• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Great Non-Ski Movie Ski Scenes

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I’ve been wanting to find something to watch, will check and see if I get any of these. The challenge is always finding them—how I miss blockbuster! It’s so hard now, we try netflix, then prime, then cable PPV, then fire stick...getting access to a movie is so much more complicated than in the past.
I usually just Google the movie, and then you can see all the different platforms it's available on.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I usually just Google the movie, and then you can see all the different platforms it's available on.
That was one of the things that tilted us toward the Roku when we got it - it searches all the platforms at once. Results also tell you whether it's free or will cost.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
That was one of the things that tilted us toward the Roku when we got it - it searches all the platforms at once. Results also tell you whether it's free or will cost.
I have a Roku -- I don't think I realized I could search for movies that way! DUH! Thanks!:noidea:

altagirl

Staff member
I watched this movie some time ago. The mood is what I remember the most - bleak and disheartening. I read a review before watching it that lauded the producer's knowledge and love of skiing and claimed that the film captures the atmosphere of a ski vacation far more accurately than most ski films do.

Well. If this accurately portrays what ski vacations feel like, no one would want to take them. I can't forget this movie's depiction of emotional emptiness in a relationship, mirrored by the loneliness of the high alpine on-snow environment and a slopeside hotel with cold, designer interiors empty of joy.

That mood of emotional desolation hangs on in my mind. It was certainly strongly portrayed with every tool the movie-maker has to work with. There's an ironic twist at the end that communicates a pessimistic view of human nature, too, just to top everything off.

I do recommend this movie for its uniqueness and power, even though it was unsettling.

DH insisted on watching the new American remake of this, called Downhill. I told him it got terrible reviews and we should watch the original but he insisted. "A new movie based on skiing!!!" In case there would be any confusion, the remake is also really depressing. Rather than being about skiing, it's more of a movie about a relationship falling apart and it just happens to have skiing in it... And the avalanche was at lunch, not even skiing, which somehow brings a whole other layer of it being just about a relationship already in the process of falling apart. Definitely not on my recommended list, but hah, that's not surprising if you look at the reviews.

altagirl

Staff member
I’ve been wanting to find something to watch, will check and see if I get any of these. The challenge is always finding them—how I miss blockbuster! It’s so hard now, we try netflix, then prime, then cable PPV, then fire stick...getting access to a movie is so much more complicated than in the past.

Anyway, did run into this list to investigate:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mainstream_films_with_skiing_scenes

I have good luck using the main (upper left hand corner) search on the firestick - it searches netflix and prime and IMDB and everything I have installed on there simultaneously. It then lists all the options and if it's requiring me to pay for it, I then search on our regular satellite TV (that DH insists on keeping for football and such) and at least I'm down to two searches. And then I google it if all else fails... but it rarely comes to that.

Christy

Angel Diva
I think this counts.

Molly's Game is on Netflix now. The first 5 or so minutes are a summary of Molly's (a real person--the movie is based on a true story) pro ski career, and how it ended. It may be the best movie opening sequence I've ever seen.

It's a good movie in general, though I wouldn't say that you absolutely have to watch it. But the opening sequence, especially for skiers...watch it.

ETA: I guess I'm not the only one that thinks it's awesome. It's on You Tube.

Last edited:

COcanuck

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think this counts.

Molly's Game is on Netflix now. The first 5 or so minutes are a summary of Molly's (a real person--the movie is based on a true story) pro ski career, and how it ended. It may be the best movie opening sequence I've ever seen.

It's a good movie in general, though I wouldn't say that you absolutely have to watch it. But the opening sequence, especially for skiers...watch it.

ETA: I guess I'm not the only one that thinks it's awesome. It's on You Tube.

Holy....I was cringing just waiting for it to happen...

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Wow! Just, wow!

Covie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
DH insisted on watching the new American remake of this, called Downhill. I told him it got terrible reviews and we should watch the original but he insisted. "A new movie based on skiing!!!" In case there would be any confusion, the remake is also really depressing. Rather than being about skiing, it's more of a movie about a relationship falling apart and it just happens to have skiing in it... And the avalanche was at lunch, not even skiing, which somehow brings a whole other layer of it being just about a relationship already in the process of falling apart. Definitely not on my recommended list, but hah, that's not surprising if you look at the reviews.
Yes Downhill is quite depressing and yet I watched it twice, because it was skiing themed!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna