• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

hard shell vs softshell

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Which do you prefer? They say that some softshells only repell water for a limited amount of time, what are your experiences? My experience with softshell was shortlived, I ended up with a hole in it and had to send it in for warranty. Literally just hole one day, hmm how did that get there. So I ended up with a gift card instead of a replacement jacket. Now I need to decide what to do. Also how about the softshell pants, anyone tried these? :ski:

Jilly

Staff member
I was at a Columbia PK a week ago. The rep mentioned that yes the repellant factor doesn't last forever. But washing helps bring it back. I wouldn't want to be out in a gale force storm with it either. I don't know anything about the pants though. My softshell jacket is not insulated so it a underlayer in the winter. But I'm wearing for the weather we have right now.

Elangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I ski with the Mountain Hardware Syncro Jacket---and it is awesome. I ski in Montana, so we do have some cold days--I ususally wear Icebreaker wools in some sort of layers underneath it. However, on a really wet or windy day, I switch to a hard shell.

The advantages of the soft shell? It does not swish when I wear it which I really like. Also, it is very comfortable--cause it is soft! It makes a great jacket to wear around too. I think that soft shell jackets are not all alike---some like the ones from Ibix have different amounts of wool linings in them. I had a Spyder jacket that got stolen and I liked it too, but it was almost like Neoprene and it smelled after a few wearings---I washed that jacket more than any other one I have ever had. (When I wrote to Spyder to ask about the smell issue--they suggested that I try deoderant!!!)

So, if you are only going to have one jacket---then a hard shell is safer. If you have an old hard shell, try a soft shell for more comfort and freedom from rigid fabric. I love mine and wear it alot.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had a Spyder jacket that got stolen and I liked it too, but it was almost like Neoprene and it smelled after a few wearings---I washed that jacket more than any other one I have ever had. (When I wrote to Spyder to ask about the smell issue--they suggested that I try deoderant!!!).

That is completely inexcusable, did you know patagonia and possible some others are now treating the fabric to eliminate smell? I have a couple of these products, I think they work, but I won't get into that.
I had a softshell last year, a really lightweight thin one and for the most part I loved it. Occasionally though I felt that the Hellgate winds ( and you probably know what those are ) were a little too much riding the chair. I did alot more off area skiing in the past and I don't get out as much anymore, so I am on the fence, go for the cushy super warm shell and be comfortable on the chair, or go for the lighter jacket that I can also throw on for a hike, bike, etc. What I think I will have to do is get the warmer one for now, and pick up a lighterweight down the road.

My husband picked up a great Burton softshell in Montana last Winter that I spotted for him and lives in it not just when he's riding, so I bought myself the women's verson when it went on sale at the end of the season. I'm looking forward to using it on warmer days and in the park where my adrenaline gets me going and I'm usually on the lower half of the mountain.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have both, for different weather conditions.

Even in the hardshell, any DWR (Durable Water Repellant) coating will only last for a while. Washing and drying helps to keep it going longer, but still......

When our DWR wear starts soaking through, we wash it with Nikwax TX.Direct Wash-In. It works like a charm!

If you regularly ski or ride in the rain or heavy snow, look for Gore-Tex apparel. Unlike DWR, which is applied to the surface of the material, Gore-Tex is an actual membrane that is sewn between layers or welded to the inside of the apparel. It takes MUCH longer for Gore-Tex to lose its water repellency.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have both, for different weather conditions.

Even in the hardshell, any DWR (Durable Water Repellant) coating will only last for a while. Washing and drying helps to keep it going longer, but still......

When our DWR wear starts soaking through, we wash it with Nikwax TX.Direct Wash-In. It works like a charm!

If you regularly ski or ride in the rain or heavy snow, look for Gore-Tex apparel. Unlike DWR, which is applied to the surface of the material, Gore-Tex is an actual membrane that is sewn between layers or welded to the inside of the apparel. It takes MUCH longer for Gore-Tex to lose its water repellency.
The goretex shell is getting returned today. I have a hard time with goretex, they have to cut the shells so big to get the range of motion. I am all legs and shoulders, so I need the medium across the shoulder, and then the rest of the jacket fits like a paper bag. Yuck! I found a hybrid with soft shell body and gore over the top of the shoulders and da but and you know patches where snow actually sits on your jacket etc..And it fits like a dream. I felt my face flush when I tried it on. And no crunchy binding ick and much more breathable than the sweaty gore. The good news is it is a mountaineering jacket so the fabric is reinforced in the place where my other one wasn't so I won't get a rub from my harness or pack like I did on the last one. ( Although that one was supposedly for ice climbing , it just wasn't reinforced there and obviously should have been. ) Yeah, I am pretty excited. :ski: I feel happier than an aggressive fruit gettin her groove on.

Quiver Queen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One thing that's important to remember for all the high-tech fabrics is always wash them in a solution that was engineered specifically for them. Nik Wax, among other brands, has several. I always zip up all the zippers, turn the item inside out, and wash on gentle--this is rumored to decrease wear and tear on the fabrics.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One thing that's important to remember for all the high-tech fabrics is always wash them in a solution that was engineered specifically for them. Nik Wax, among other brands, has several. I always zip up all the zippers, turn the item inside out, and wash on gentle--this is rumored to decrease wear and tear on the fabrics.

And do not use fabric softener, nor dry them with dryer sheets, or so I've been told.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
While I don't own a softshell I do get one to use all season from the team I coach for and I really like it. I'll be buying my own this winter as I'd like to have one for daily wear that doesn't advertise the team on my back. I usually only use it as a liner under my hardshell (team or personal) as I don't find that they have the pockets I need on the slopes. I've never had an issue with odor and it's a Spyder. I always wash my technical gear and down vests in NikWax detergents designed for them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga