• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How guilty should I feel about . . .

SnowGlider

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
buying and returning several pairs of boots after trying them once?

I've already bought 3 pairs and returned 2. I'm still not happy with the 3rd pair, which I skied in once. I've located another good contender. How terrible would it be to buy a 4th pair???

[I'm talking about 3 different stores.]

Do the rest of you women go through this agony with your boots?

Problem is simple: You can't demo boots. And you only know when you've skied in them whether they're right or not.

I feel like I'm being led astray by salesmen selling me boots that are too soft and too large and convincing me we can pack them out.

I'm going to need psychoanalysis before this boot buying thing is over. I've torn most of my hair out; haven't slept for a week; starting to look gaunt and bug eyed. Sincerest apologies if I'm making the rest of you nuts as well.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You shouldn't feel guilty because you NEED your feet to be happy.

You should, however go to a shop with a quality bootfitter, and check their gaurantee.

There are two ski shops locally, Don Orr and Kp Mountain shop, that give you a three fit guarantee. By that they mean you give them three ski days and three fittings to tweek the boot for you. If you're still not happy, they'll put you in another boot.
I've only heard of one person who returned a boot, because by the third fit these amazing bootfitters have given you happy feet.

Some feet will not be happy with boots out of the box, you may be one of them.

altagirl

Staff member
Don't feel guilty.

The salespeople selling you boots that don't fit should be the ones feeling guilty. If I'm remembering correctly, the last ones were a size too big because the shop didn't have the smaller size. That's not the right answer. I'm sure it happens all the time - "Hey, this is what we have in stock and need to sell, convince people to buy them!" I went in to a shop once looking at 106mm waisted powder skis and asked the price since they weren't marked. The idiot there told me I couldn't ski them and really needed a Rossi Bandit X. So not only are we insulting my skiing ability based on my appearance - since the sales guy didn't ask me a single question (or even if they were for me), but my intelligence, since there were about 20 pairs of Bandit X's on the wall and one solitary pair of the Big Stix 106 that I was looking at. Gee, I wonder why we're pushing that particular ski today?

Now, if you're going around just buying boots that are on sale and ignoring the bootfitter's advice and then returning them - it's time to go find a good bootfitter (who will guarantee your fit and exchange the boots if they're not working out) and trust their judgement.

A few things to keep in mind:

1. The best fitting boot can be the most uncomfortable out of the box. You want it snug all around which may mean you have really uncomfortable pressure points until the boot is blown out to accomodate the irregularities of your individual foot. A good fitter knows what's easy to do (blowing out for toes, etc) and what is not, and can look at the shape of your foot and know what boot is for you.

2. Don't sell yourself short. There are different types of customers. Some want performance and others just want comfort. Not that you can't have a performance fit that is comfortable, but if your bootfitter is talking about a "comfort" fit - they're picturing you as a skier that wants your feet to feel nice while you're walking around the lodge and will work for you while cruising around easy groomers without compromising warmth and comfort. And then there are the people who want maximum performance and are okay with a tighter fit because they know it will work better for them. I'm not saying you should say you're a racer if you're a beginner, but at least make sure you tell them what you WANT to be doing in the future and that you're looking for performance, not just comfort. A performance fit can be perfectly comfortable (I have about a 1/2 finger fit and it's VERY comfortable), it just takes some work, and you have to invest both time and money into it to get there.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Talk to your local kids (or Masters) race coach and find out who fits their boots then make an appointment with them. Be honest in your assesment of yourself and let them know not only your current abilities and terrain, but also your aspirations. Follow their recommendation....but if you feel at any point that they're trying to down sell you, walk away.

SnowGlider

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks and update

Based on the above, I did return #3 boots to the store and got a refund. They were mad but ultimately accommodating.

#4 is Head S9, a full size smaller than the 1st 3 boots. I focused on what I keep reading: that the boots should feel a little uncomfortable out of the box. Well, these are definitely tight, lots of red spots when I take them off. But in a flexed position my toes are retracted about 1/4" to 3/8". Forefoot is snug, not tight or loose. Heel is uncomfortably tight. I have about 1 finger in the shell, maybe slightly more.

Sin of all sins, I bought these at a shop that offers zero fitting. Salesman: "We don't do fitting because boots are supposed to fit you right out of the box." Sheesh. Fortunately I wasn't able to identify any areas that needed adjustment.

I searched my small state high and low for size 24 boots at my skiing level. I swear this was the last pair available anywhere at the end of the season.

So once again I have high hopes that this boot will be THE ONE!! Please pray for me, my friends.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga