• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Fitness walker

berryblondeboys

Certified Ski Diva
Brisk walking is what I do for my main fitness. We live in a community filled with walking paths and lakes, so I take the same handful of walks year-round. I make my own walking challenge. This year it is to walk 500 miles in designated walks - not skiing, not biking, and not counting steps, but actual walks. I had the same goal last year and made it. I have found that being outdoors nearly every day has really helped with keeping the seasonal affect disorder at bay (skiing is great for that too, but the season is short in Maryland).

I also have a 500 mile biking goal. Almost all the biking I do is utilitarian - I bike to the grocery store, farmer's market, etc. This is the first year I've add that goal to the mix. But I wanted to mention it here as others are doing lots of things for fitness other than skiing.

former-boarder

Certified Ski Diva
I walk for fitness, too. I aim for a couple of hours a couple of times a week (or more when it's not ski and hockey season.) It's gotten to be a habit of sorts, so if I don't get my walk and listen to podcasts time in, I really feel it mentally.

Jenny

Angel Diva
We've been walking every day since July 1st - Fitbit defaulted to 10,000 steps a day, so that's what we've done. As a reward for not breaking the streak, we bought a treadmill for Christmas. Goal was to establish the habit first, but I'm not unhappy with the 8 pounds I've lost. Only 2 more to go!

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I've been walking 2-4 miles almost every day (when not skiing!) several times a week. Recently I started walking to the gym (1 + miles) exercising then walking home.

Yesterday I walked up and down my long driveway twice and it was tiring. Baby steps.

IMG_20220106_160336065.jpg

berryblondeboys

Certified Ski Diva
Glad to see there are fellow walkers! Winter is the hardest time for me to want to walk. There is so little daylight and because it's winter, I have to psych myself up for it! LOL But I always feel better once I'm out there. Since I have a goal for the year, I'll probably get behind in the beginning (so far I'm still OK) and then I'll need to put in more miles later, but it's easier later too.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I've been walking 2-4 miles almost every day (when not skiing!) several times a week. Recently I started walking to the gym (1 + miles) exercising then walking home.

Yesterday I walked up and down my long driveway twice and it was tiring. Baby steps.

View attachment 17763
Bet that felt like the longest walk ever!

When I got the OK for weightbearing after my ankle surgery I used it as an excuse to walk to the cafe/bakery in town, celebrate with breakfast, and then walk home.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Glad to see there are fellow walkers! Winter is the hardest time for me to want to walk. There is so little daylight and because it's winter, I have to psych myself up for it! LOL But I always feel better once I'm out there. Since I have a goal for the year, I'll probably get behind in the beginning (so far I'm still OK) and then I'll need to put in more miles later, but it's easier later too.
For me, that kind of goal would put me way behind at the beginning and I'd have to do some marathons to make up for it! I'm better off with the daily goals so I'm accountable right away.

MsWax

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I, too, walk for fitness. I generally walk or jog 2-3 times per week, usually at night after I put the kids in bed. That makes going outside challenging in the winter when it's cold, icy, and dark! Usually I'll do at least a few days inside on my treadmill, cranking the incline up to 8-10, and watching a show on Netflix. It's not ideal, but it keeps me moving and in-shape for hiking :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna