• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: First time in Wyoming

teppaz

Angel Diva
Three of us (one intermediate, two advanced) were booked for a Utah trip on Feb. 5-10, but the conditions won't be all that great by the time we get there so we decided to drive up to Wyoming. We're using Driggs as a base and are planning to hit Grand Targhee and (if weather is good enough to go over the pass) Jackson Hole. We love Alta's vibe so we think Targhee will be a good spot for us.

Any tips/recommendations on good runs, places to eat, what to look for if we drive over the pass, etc.?

These Wyoming newbies are excited!

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I haven't skied Targhee - but we have been in Driggs in the summer for Tetons hiking. I love Driggs and Victor too! Definitely check out Forage, Provisions, Tatanka for great pizza, Hacienda Cuajimalpa (I really love this place- but sometimes I've had amazing food, and other times, not so much) in Driggs. The Thai place is not bad either. In Victor, I also really like Spoons, Big Hole BBQ and they have tastings and tours at Grand Teton Brewing (but no food in winter). They're both great towns.

And the views from the top of Fred's Mountain are pretty hard to beat - hope you have one clear day for the Tetons view (and snow the rest!)

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh Targhee, how I love thee! I've made 3 trips there this season so far, and I live 13 minutes from Snowbasin in Utah! That's how much I love it there!
Teton Thai is great Thai food, Bangkok Garden is good but the ambience sucks, Tatanka Tavern is in the same building as Teton Thai but upstairs. Great ambience, great beer list, limited but VERY tasty menu. The food and fun inside the Trap Bar at Targhee is great. They also have a great beer list and good live music on the weekends. The grocery store there-Brulim's-carries a lot of great stuff, great variety, gourmet foods, you name it. I love Driggs and am seriously considering buying land there so I can build when my daughter graduates high school and move there.

Good stuff to be found off of every chair on that mountain (there are only 4 of them, so it's easy to get around.) Not much easier intermediate terrain, truthfully. Their blues would be blacks at a lot of other places BUT the snow is so good, and the glades and trees between the groomers are a hoot! I hope you get a sunny day (not a lot of those there) because the views of the Tetons are gorgeous!

Here I am there two weekends ago. We skied 4 days and just had a blast! Oh, keep an eye out for the guy in all red who skis under the Blackfoot chair "kickin' it old school". You can't miss him. :tongue:
27073281_10215543361523489_2462501260322043992_n.jpg

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Yes - that's the one, Teton Thai! That's the good Thai place.

And I agree with @contesstant , the grocery store in Driggs is shockingly amazing. It was the best grocery store on our road trip last summer in the area between the Alberta/Montana border and Denver.

KarenD

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We loved Grand Targhee so much that we were thinking about moving there before we found Schweitzer. I agree with everyone who has said Broulim's is a great grocery store ... though last time we were there they weren't open on Sundays, which we didn't think to check before we headed into town to shop. Oops.

My favorite runs were off Sacajawea chair, with those off Blackfoot running a close second.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Three of us (one intermediate, two advanced) were booked for a Utah trip on Feb. 5-10, but the conditions won't be all that great by the time we get there so we decided to drive up to Wyoming. We're using Driggs as a base and are planning to hit Grand Targhee and (if weather is good enough to go over the pass) Jackson Hole. We love Alta's vibe so we think Targhee will be a good spot for us.

Any tips/recommendations on good runs, places to eat, what to look for if we drive over the pass, etc.?

These Wyoming newbies are excited!
Where are you staying in Driggs? There are a few good restaurants in town. Have only been to GT a couple days, but would like to go back. The drive over the pass to JH is straightforward assuming not going during a snowstorm.

Nora's Fish Creek Inn is in Wilson, right on US22. Good food!

Here's my TR from 2013:
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/grand-targhee-wy-3-23-2013.16187/

teppaz

Angel Diva
This is all so helpful, thanks so much! We’re staying at an Airbnb in Driggs, so we’ll be able to eat in — though it’ll be fun to hit a couple of local spots too.

Looks like it’s snowing steadily at GT this week. Conditions should be good when we get there (first ski day is Feb. 7). I lucked out being at Alta on a 23” weekend recently but the forecast is dire for next week so we were like, Let’s drive!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is all so helpful, thanks so much! We’re staying at an Airbnb in Driggs, so we’ll be able to eat in — though it’ll be fun to hit a couple of local spots too.

Looks like it’s snowing steadily at GT this week. Conditions should be good when we get there (first ski day is Feb. 7). I lucked out being at Alta on a 23” weekend recently but the forecast is dire for next week so we were like, Let’s drive!
Smart move. This season in Utah is so far the worst in more than 40 years.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I second the Teton Thai suggestions for food in Driggs proper, and The Knotty Pine in Victor is great and often has great live concerts.

Teton Pass can be challenging when it is snowing and if avalanche conditions warrant can close, at times unexpectedly, but usually planned closures. Mornings and afternoons see a lot of rush house traffic. Make sure you have 4 wheel drive with decent tires or chains. Same for going up to Targhee.

Targhee skiing does have a similar vibe to Alta. I love it every time if go over from the Jackson side of the Tetons.

If you do ski Jackson, the Spur restaurant at the base is probably the most popular aprez spot along with the four seasons, but fewer locals go there.

Let me know if you want any other suggestions as I live in Jackson, have a vacation rental over the pass, and work at the ski area as an instructor, and also happen to love Targhee.

Have a great trip.

teppaz

Angel Diva
Very helpful, thanks. We’re big Alta fans and our Utah friends told us about Grand Targhee having a similar vibe, so that really appealed to us!

We’re renting a standard SUV (which isn’t the smallest so we should have some weight and power). Usually rentals don’t have snow tires but we’ll drive carefully. What’s the best way to check for pass conditions? The UDOT site seems decent; any other good resources for road conditions?

We’re excited about the trip! Coming from NYC, it’s tremendous to be able to bask in that scenery.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Feel free to private message me when and if you end up skiing Jackson Hole. Would be fun to at least grab an apres beverage or hopefully a run or two.

WYDOT has webcams of the pass and the hwy is hwy 22 for updates. Another more immediate option is to sign up for nixle alerts for Teton county and you'd get road closure and other notices to your phone. Jackson is easier to navigate than targhee in white out conditions but the drive could be horrid if that's what the weather decides to do. If in Jackson start by skiing either easy does it or single blues off of apres vous chair. Upper mountain southern side of ski area runs are sunny in the morning, opposite is true in the afternoon.

Broulims is indeed a huge and complete grocery store, though more expensive than Smith's in Jackson. I live barrels and bins close by which is the small health food store. Easy walk from one to the other.

Targhee has cat skiing which might be fun on a powder morning. Never done it.

The town of Jackson, not the resort area at teton village has the most dining options in the region.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga