One good place to start is with product reviews, like in the ones in the Ski Magazine gear review issue, or surf around the web to gear review sites.

Most of all, get to a reputable boot fitter. One that comes to mind is Green Mountain Orthotic Lab at Stratton, Vermont. They have a great reputation. Or you could go to https://www.bootfitters.com/FIND_SHOP.htm to find an ABB Certified Shop (America's Best Bootfitters). The most important thing is to find someone who's had extensive training in boot fitting.

I have Lange Banshees (a few years old) I had customized by Surefoot in Keystone. Surefoot is a chain that specializes in custom ski boots (they're mostly in the west, but I think there's one in NYC). They worked with me to get my boots exactly right, and I have to say it really paid off. I hope they never wear out.

So I guess it comes down to this: 1) investigate your options, 2) talk to people and read, read, read, and 3) find a trained boot fitter.

Just my 2 cents, but I hope it helps.

Lola

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
SnowHot said:
But if I don't put this link up, I'll get a Phil Phlogging!
https://www.northernski.com/Dalbello Krypton Series.html

I love my Dalbello boots but I must say I love my boot liners better. My husband, the aforementioned Phil, got me custom boot liners about 10 years ago and I can say enough good things about them. Basically, he took the old liners out of my boots. Then, he warmed up these customized boot liners in the oven. Then I put on my ski socks, he put the liners on my feet and then into my boots. My feet were really warm at first, but I kept them on for about 20 minutes. As the liners cool, they harden into a custom shape that fits my feet and my boots perfectly. Once they are fully cool, they stay in that shape permanently.

Now when I ski, there is no pinching, no movement of my feet in my boots, no sore spots - just pure comfort! And my feet are warm and toasty. I never have cold feet! I also think that I ski better with them because there is no movement of my feet in my boots - which means all of my energy transfers from my legs through my boots and right to my skis.

So my suggestion would be to try custom-molded boot liners no matter which boots you choose.

Lola

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
well said Lola!! It's an investment that you will appreciate evne on the coldest days!!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lola said:
I love my Dalbello boots but I must say I love my boot liners better. My husband, the aforementioned Phil, got me custom boot liners about 10 years ago and I can say enough good things about them. Basically, he took the old liners out of my boots. Then, he warmed up these customized boot liners in the oven. Then I put on my ski socks, he put the liners on my feet and then into my boots. My feet were really warm at first, but I kept them on for about 20 minutes. As the liners cool, they harden into a custom shape that fits my feet and my boots perfectly. Once they are fully cool, they stay in that shape permanently.

Now when I ski, there is no pinching, no movement of my feet in my boots, no sore spots - just pure comfort! And my feet are warm and toasty. I never have cold feet! I also think that I ski better with them because there is no movement of my feet in my boots - which means all of my energy transfers from my legs through my boots and right to my skis.

So my suggestion would be to try custom-molded boot liners no matter which boots you choose.

Lola
tcarey said:
well said Lola!! It's an investment that you will appreciate evne on the coldest days!!
Can hardly wait to get my toes in them there boots!

Jilly

Staff member
I can go along with finding a good boot fitter. And if they can't custom heat mold the liner, go far away from that shop. I got boots fitted at Daniel Lachance in Tremblant 4 years ago, and may need to see them this season. They took one look at my feet, asked about my skiing - where, how much and type of run. Came back with a few models, explained the difference in them and we decided on one. Then its a shell fit first. That way you get the right length. Then the liner without the shell. Then together. Heat mold the boot on their machine. Make "superfeet" to go in the bottom instead of the foot pad from manufacturer. Can't complain about anything except I think I need new ones this year. If the shop doesn't take 2 hours to fit you - leave! Also only look at women's boot - not junior boots, women's. Our legs/calves are totally different then boys or men's. Also the shape of a women's foot is different. We have narrower heels than guys. Myself I'm on Rossi Saphir top of the line. But that doesn't mean a thing if you foot is not the same shape as mine. Also don't go cheap on boots!! Your feet are in them maybe 6 hours. They should comfortable, but not like running shoes.

Lynn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
boots

I took lessons last year with a young man who trained with Harald Harb. He tweaked my daughters and husbands boots while with us. He and his partner have a web site where they have an equipment section. THEY DO NOT SELL EQUIPEMT but do have recommendations of which brands/products they find are better for different kind of feet. NESKISYSTEMS.COM[

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna