• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How much to you think about what you are doing...

w.ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
[QUOTE
First, I've noticed that when I'm absolutely BOMBING down a black groomer, and going fast enough that the little voice in my head starts going "If you fall, it's REALLY gonna suck",

I hear the same little voice now and then, too. I take it as a message that, maybe, I shouldn't go even faster!

I like that virgin clutch move....think I'll try it next time I ski the bumps.:D

retromaven

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
First, I've noticed that when I'm absolutely BOMBING down a black groomer, and going fast enough that the little voice in my head starts going "If you fall, it's REALLY gonna suck", at that point I have to sometimes remind myself to breathe.

I hear you. I get those thoughts too. You know, it's nice to know that other people feel the same way, as I always thought that everyone else was completely "fearless" except me...

I was watching Warren Miller's "Impact" a couple of weeks ago and saw that even some of the top ranked [female and male] skiers in the world were nervous before taking some of their extreme runs. It's just reaffirmation that it is a normal reaction and it's our mental response to it, and relying on our ability that makes us conquer it. Many of the great suggestions here in these forums will continue to make a difference in my skiing, as it's nice to see we all have these thoughts, and it's great to see different techniques both mental and in skiing technique/pointers that get other Diva's through!!! My women's clinic instructor is a real hoot, and based on some of the "over the top" ski pointers she gives our ladies group, she's going to love (and probably steal) that "Virgin Clutch". Too funny -- but definitely an effective tool to remember technique!

PS. I love all the pictures from that thread. Looks like you guys had a great time!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
First, I've noticed that when I'm absolutely BOMBING down a black groomer, and going fast enough that the little voice in my head starts going "If you fall, it's REALLY gonna suck"
Yeah. Sure wish I'd had that voice talking to me late in Nov when I did my digger on a black groomer----caught me totally off-guard, and I was one hurtin' diva for a month. Gotta crank up the volume on that "voice!" (I think I already have....can't crash like that again :rolleyes: )

retromaven

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
MaineSkiLady

Let's trade voices for a day. I could use your whisper, and you can have my "shout". LOL Maybe they'll meld and strike a happy medium. Glad to hear that hip is feeling better!!! Based on the lack of "voices" (until recently) I think we can officially call you the MAD BOMBER MaineSkiLady. I know I'd be "dusted" if I ever tried to keep up skiing with you! LOL

:ski2:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
MaineSkiLady

Let's trade voices for a day. I could use your whisper, and you can have my "shout". LOL Maybe they'll meld and strike a happy medium. Glad to hear that hip is feeling better!!! Based on the lack of "voices" (until recently) I think we can officially call you the MAD BOMBER MaineSkiLady. I know I'd be "dusted" if I ever tried to keep up skiing with you! LOL

:ski2:
Nah, definitely not a bomber (usually), but mad is up for discussion :wink: - somewhere in between the two is the "talking voice!" :laugh: I'd done that run dozens of times, maybe 100+ even, and now each time I do (just a classic black, nothing gnarly), I tend to hit that same spot and think WHAT happened that day??? Oh well, it's history, except that in the course of having my hip x-rayed, I got banned from yoga by the (female) orthopedist, who said it was ultimately doing my hip joints more harm than good :( (pilates, anyone?) IMHO, skiing at controlled, moderate speed is an art form. I keep reminding myself of this!

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I find that I tend to over-think my technique when I'm being watched (or think I'm being watched). It's really stupid, but I'm sure I'm not alone worrying about the way I look when I ski. I wonder if sometimes we get so wrapped up in being "good" skiers, when we're really just wrapped up in being "beautiful" skiers.

I have a touring buddy that has really helped me get over my self-conciousness when it comes to "skiing beautiful". We were touring a couple weeks back, and as we watched a girl coming down the bowl we just skied, I muttered, "Geez, I hope I don't look like that when I ski." He turned to me and said, "She's having fun. Did you have fun skiing that?" I nodded, feeling a little sheepish. "Well then, I think she's skiing just fine. And you skied it just fine too. That's why we're all out here, right?"

I find that on the days when I'm truly enjoying skiing for the sake of skiing, just for the feeling of cutting turns through untouched pow or linking turns down a steep line, my skiing is at its best. Those are the days I'm relaxed and confident, because I KNOW I have the skills and it doesn't matter how I look while I'm doing it. Confidence allows the mind to clear and relax, which in turn allows the body to do what it needs to do without second-guessing.

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had another thought about this...

I've also noticed that I ski my best (and analyze myself the least) when I'm challenging myself doing something scary. Fear can bring out the best in some people, since it forces you to trust your skills. In those cases, you have to ski smart and aggressively, so that's what you do. You just don't have room in your head to over-analyze yourself while you're scared!

For an interesting look at the mind-control aspect of high-stress, "mental" sports (such as skiing and rock climbing), I totally recommend The Rock Warrior's Way. It's aimed at rock climbers but it has some great ideas about calming the mind and controlling fear in highly stressful situations.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Points understood, but as you say, skiing smart and aggressively takes more "inner prep" for some than others. You've reached the point of auto-pilot, which is great. Lots of others haven't and are still waiting for the pieces to fall together, as it were.

I think we all have a strong and weak side turn, as well as at least one if not several well-known bad habits that we have to consciously remind ourselves not to do.

The more challenging the terrain for the individual, the more these factors come into play, thus the thought process. The little mistakes can magnify when the pedal hits the metal.

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The more challenging the terrain for the individual, the more these factors come into play, thus the thought process. The little mistakes can magnify when the pedal hits the metal.

This is very true! I definitely don't deny that I have completely lost my mind (and technique) in scary situations. I've been a blubbering, crying mess standing at the top of an intimidating line. I've taken my skis off and butt-slid down a section more than once. There is definitely a fine line between the "good" fear and the "bad" fear. A little bit of fear can help, a lot can make you fall apart. Auto-pilot can only get you through the manageable fear.

I guess talking yourself through mechanics can be a very effective method of managing fear. It channels your concentration in a very specific way, taking your thoughts away from fear and doubt.

Of course, this is all just me blabbering away since I'm bored, so take it with a grain of salt. :p

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I guess talking yourself through mechanics can be a very effective method of managing fear. It channels your concentration in a very specific way, taking your thoughts away from fear and doubt.
DH was an instructor for many years, and I've seen him many times (with me, too!) talking students through it all. Since he basically taught me everything I know (for better or worse :wink: ), that's the resonating voice I hear when I'm facing a challenge. Sometimes in my head, sometimes it's him for real. I'm always a mess in steep moguls...:rolleyes:

skigrl27

Ski Diva Extraordinaire<br>Legal & Environmental A
Found myself skiing solo all weekend, so I took the opportunity to work on technique. I thought a lot more about what I was doing than when I'm ripping it up with my usual group.

I agree, when going super fast I also think "this could really hurt" but then I usually breathe to keep my tempo going & stay in rhythm.

When I'm on the bumps, I've been working on the single pole plant to keep me forward & keep me turning. That's my goal this winter, to master the bumps.

pleen

Certified Ski Diva
I don't so much as think about WHAT I'm doing, but instead WHERE I want to go, several turns ahead.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I am skiing, especially on steeper slopes, or ungroomed, or tree skiing, I notice that I really have to concentrate on what I am doing.

I was curious to hear some feedback from other Divas. Do you notice that you really concentrate on what you are doing? Or do you feel you are in "auto pilot"?

Sheena, how much(if at all) did this change after you attended BigSky ESA?

I found myself getting stuck in the power corner of the sports diamond all the time.
  • I was over thinking my drills.
  • I was over thinking my moves
  • I was over thinking my everything!!!

It wasn't until the third day when Squatty was giving our group members individual instructions, telling each person the ONE thing he wanted them to think about. He saved me til last and said, "Girl, I don't want you to think about anything. You think too much. I'm putting you on time out in the touch corner, and you can't come out until I tell you, you can. Forget everything and just feel it!"

THAT is when it came together for me!!! :yahoo:
Come to think of it, Squatty never gave me permission to come out of the touch corner.

For those of you who are not familiar with the Sports diamond, you may enjoy picking up a copy of Weem's book, Brilliant Skiing Every Day.

He uses the sports diamond, which is the foundation of ESA.
The diamond consists of 4 corners:
  • Power - technique, gear, movements
  • Purpose - I want to get from here to there and make # turns, through deep powder, or on icy slopes
  • Will - I want to ski this steep slope. I want to ski this mogul run. I will muster up the will to do it
  • Touch - When you have to let it all go and just feel it!

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Oooohhh, so many thoughts from reading all of the above. Like Ski Diva, I can't work on more than a few things at once. And, yes, I can overthink what I'm doing. When I ski days by myself, I mix it up, usually working on skills in the morning and somewhere in the latter part of the day, just let it flow. I'm still bothered by a fall the last afternoon of this past season, slush was setting in and I'd been very disciplined on each run down the most difficult slope at Appalachian. But about 3 o'clock there were a couple snow boarders on "my run" which had been private all afternoon- a distraction. My ADHD kicked in and I wiped out 2/3 way down severely pulling the tendon running up the back of my leg (correct terms?):yardsale:. It still bothers me some at night, swimming or biking periodically. Ouch! Makes me question whether I should try to race another season?

Jenn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am amazed at all the thinking that goes on with skiers - I never realized! I mostly listen to myself breathing and the sound of snow against my skis. The only time I stop and think is at the head of a big mogul run. The thought? (In between breaths) S**t - where to now?!

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The more I think what I am doing on the slope, the more frighten I may be if its steep/icy/dangerous!
So its better to think about other things!:becky:

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sheena, how much(if at all) did this change after you attended BigSky ESA?

I found myself getting stuck in the power corner of the sports diamond all the time.
  • I was over thinking my drills.
  • I was over thinking my moves
  • I was over thinking my everything!!!

I

I just saw this post. I know my last weekend at my local hill - I skied much differently. Instead of thinking about where I needed to go, and what I need to do technique wise - I really just went for it - and I did this on a slope I had been avoiding since I moved here because I thought it was "too hard" or I did would not be able to do it. I hope I can keep this going into this new season.

I am working hard on not talking my self out of things before I even try.

C

CMCM

When I am skiing, especially on steeper slopes, or ungroomed, or tree skiing, I notice that I really have to concentrate on what I am doing.

I was curious to hear some feedback from other Divas. Do you notice that you really concentrate on what you are doing? Or do you feel you are in "auto pilot"?

Oh my my, never on auto pilot! But I wish! No, for me skiing is always near total concentration. I'm always thinking and planning and watching.....yet despite this, I find skiing a very relaxing sport.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Seems to me that my best days are ones in which I seem to be on auto-pilot and it all just flows. I seem to be looser and perhaps it's a deeper kind of focus than when I'm disaggregating my ski moves and trying to over think. And the time flies and I forget to eat.

But not everyday is this way. New terrain, choppy snow, fatigue and other factors are at play sometimes and I find myself pulling back and thinking too much, which seems like so much more work. And surely less fun.

mountainxtc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
haha, this is such a women's thread!

I've found one of the major differences between men and women is that women think hard and analyze hard, whereas men just go for it. This is my take on it:

Men, in general, are stronger physically. They can often ski faster than their ability dictates and still feel comfortable because they have the strength to deal with and recover from a sticky situation - an unexpected bump, compression, getting out of balance etc. As women, we know instinctively that we are less likely to be able to come out of such a situation unscathed, so we have to work hard on technique, and only ski at a speed consistent with our ability level.

So. Seeing as we can't change that, most of us need to concentrate hard on something as we ski. Heads up: it is impossible to work on more than 1 or 2 things simultaneously (although popular opinion would suggest it's easier for us than our male counterparts!), so don't try. Of course we all have more than 2 things that need work, but if you try to think about everything, nothing ends up actually happening with any consistency.

My advice: pick 2 things that help you the most. concentrate hard on one of them for 10 turns, then switch to the other for 10 turns. then switch back to the first, and so on. this way you can focus consistently, whilst starting to blend 2 skills and not crowding your brain. eventually, these movements or feelings will become part of your natural movement pattern and you won't have to think about them any more. this is when you pick 2 more things (or better yet, let your instructor pick them for you!).

happy turns!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga