• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Flying with skis

Fitmom

Certified Ski Diva
Hey ladies! :smile:

We are flying with our new skis in two weeks. We have the Sportube Series 3 for our skis. My question...is there anything I need to do to our skis when we arrive at our resort after they’ve traveled? Should I have someone look at the bindings? Sorry if that’s a dumb question. I know things get jostled around and possibly get loose... I want to make sure I take the best possible care of my skis as possible. Thanks in advance!

Jilly

Staff member
I would just check that the skis look OK. Even in the tube, they can get damaged. Security opened by sportube on the way back from out west one year. When they put to back together, they damaged the tip/base of one of the skis. So like anything that is in your luggage, check them over.

Bindings....never had a problem. I usually add my hiking shoes to my skis. That's about all that will fit with the skis and poles.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Another tip: you might want to surround your skis as much as possible with soft goods, like base layers and stuff. Not only is it a good way to stow the overflow from your suitcase, but it helps protect the skis, too.

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another tip: you might want to surround your skis as much as possible with soft goods, like base layers and stuff. Not only is it a good way to stow the overflow from your suitcase, but it helps protect the skis, too.
This very much depends on the size of your skis and how many per tube. It was a struggle for me to even get my poles in with my skis if I didn't line everything up perfectly to start in my Sportube 1. I just got a sportube 2 so I'd have more flexibility.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Remember to check the weight, too. We each have a Sportube 1, so it hasn’t been an issue, but based on how heavy those feel hauling them around I wouldn’t want to be surprised at the airport.

Fitmom

Certified Ski Diva
So far I’ve got both skis, poles and my husbands boots. We are just at 48.5. I’m carrying my boots and helmet on with a boot bag. We learned in October to always weigh before the airport. Our jogging stroller bag was over by 1 lb and they charged us for it

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Check your insurance and what it will cover if your skis are delayed or lost. Recently, mine didn’t make the same flights as me and spent a few days in Canada customs before the airline released them to someone they kept no record of. I recommend not packing any essentials with the skis. They’re more prone to being delayed because they tend to get inspected by TSA and pulled off flights if there is a weight issue.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Check your insurance and what it will cover if your skis are delayed or lost. Recently, mine didn’t make the same flights as me and spent a few days in Canada customs before the airline released them to someone they kept no record of.
Seriously? So they're gone?

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've posted this before, but for the newbies here...

When I have taken the soft-sided bag, here is how I pack my skis. I roll up my fleece, vests, and ski pants in stretch wrap plastic and pad my skis. The stretch wrap prevents the edges from cutting my clothes.

Boots in carry on. Also in carry on - baselayers, underwear and ski socks, bathing suit (if hot tub), 2 knit shirts, gloves, goggles, sunglasses, shell pants, gaiter and face mask. This will allow me to ski even if my checked bag is lost. Helmet in hard side checked bag. I wouldn't want it to crack if they put stuff on top of it. I take my Camelbak and fill it with water on the other side of Security so I have something on the plane.

And another tip, if you are close to max baggage weight, I stuff things in the sleeves of my jacket. Often, coming back from Germany, I have bags of Gummy Bears (better then the ones in US) and lots of chocolate. I put a rubber band on the end of my jacket sleeve and stuff the sleeves and pockets. I can carry my jacket on my arm without a second glance from the airplane personnel and TSA doesn't care about the weight as long as it is permitted on an airplane.
packing sportube 3.jpg Packing sportube2a.jpg Packing sportube1.jpg Packing Sportube 4.jpg

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Anyone remember who had that great spreadsheet for packing for a trip?
@elemmac @Tvan maybe one of you two?

Leaving Wednesday for my trip first to London for a few, then to Switzerland skiing for 11 days, back to London for a few. I am not bringing skis but am bringing boots as carry on. Well that's the plan anyhow.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I have one that I use regularly. It’s been evolving over the years, and changes a bit with every ski trip. Pretty sure it’s floating around on the forum somewhere.
I have scribbles of stuff on different notepads.... I'm def a spreadsheet person but for some reason haven't created one for packing skiing. Have done some for comparison skis and ski areas though.

skatha

Certified Ski Diva
We fly Southwest with our skis in a Sportube. Have never had problems. And, if your tube weighs more than 50 lbs (their limit for free), they will let you rearrange your packing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna