• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Got over fear of going too fast

ann k

Certified Ski Diva
My 3 (almost 4 yr old) has loved skiing all season and has an awesome snow plow :smile: But during the season she developed a fear of going too fast and wouldn't put her skis parallel due to her fear of speed. Luckily she still loved to ski so we didn't push it and just let her ski the bunny hill as much as she wanted. Well last week she had an instructor and another little boy ski with her and she is a completely different skier. Her instructor played a game with the kids of "Catch me". Suddenly her fear was over and she was racing down the hill with the other little boy and her instructor. It was a great idea to get her going faster and for her to see that she would be O.K. We all skied together as a family this week and I am just so impressed with how much she improved with one lesson. It is funny with kids this age at how something will just "click" at some point and they will put it all together.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Fast Forward to the near future.....
You're going to be posting how you are being left behind by this same little skier!

Yay for family slope time!:dance:

PNWSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's great!

My four year old has the opposite problem. He knows how to wedge, turn and stop. He just doesn't do it and straightlines while laughing the entire time!

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How wonderful!

You ladies are making me feel guilty. My daughter will be 4 in June and we have yet to get her out on skis yet this season. :redface:

GrenobleSkier

Certified Ski Diva
My just six year old also is also a bit afraid of going too fast, but she makes beautiful and deliberate perfect parallel turns. All the other parents on the slopes always stop and tell their kids to watch her and not go straight down in a snow plow, legs vibrating while they try to slow down. As a mom I am happy she has such good technique, but she just missed out on her "third star" badge because she was going too slowly. I feel badly that she missed out, but I also know next year it will be a breeze for her. She can already keep up with ME on the black bumps. I suppose I should just reveal in these few moments that I can actually ski with her...

J

JackieGreen

That's great. The fear has to be handled by practice. Sort of like when we all started trying ride a bicycle at first.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga