• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Icebreaker Sweaters

Elangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Last year I got a sweater from SAC and fell in love with merino wool. It is so soft and does not itch. I actually worked in a store this summer so that I could buy a bunch of sweaters and base layers from Icebreaker.

I am so amazed that they are so warm. In the beginning of the season, I was often hot because I did not believe that two or three layers of thin wool sweaters would keep me warm---but, they do. I love the feel of the wool and I really like the fact that they are less bulky than fleece. My fleece were pilling and collected lint and dog hair. My new wool sweaters are easily cleaned off with a brush that I keep in my car. I have four sweaters of the 320 weight--and they are awesome, they still look great after many days of wear. I have the base layers too---and my legs are warm for the first time in years.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ooh, I'll chime in here too!

I have the 260 (I think?) base layer. It is a really nice base and a pretty heather purple color, and as EG said, soooooft. They do not feel stiff or bulky, and I have even had decent luck the few times it accidentally got stuck in the dryer (no shrinkage!).

The fit is good, I think it would be a good choice for taller ladies, because there is plenty of room in length of arms as well as torso length (I have short arms and torso, but there is lots of room in both those areas for taller people). The size runs about true, mine is a medium I believe, but I could have gone for a small and been more form-fitting.

Also, the thumbholes are nice and don't hurt my hands by pulling too much against the skin when I wear layers overtop.

Overall, great gear for the $$. Keep your eyes on backcountryoutlet.com, because towards the end of the season you should be able to find lots of Icebreaker on sale (I got my shirt for something like $40 on clearance, and it was TOTALLY worth it!)

K.

lynseyf

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just got a 260 Icebreaker top this Christmas after wearing Helly Hanson Sportwool for years. I used to hillwalk with my parents when I was a kid and I still have some of the old helly hansons from then so they do last! I much prefer the smartwool though, I didn't realise until I got it but now when I wear the HH top I feel so much sweatier, it definately doesn't wick as well.

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm a big fan of merino wool. I have several pieces of Smartwool, Icebreaker, REI & Ibex. They each have their pluses & minuses. The SW seems to get holes in the seams easier than the others, where the Ibex starts to fray. Icebreaker appear to be the sturdiest.
But, I'm not cmplaining, I really love them.

I used to wear Polarmax or Hot Chilly layers and I agree when I put those on now, I really appreciate the wicking of wool.

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm a huge fan of Icebreaker. It's my base layer of choice, and I frequently wear a slightly heavier layer, e.g., 260, over that. It keeps me so warm, yet is also very light. And as I ski almost every day, I can't always wash them more than a couple of times a week, but they NEVER smell. A huge plus. Also, they just slide onto my jacket unlike fleece which kind of gets caught up in my sleeves.

I buy most of mine from SAC, although I went to an event here in T-Ride with a friend of mine for one of our local sport shops and got a bunch of it VERY cheap.

I'll never wear synthetics again as a base.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna