• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Foot in front mtn biking question

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When descending I always have the same foot forward. As I've started soon longer descents I've wondered if I should switch it up- but it feels incredibly akward the other way.

So, should I work to where I can either? Or just ride the way that feels comfortable?

Thanks!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hah. I was just thinking about this while riding Thursday. I definitely have a foot preference. Unfortunately, mine tends to be down and up, not forward and backward, which is even worse.

My theory is that it would probably be better to be equally comfortable both ways, but that everybody has a favorite stance. Curious to hear what people say.

altagirl

Staff member
Almost everyone has a foot forward preference, though I strongly recommend switching it up on terrain you're comfortable on, so you can develop the skill to do it either way. You never know when you're going to come around a corner and suddenly have a little techy descent and have the "wrong" foot forward. Being able to do it either way is definitely helpful. And probably good for keeping your muscles balanced too.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Almost everyone has a foot forward preference, though I strongly recommend switching it up on terrain you're comfortable on, so you can develop the skill to do it either way. You never know when you're going to come around a corner and suddenly have a little techy descent and have the "wrong" foot forward. Being able to do it either way is definitely helpful. And probably good for keeping your muscles balanced too.

That's pretty much what I've been told, although it is REALLY hard for me!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I need someone to ride behind me and taser me whenever I lazily sit down on the descents instead of standing on the pedals. That is probably the only way I'll start doing it properly.

altagirl

Staff member
I need someone to ride behind me and taser me whenever I lazily sit down on the descents instead of standing on the pedals. That is probably the only way I'll start doing it properly.

Haha, there's a different use for those e-collars we were chatting about. ;)

But yeah, I think eventually you just have to force yourself to ride weak foot forward if you want to be able to be able to do it. It's going to feel wrong for a while, but the only way to change that is to make yourself do it. Work on it and it starts to feel pretty normal.

altagirl

Staff member
Thanks! I tried this a bit and it does feel super weird!

It won't take long if you make yourself do it regularly, so stick with it! I promise, if you keep at it, it rapidly goes from feeling crazy to pretty comfortable. Most people still have one leg stronger than the other, but you can get to it being no big deal in short order with a little persistence.

I think most people just give up right away and stick to what's comfortable, so good for you!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna