• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Has anyone been to Maria Alm? (Austria)

Lilywhite

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi ladies, newbie to this forum hoping for some insider info, If anyone knows of a decent instructor or school they can recommend in the Maria Alm area I would appreciate the input. I'm a disabled(but have all my limbs and ski standing) intermediate skier who needs someone with a bit of patience while we work out how to translate their instructions into something that works for someone who feels little if anything (on a good day) from her ankles down. I finally began carving (of a fashion) after a private lesson with a very patient Australian instructor in Sweden last year, he was so good I talked my bf into another holiday 6 weeks later to have more lessons with him! He thought I was nuts when I told him what was wrong and why I was having such trouble taking his advice in the group lessons (I didn't want to hold everyone else up or have them baby me,so I did not tell them of my issue and trust me I will give most things a go at least once and all the time my disability does not stop me ironing it will not stop me doing things I do love!) Thank you also If you know of any great watering holes or restaurants? Cheers x

dawnRwright

Diva in Training
Hi Lilywhite!

i understand your situation, however I am also a beginner in skiing... I cannot recommend anything but I appreciate your courage to learn skiing.. keep it up... it makes me eager to learn more in skiing...

Lilywhite

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Cheers Dawn, I'm really not that brave, I just love the freedom of the mountain and the feeling of travelling under my own steam that I just can't get by hiking or biking as my body won't work like that, skiing however is well balanced (when I get my ducks in a row at any rate) does not involve standing on 1 leg (normally!) And is all round bloody good fun x:smile:

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hiya! I've been to a lot of resorts in Austria( I'm going back to St Anton in February, yay) but I'm afraid I've never heard of Maria Alm.

I'm sure if you go and speak to the local ski school they'll be able to sort you out with an instructor. That's what a friend of mine did when we went to a small resort called Kreischberg.

I will have a look in my Good Ski and Snowboarding guide and see if I can find anything out for you.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Lilywhite

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks Liquid yellow, its part of the ski amade, in salzburgerland and Hochkonig is the name of the immediate area of 4 small towns. It is listed in the where to ski and snowboard guide but that has little info, my copy is years old so maybe if yours has an updated page it may have more info, thank you for taking the time to check for me. I'm so excited!March was last time I skied and that seems like years ago!

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OK, there is quite a bit about it in my guide! It says it is very pretty and the most 'animated' of the villages - good apres, hurrah. It also says prices are very low which is good.

Restaurants recommended for eating out are: the 'friendly' Wirtshausl, the Almerwirt, Alpenland Sporthotel and the Dorfcafe.

For apres: Bachwirt and Dengl Alm are 'jolly traditional bars', Almer Tenne has live music and Orgler Keller is good for a quieter time.

It also says all four main villages have ski schools and many instructors speak good English. Maria Alm's school was 'great and catered for all our different levels'.

I hope this helps! I also hope you have a great time and find a good instructor (it sounds like you will).

Lilywhite

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks LY, more excited now, thanks for the info, notes taken, now I just want to get out there, mountains, apres and freedom. x

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga