• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help buying Freestyle/Twin tip skis!!

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Also, listen to Veggielasagna about the K2 PE. That is a great ski as well and many women love it. Very versatile like the Lines, great in the park, too. Holds an edge, maneuverable. There should be some of those out there for sale. Just another option. I'd pick that over the K2 Missdemeanor.

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It sounds like you may be over or under jumping the landing hill itself. You really want your body extended from the time you take off the lip through the landing. What happens when you land bent over is your chest drops forward and your rear end shoots back onto the tails of your skis. This puts you at risk for knee injury, back injury as well as simply hitting your knee on your chin or end of your pole. When you land extended your knees can still bend to absorb as you hit, but your body is stacked uniformly allowing you the ability to re-extend or the second part of absorbtion. What happens when you land bent over is you have to drop so far down to take on the first phase, that you are no longer stacked to re-extend and you end up compressing aas opposed to absorbing. Does that make sense? Perhaps photos or videos would demonstrate better?

That's what I meant to say.... It was late, apologies if it sounded completely wrong.

If you're going between K2 and Line, I'd go with Line, they know what they are doing.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's what I meant to say.... It was late, apologies if it sounded completely wrong..

No apology necessary, I understand. I just wanted to clarify as jumping is either very safe or very unsafe, just don't want anyone hurting themselves as long as I can help it. And quite frankly, there is very limited good information on proper jumping out there, how the heck is anyone suppose to know how to do it? So I thought I better just throw out a couple nuggets;).

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
how the heck is anyone suppose to know how to do it?

Awww come on, I thought everyone blindly skiied up to 60ft gaps and launched off them with ease.

:doh:

:loco:

matea98

Certified Ski Diva
Ok so I ended up going to Mont Tremblant today to check out some what twin-tips I could buy/demo and to try my hand at some freestyling. Firstly, apparently no rental/demo place demos twin-tips, so I was basically forced to purchase a pair. Thus, I went to the best ski boutique in Quebec, Daniel Lachance. Unfortunately, they didn't have any Line or Armada skis, but the guy there highly recommened that I try out the Dynastar Pro Model Marie Martinod in 165cm with PX12Ti (one of their best) bindings. Sooo, I decided let's give it a shot since he gave me the ski+ biding package for $400, whereas regular price it would have been around $800 (mostly because of the bindings). They are known to be a great park ski, soft enough for landing big jumps, yet stiff enough to do the rails. Also, the middle width is 81mm so it still allows carving; carving down blacks was actually quite easy so I'm happy with the purchase.

With my new Twin-tips and all, I was very excited to get out to the terrain park and try some jumps. Unfortunately, the weather was unfriendly today in regards to opening the intermediate terrain park (it was a bit too icy). The advanced park was open, but I was in no shape to attempt that. This was quite disheartening. Nevertheless, I wasn't going to waste a day of skiing, and so I decided to teach myself to Switch ski on the green runs.

Wow, it was really awkward at first and one ski would always get tangled with the other until I finally figured it out. I really had to be centered on both skis and activating the edge occurred with my toes and then everything sort of followed. Needless to say, it took me at least 5 runs to get a relatively good hang of it. By the end of the day, I was constantly doing the switch turns, skiing switch, turning back to the front....definitely got a few "admiring" looks from the men passing by hehe!

By the way, I wanted to get soome freestlye coaching, except it was $155 + tax for 1.5 hours so i just said no. Anyways, I am looking forward to more freestyle skiing, especially the summer camp. I am still quite intrigued with LINE skis, so when I start doing jumps and incorporating tricks, I think I will purchase a pair of LINE skis....then again, I have no idea how the Dynastars are with jumps; they could be the best thing since sliced bread, they could be the worst...we'll see!

Thanks for everyone's advice! By the way, does anyone know of a an online store that has deals on LINE skis currently?

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You've been skiing with "the guys" for too long. :laugh:

Awww. Someone understands!!!!!:thumbsup:

Matea- Glad you had fun! And found some good skis!!! I'll be skiing the parks all weekend, after reading all of this!:love:

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
does anyone know of a an online store that has deals on LINE skis currently?

You can go directly to https://www.lineskis.com and they have links to online dealers. Evogear https://www.evogear.com/shop/line-skis.aspx also has GREAT prices on Line right now. Besides the Celebrity, I also own the Anthem, a fully symmetrical park ski. But I haven't had the chance to ski it yet, as I bought it right when my ski season here ended.:(

You're lucky you are still able to ski where you live. Congrats on the switch skiing! Fun, isn't it? I love rotating back and forth between switch and forwards.

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nice! I have the previous year model of the Dynastar Marie Martinod Pro TTs with NX10 bindings. I have not skied any park stuff, though, so I didn't offer any input. Mine is 3mm narrower in the waist than your model, but still a great all mountain ski.

Congrats on teaching yourself how to ski switch! I will attempt that...next season. :D

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Congrats on teaching yourself how to ski switch! I will attempt that...next season. :D

Severine - come to the Diva Summit and we'll ski switch! We should all do it and somebody needs to take a pic - all the divas coming down the hill butt first!:becky:

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Matea98, your Dynastars look very cool! Stick with them for awhile, I think they'll serve you well. How did you get them mounted? I'd only go with another twintip right now if you want something mounted differently (i.e. center-mounted) or you want something fatter.

Don't see a lot of Dynastars around here....

matea98

Certified Ski Diva
Vanhoskier:
I got them mounted a cm from the center so I could do jumps with a bit more stability, yet still be able to do rails. Are yours center mounted or..?

And I agree, rotating back and forth from switch to forwards is a lot of fun! Unfortunately, we are getting drained with rain so I doubt I will get any more skiing in until the summer, but there is hope for late next week!!

Also, how long have you been doing freestyle? What has been the toughest/easiest trick to learn when jumping? Do you recommend I buy those hideous impact shorts that make my bum look huge? My biggest fear isn't even getting a lot of air or going at a high speed....just falling :(

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
My Celebrities are traditionally mounted as they are more of an all-mountain ski, but my Anthems are center-mounted, and are designed to be mounted that way. Sounds like you made a good choice with mounting that allows you some versatility.

I've only been in the park since last year. Actually, I started doing jumps about 3 years ago but then laid off it due to an injury (non-skiing related) for a bit. So I just started again last year. Right now, I can only do a tail grab, and I haven't gotten up the courage to land switch but that's my next goal. My experience with falling from jumping is that usually it's not a big deal, but I'm not 30 feet in the air, either. A lot of times if I land off balance I may wipe out a bit, but just get right back up. It doesn't hurt, as long as you have enough speed to clear the flat bit....that's when landing hurts...if you land on the flat part. So with bigger jumps, I think it's a mind over matter thing,because it seems scary to approach them with speed (you just want to scrub it off) but the speed actually makes the landing easier.

Rails and boxes...not my thing. Falling from those things HURTS. And you have to accept that your edges will get banged up if you do them a lot, so use a dedicated ski for them.

(It cracks me up when I hear young freestylers complain that their edges are coming out, or that their ski is delaminating, when they are doing rails every day. Ski warranties, even on twin tips, don't cover rails and boxes...the edges on even the best-built ski will eventually take a severe beating).

(I'm 41 years old....so I'm just happy that I can do jumps!):ski2:

About the padding....I've never seen anybody here use them, but if you really want to go hard-core in the park, I might do it if I were you. A fat-looking bum is better than a bruised, broken tailbone-bum.:injured:

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Also, START SMALL. Go to the kiddie terrain park. Don't let your ego get in the way if you are surrounded by 10-year-old snowboarders. Do the little jumps over and over, until you are completely comfortable and doing solid landings all the time. If there are those short little rails or boxes that are not even off the ground, that's the best place to learn them. Any freestyle coach I've seen starts with really small stuff first. If falling is the thing that scares you, falling in the kiddie park isn't as big a deal.

You are young, so you will pick it up quickly and move on to bigger things much faster than this middle-aged diva!:becky:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga