• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Helmet Rant.

Jillian

Certified Ski Diva
Quiver Queen, this year my husband asked me to get him a second helmet as the colour of his original one was no longer cool!

abc

Banned
Just a thought.
Do you do anything she doesn't like?
Leave dishes in the sink?
Use too much hot water?
Maybe you could make a trade If you try a helmet then.........
That's the best one!

Better yet, pick something YOU know you should do better but were not motivitated to do. Make it a challenge for yourself. And a helmet as a challenge for your roommate. Both of you would be better as a result.

Better friends too.

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for all the tidbits. Yeah, I know, we've gone round and round this subject before. But... its always a topic of conversation.

SnowHot- Thanks for being honest. I realize that it's really "none of my business", but when I merely suggested such while we were talking about ski gear, she got extremely defensive, and for what I think are silly reasons. heh.

Anyways, we'll see how the entire thing goes, I'm tempted to pick up another helmet as a backup this winter, I might try offering for her to wear it to see what she thinks. Hrrm.

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
DH bought a helmet, and had a tumble the next day that made him glad he'd done it.

I was chatting with a guy about my age on a lift one day, who was wearing a helmet for the second time, he said. The thought occurred to him, he said, that he was making his kids wear helmets, and he'd best walk the walk. After resisting for years, he'd discovered that he really liked it -- warmth, etc.

Karen in Boise

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Example of a change of heart from one of my Non helmet wearing friends:
We started to do more tree skiing, as a group. One day, he refused to go into the trees with us and said he had a close call with a low lying limb on a previous run, hence deciding he needed to helmet shop.
I volunteered to help him shop to find the right fit and deal. :smile:
A week later he was skiing with a helmet and wondered why he didn't take the leap sooner.
Most who try a helmet don't go back to a hat. The same will probably happen with your room mate, OJ, but you have to be patient and cheerful about it. :smile:

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

skimomma24

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just wanted to say to you all that by reading this post, you have made me feel less self-conscious. This will be my first time ever wearing a helmet for skiing. I know, crazy. I bought one that I think is kinda cool, and hopefully protective enough. the only reason I got it, is because I will be a new instructor. But yes, I do make my kids wear one. Practice what I preach I suppose, right? I was just feeling self-conscious about the way it will look. But it definitely looks better than a concussion, or worse. So.. thanks.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Skimomma, this pic is an example of how hot the helmet clad divas are!
n830505017_2719738_3665.jpg

skimomma24

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Haha! Thanks, great pic!

So can anyone tell me... I just pulled it out, and it's a Head Pro MOJO. Is that a good one? When I bought it, the guy there said it was good?? I don't know how to tell the difference with helmets. Other than purely on esthetics. ;)

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There is actually an impact rating for helmets, but I believe that the rating system is not consistent. What I look for in a helmet is that it fits correctly and doesn't obstruct my vision. IMO a helmet can have the highest impact rating but if it doesn't fit, then it won't do its job.

Jilly

Staff member
skimomma - I'll check, but I think helmets must be CSA approved to be sold in Canada. So there is some guideline for their manufacture. The sticker should be on the helmet - under the lining/padding. And as for whether its good - if it fits - its good!

skimomma24

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
skimomma - I'll check, but I think helmets must be CSA approved to be sold in Canada. So there is some guideline for their manufacture. The sticker should be on the helmet - under the lining/padding. And as for whether its good - if it fits - its good!

Thanks! It does have a safety rating, but I have no idea what it means. Just a bunch of letters/numbers. ??? It does fit, and looks half-decent, I think. :smile:

Loneskier

Diva in Training
Helmets

Last season all the adults I ski with got helmets. All it takes is falling and hitting your head to scare you into getting a helmet. One benefit is you don't have to worry about hats. I bought one of those small beenies to wear under my helmet and I have never had a cold head.

Amanda:smile:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga