• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How'd you do with your goals this year?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Way back in September, right after this forum launched, we had a thread about what our goals were for this season. Now I'm curious -- how'd you do? Here were mine from that particular thread and here's how I did:

1) Meet (and ski with!) as many other Divas as possible. From what I've seen here, this is a great group and I'd love to get to know you better! Yep, done! Met a bunch of Divas this year: Thatsagirl, Lola, Lilgeorg, SnowHot, Liquidfeet, Marigee, Pequenita, Snowsprite, Batgirl, Bonni, Quiver Queen, Happy Feet, Tcarey, Cnewbound, SnoBunny. Great to meet you, one and all!

2) Get through the season uninjured. An injury can put a damper on anyone's season. So I hope I escape unscathed (hope you do, too!).So far, so good. Have a few more days to go, but so far I'm okay. (Hope this doesn't jinx it!)

3) Ski more days than last season. That's right, I'm never satisfied. More, more, more. Just grabby, I guess. Last year I hit 40. This year will be 52 or 53 -- not sure yet.

4) Try at least one new mountain. Always fun to mix it up a bit. Tried more than one: Burke, Jay, and Sunapee. And I liked them all!

5) Improve my skiing, particularly on moguls. I'm okay on a certain type, but once they get too big, too steep, or too icy, I'm out of my league. This is still a work progress.

6) Have fun! That shouldn't be hard. You can say that again!

All in all, not too bad!

Even if you didn't post back in September (we've had a lot of new members since then), post here now and let us know how you fared with your goals this season.

Jilly

Staff member
Can you bump that "goals thread" up? Can't remember mine or where the thread is! (Old age or spring fever??)

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Click on the word "thread" in the first sentence of my post, and it'll take you there! It's a link.

SnowGlider

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ahem . . . gulp . . .

Whelp, I might be better off looking to next year and setting new goals:

1. To see a podiatrist and figure out why my feet are killing me.

2. To be in much better physical condition at the beginning of the season.

3. To figure out what kind of skier I want to be, realistically, and feel good about that decision. Criteria: safety; pleasure; accomplishment---in that order. If I have to be a terminal intermediate but can enjoy that level, then so be it. (I learned that bit of wisdom from someone in this forum.)

4. To take some advanced lessons.

5. To ski way more than I did this year, be the snow gods willing.

NannyMin

Banned
This year's goals:

1. Get out of my "comfort zone": I definitely achieved this. I focused more on black diamond runs with moguls...I still don't love them but I am getting better slowly!

2. Do at least a few 5ft or more jumps: Just this week at Vail (I'm attending a Techinique week at Beaver Creek) I bit the bullet and went for it...I learned that the secret is to do it on a steep rather than jumping down to the flats...that doesn't feel too good!

3. Buy new boots: Yipee I love my Techinica Attiva's!

4. Get custom boot foot beds made: Done. They have made a huge difference in my carving ability.

Next Year's Goals:

1. Attend 2 Techinical Weeks at Beaver Creek.

2. Ski a chute

3. Explore whether shaving my boot down to adjust my alignment is necessary.

4. Ski somewhere in Utah

5. Meet a great guy who loves to ski!

Jilly

Staff member
My one goal was to take alook at getting my level 3 next year (08). I've decided that I will take the course again, and if there are "moments of brillance" I'll try the exams. I did teach at Tremblant during Presidents week, but I need more experience at higher skier levels. So, I might teach at the local hill for Ladies night and do the advanced class for them. With the weekend left to ski, I feel it was good year!

abc

Banned
Goal? What is that?

I don't have goals for my leasure activities. But I do usually make plans at the begining of the season for what I would like to do (not what I want to achieve) for this season. And if situation changed, plans got changed too. ;)

So, my plan was:

1) Replace my old-fashion straight ski with newer skis that carve well.
2) Learn new technique to go with the new ski
3) Learn telemark
4) Explore the winter mountainscape with my partner who's been my hiking and ski buddy for the past summer.

Well, but my partner left me right at the begining of the season. So it put a damper in my plan.

So I changed #4) to: Meet some new people on the snow!
And added one more:
5) Go ski in Europe again. (there's been more than 10 years since I've skied "over there")

Sort of an outgrowth of the old # 4 ;)

How am I doing? A bit different results than planned.

1) New ski: Haven't yet, still demoing some more. But I think I'll get that done by the end of this season (which still have a couple more weekends left)
2) Learn new technique with shaped ski. Going pretty well. I found carving easy and fun. And I also found new excitement carving my way through moguls!
3) Telemark: Very littel progress, spend most of my snow time alpine skiing!
4) Met quite a few new friends and many more very nice people. One of them I'll ski with again the next couple weeks. Will probably ski with some of the others again next season.
5) Went to Europe as planned. Enjoyed it enormously.

And not in the plan?

6) Bought a new pair of boots!

So, I've done more than I planned.

Next winter?

1) Play with my new ski (assuming I get one the next few weeks), especially in mogul fields. Might take a bump clinic or better, an Epic Academy!
2) Go ski in Europe again (probably with the same gang)
3) Learn to ski steep powder if I'm lucky enough to get the chance (just got enough of a taste this year, can't wait for another opportunaty). Otherwise, just learn to tackle deep off-piste crud! ;)
4) If I succeed in #3, then I'll also demo some fatter planks and make plan to buy another ski for off-piste use.
5) Try to give another go with telemark again

Quiver Queen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
1. Become proficient in powder--Nature conspired against me this year, both here in New England and in two separate weeks in Utah. If it hadn't been for the Diva gathering @ Jay, I'd have gotten nowhere regarding powder. Tho' I certainly wouldn't call myself proficient, I certainly learned how to have a good time in it!
2. Get "raccoon eyes"--got em! Sure, they were there for only about 30 hours, but I flaunted them while they lasted!

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My goals were:

1) to ski more agressively down the fall line; and
* I definitely made huge progress toward this. Except when I was on steep narrows. Stil working on that one!

2) add some speed (with confidence).

I finally reached this goal, after working on it for 2 years. It took getting a longer fatter pair of skis. maybe mind over matter, but I finally got there!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I want to ski with as many Bears and Divas as possible.
I want to learn, REALLY learn how to ski moguls.
I want to get my husband to stop working long enough to take a ski vacation with me.
I skied with a Buncha Bears and Divas! Yay!
I did get better in Moguls, and actually thought I was doing okay until I went to Kton. That's a whole new Mogul world. Time to practice, practice, practice.
A vacation with my husband didn't happen. He just won't leave work to do something fun. Maybe next year:confused:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I skied with a Buncha Bears and Divas! Yay!
I did get better in Moguls, and actually thought I was doing okay until I went to Kton. That's a whole new Mogul world. Time to practice, practice, practice.
A vacation with my husband didn't happen. He just won't leave work to do something fun. Maybe next year:confused:
I'd like to add that, my husband has said he will be eager to take a vacation with me next year. Seems that he saw how much fun I had and decided he wants to have fun too!:D

persee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well I wasn't a member last fall to have posted but some rough goals I had:

Ski lots!
Ski in Vermont again.
Air time. I want to go in the small parks and do jumps.
Improve my pole use
Faster, more edge-to-edge carving
Try new terrain

So on that list I failed miserably at number 1. I've been out pitifully few times due to a combination of factors. Was really hoping to get in one more day this weekend but hubby's knee is bothering him - he's got surgery soon - so it's a no go despite the beautiful conditions.

I did number 2 twice : Bolton Valley and Mount Snow.

I couldn't find much of any place to catch air. I caught little bits - ie 6" or less a few times with much effort and felt very comfortable but I wanted more.

I definitely accomplished the pole use and the faster edgetoedge carving. I was absolutely flying. It was very fun. Must do this some more.

New terrain was tried in small part. Ahh yes the ungroomed after 44" of snow crud experience at Bolton Valley in February. The good part was I made it down. The bad part was I was slow a pretty miserable, but did not fall. The other bad part while there was 44" of fluffy snow on parts of the trail, many others had exposed rocks! :eek:

So on to goals for next year:
Play with my new skis! (Attiva AC3s)
Possibly get new boots - I may be outgrowing mine in terms of skill, ie need less flex, etc
Ski ALOT.
Ski in Massachusetts
Ski in NY
Ski Sugarloaf again
Play in terrain park.
Meet/ski with divas!

Ice Queen

Certified Ski Diva
I wasn't a member last fall either, but I did have a goal of skiing a black diamond at Stowe, which I did. Centerline, Hayride, and also Liftline. I suppose I should say that I made it down them rather than using the term "skied." It's nice to look forward to the day when those trails won't scare me.

My only goal was to MAKE IT TO WINTER PARK AND TACKLE THAT DARN MOUNTAIN!!!!

I DID IT!!!!! WOOO HOOOO!:D

slipnslide

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did not see the original thread, but here were my goals:

1. Ski with my daughters who will not be with me much longer - I skied with the youngest all but 8 days. My 18 yo had to work or had other things going on, but she and I raced together and she came along on the Stowe and all but one of the western trips.

2. Increase the number of days I skied. I went from about 20 to 43 this year mainly because I moved closer to the mountains and joined a local race team. But, I also took 2 additional trips west.

3. Improve my technique in the moguls. Like SkiDiva, I can ski them until they get too big and icy. I did improve on big and/or steep moguls as long as they are soft.

4. Related to #1 was my goal to face the fall line in the steeps; I made most improvement in this area. What a difference it made when I finally forced myself to push my CM down that hill. I could control my turns which made it so much easier to control my speed. Arcmeister (Roger) at ESA 2005 in Snowbird taught me to always face the fall line as I dropped into the steeps then to make the turn. Two years later I finally have the confidence to follow this training advice.

5. Finalize my boot alignment issues - I am still working on this one

Spring, Summer and Fall:
1. Stay in shape
2. Take time for hiking, biking and kayaking with my daughters

Next ski season:
1. Meet some SkiDivas
2. Figure out a less expensive way to ski more out West. (I am currently working on this)
3. Boot alignment..argggh:eek:
4. Improve racing time

Squaw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Love all of your replies.

My eternal goal is to find people to ski with, especially women.

I found Ski Diva and all of you, so though it is virtual, it is a start!

And as far as not skiing so much alone, well, our 16 year old son skied a bit this spring with me. He has discovered that I am ok to ski with because I will go scope out his jumps! :rolleyes:

And I had a week with our college daughter at Whistler.

My brother-in-law came to the Squaw Expert clinic with me this year, and it was fun...but then he again threw out his back two weeks later!

For next year: A Ski Diva trip! Maybe Alta / Solitude?

Jen

Janetski

Diva in Training
I'm a newby but I really worked on my technique this season. I really wanted to perfect my turns. I think I made some real progress. My husband is an instructor so he is always helpful with the tips (sometimes a little too helpful, haha). Actually, he keeps me moving forward and I had a break through but now the snow is gone!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga