• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: How to address tender peroneous (outside of calf)?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Every winter, the outside of my calves get super tender. I thought it had to do with falling in particularly awkward ways that bang my boots against my legs, but my massage therapist told me that skiers very commonly have a very tight peroneous, and that it can't be stretched and that it really needs cross-fiber friction, which is hard to do yourself because of the angles involved.

So - throwing this out there - do you have a tight / tender peroneous, and if so, is there anything that's particularly effective in soothing it?

My first thought is ice massage ...

Downunder Diva

Angel Diva
Bounceswoosh have you tried using a foam roller on your peroneal muscle? They're great for stretching out muscles that are difficult to stretch. I roller my ITB daily using a ribbed purple Thera-Roll and it has made an enormous difference. This link demonstrates how to stretch muscles including your peroneal using a roller https://smallstepstohealth.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/SMI-roller-guide.pdf. It hurt like hell when I first start rolling and I really questionned the masochism but after a few weeks the difference was amazing, so perseverance is the key - good luck! :smile:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's a lot of money for a stick!!

Chatagirl

Certified Ski Diva

Yep, but I :love: mine. Well worth the $30 I spent. And A LOT cheaper than a massage. You can find them at most running stores for less than on-line and no shipping.

A rolling pin would probably work just as well and you can roll out some pie crusts when you're finished :smile:

Downunder Diva

Angel Diva

If you think that's steep check out the Thera-Roll prices :rolleyes: I paid $100+ for mine. On the plus side is that they last seemingly for ever without losing their foam firmness or shape, and for novices or users with really tight muscle issues they are far easier/kinder - pain wise to use than the excellent suggestion made above of using a rolling pin. My suggestion would be to try the rolling pin first. You may find that these therapeutic aids don't seem so expensive after this. :wink:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna