• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Hiking in the ADK's (NY)

Kara79

Certified Ski Diva
Does anyone hike in the Adirondack's?

I am working on the 46 High Peaks. Just finished my first winter one a few weeks ago on snowshoes.

I am up to 11, now only 35 more to go!

gr8outdoors

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My family does day hikes. We camp north of Old Forge every year and have been trying to do some kind of hiking each of the last two years.

That is great that you are working on becoming a 46er! Can any of them be done without spending the night?

I would love to hear more about how you got started with this and about your adventures!

Sherry

Kara79

Certified Ski Diva
I got into hiking because I needed something to do to keep me in shape for winter :wink:

Seriously though.... I love being outdoors and active. When I met my fiancee two years ago I started doing a lot more hiking because I finally had someone to go with.

A lot of High Peaks can be done in a day but you need to get a nice early start on the day. I did do one overnight backpacking trip up Mt. Marcy in the Summer of '07 but that was strenuous with all the gear.

abc

Banned
I used to go up to the High Peak regions of the ADK park a lot, and did probably 5-6 of the 4000 footers. Then I discovered the Whites!

I still go up to ADK for a bit of back country skiing once in a while. But I'm now falling "out of love" with the region... Not because it's not beautiful. It's as beautiful as ever. But too many of my fellow downstaters had finally "discovered" ADK and I'm running away from them!

It's too early to think about hiking in February (ok, ok, today's March, fine)!!!

whitewater girl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I do some day-hiking up there (mostly attached to boating trips!)...would like to do more, but being single there's always that thing about who to go with (I'm a bit conservative about solo hiking at this point - do some, but only well traveled trails...)

abc

Banned
I do some day-hiking up there (mostly attached to boating trips!)...would like to do more, but being single there's always that thing about who to go with (I'm a bit conservative about solo hiking at this point - do some, but only well traveled trails...)
You might want to look into the AMC (Appalachian Mountain Club) or ADK.

Both are predominantly hiking clubs having white water contingents that paddle up in the ADK region. So you can go with people who both hike and paddle...

Kari_P

Certified Ski Diva
I used to work at Camp Dudley YMCA in Westport, NY in the High Peaks and led backpacking and hiking trips in the Daks all summer. Love it up there!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna