• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How your body does (and doesn't) adapt to cold.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
There's an interesting article about this in Outside Online. Does repeated exposure to cold help your body handle cold better? The answer may surprise you.

Do you run hot or cold? For me, it's cold, especially my hands and feet. Which is why I use boot heaters and heated mittens.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Interesting read, though the study seemed limited by the small sample size.

I run mostly hot, and hate overheating when skiing. I do use boot warmers, and super thick mittens until spring skiing starts up. I almost never put my helmet on while waiting for my students to show up.

When I get home I do get chilled while warming back up and often lay on a heat pad for twenty minutes.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Interesting article, but I'm surprised they didn't mention the influence of neurotransmitters/recptors on blood vessels; e.g., those who have an excess of alpha-adrenergic receptors will tend to have cold fingers and ties because it causes the capillaries to constrict. These are people who always have cold fingers, even in a warm room. They may also have hypertension, for the same reason. No amount of exposure to cold is going to resolve that problem, and there's no "getting used to it."

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna