• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

First AT Setup for short East Coast resort laps and mellow backcountry - Ski recs?

yogiskier

Angel Diva
As predicted by those in the know, my hybrid setup is not working for touring. My one-everything setup is: 2018 Rossi Temptation 84 in 154 length (knowing what I know now, a size too short for me), Salomon Shift 10 bindings, Atomic Hawx XTD 95 boots. Too heavy! I want a setup for efficient ups and fun downs but aggressive not needed. (I'm not as fast as a skimo racer, though. I enjoy trail running/running/classic crosscountry, so I like cardio endurance, but I'm not super fast and like to take in the scenery). I got next year's season pass for Belleayre in the Catskills (1,400ft vertical), so hope to start next season skinning there, then backcountry AT eventually - low-angle - given my personality/objectives that I mentioned before. (And yes, before anyone asks, I'd also like a backcountry nordic ski setup for rolling terrain, but here I'm just asking about AT! One shopping objective at a time :smile:)

I've started researching setups and know I should demo skis. I assume that this will be a project to start off next season, unless I go to Killington (if they still have demos this time of year, and not sure if spring conditions is ideal for this undertaking). However, should I just demo touring setups, which are less available, or should I back up a step and start by demoing skis in general, since I've only skied on my one pair of Rossys? From doing some internet research and the recent skidiva thread on narrower skis, I'm thinking of a width like 85 or 86 even.

If it is helpful to know about my initial bindings/boot thoughts, I'm interested in Dynafit bindings (Speed Turn 2.0? but not brake compatible - not sure about that) or ATK Trofeo, ATK Crest. Regarding boots, I just know that I have narrow and low volume feet but a wide calf, based on the Atomic Hawx being too roomy for me, so I needed a bunch of stuff done to the boots to take up space (unless that was because I was in a size too big?), and he had to pull back the cuff.

What skis do you recommend I demo and should I demo resort skis first? I'm around 130lbs and 5'4 (162.6cm), so is 165-172 length right?

Some touring demo options:
-Base Camp Killington has Atomic Backland 85 (165, 172) with At. Backland bindings, Fischer Transalp Pro 86C with Dynafit Rotation bindings. Maybe do this now while I have the Ikon for Killington this year?
-Ski the Whites in NH - a huge rental fleet of Fischer, Blizzard, Black Crows, and Voile - all with ATK bindings. I could take the demo to Black Mtn in Jackson to test inbounds
-Bolton Valley rents Dynafit Blacklight 88 & Tour 88

Luvs2ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As predicted by those in the know, my hybrid setup is not working for touring. My one-everything setup is: 2018 Rossi Temptation 84 in 154 length (knowing what I know now, a size too short for me), Salomon Shift 10 bindings, Atomic Hawx XTD 95 boots. Too heavy! I want a setup for efficient ups and fun downs but aggressive not needed. (I'm not as fast as a skimo racer, though. I enjoy trail running/running/classic crosscountry, so I like cardio endurance, but I'm not super fast and like to take in the scenery). I got next year's season pass for Belleayre in the Catskills (1,400ft vertical), so hope to start next season skinning there, then backcountry AT eventually - low-angle - given my personality/objectives that I mentioned before. (And yes, before anyone asks, I'd also like a backcountry nordic ski setup for rolling terrain, but here I'm just asking about AT! One shopping objective at a time :smile:)

I've started researching setups and know I should demo skis. I assume that this will be a project to start off next season, unless I go to Killington (if they still have demos this time of year, and not sure if spring conditions is ideal for this undertaking). However, should I just demo touring setups, which are less available, or should I back up a step and start by demoing skis in general, since I've only skied on my one pair of Rossys? From doing some internet research and the recent skidiva thread on narrower skis, I'm thinking of a width like 85 or 86 even.

If it is helpful to know about my initial bindings/boot thoughts, I'm interested in Dynafit bindings (Speed Turn 2.0? but not brake compatible - not sure about that) or ATK Trofeo, ATK Crest. Regarding boots, I just know that I have narrow and low volume feet but a wide calf, based on the Atomic Hawx being too roomy for me, so I needed a bunch of stuff done to the boots to take up space (unless that was because I was in a size too big?), and he had to pull back the cuff.

What skis do you recommend I demo and should I demo resort skis first? I'm around 130lbs and 5'4 (162.6cm), so is 165-172 length right?

Some touring demo options:
-Base Camp Killington has Atomic Backland 85 (165, 172) with At. Backland bindings, Fischer Transalp Pro 86C with Dynafit Rotation bindings. Maybe do this now while I have the Ikon for Killington this year?
-Ski the Whites in NH - a huge rental fleet of Fischer, Blizzard, Black Crows, and Voile - all with ATK bindings. I could take the demo to Black Mtn in Jackson to test inbounds
-Bolton Valley rents Dynafit Blacklight 88 & Tour 88
If you can demo, that would be ideal! My AT set up includes Nordica Santa Ana Unlimited 88 and Shift bindings ….I love love my skis! Second runner up; Elan Ripsticks and Black Crows (but could not demo the Crows anywhere last year, so was hesitant to buy). The skis are very lightweight but definitely stable enough for downhill.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Mountain Ops in Stowe also rents demos out. The boot fitting there is great too.

Thinking about picking up some Atomic Backland 85s for fitness-oriented touring. I like the Crests so I will probably stick with them.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
How many times have you gone? If you already have invested in a set up, be sure it’s not just lack of times going vs I need a new set up as it’s not working.

Bolton Valley is selling their demo fleet all in for great prices however that doesn’t help with knowing if it’s right for you without demo’ing. Currently they won’t allow for demos as the snow pack isn’t great, I asked. Still worth coming in, looking at the gear seeing what it weighs and asking questions!

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’d demo something from the weight class you’re considering. There are some general rules of thumb for weight (don’t ski ultralight race gear inbounds; don’t take a hybrid setup up Denali or a 6 day traverse), but there’s also a huge personal component. Some people don’t really notice a huge sacrifice with light gear. Some people really don’t feel secure & supported on carbon-heavy gear or super light, full pin bindings.

At the weight of the Backlands & TransAlps, there’s a lot less variety compared to inbound skis. They’re all a traditional shape, progressive flex pattern, poplar or paulownia wood core with a carbon laminate that makes them light and medium stiff in flex, flatter tails, less tip rocker & taper to maximize the amount of stability you get out of a shorter, lighter ski. Some are a little more demanding than others, but overall the differences are more subtle compared to the inbounds market. Inbounds, there’s a lot more options for wood cores, carbon / fiberglass / metal laminates, more playful skis that have park-inspired attributes. Like in the K2 line, they only make the Wayback 88 as a mid-80s touring ski, but inbounds, they offer the Disruption 81 as a piste-oriented ski, the Mindbender 85 C as a easier flexing all mountain ski, the Mindbender 89Ti as a burlier all mountain ski, and the Midnight as a playful, park-inspired ski. So I’d do the more intensive demo for inbounds skis.

yogiskier

Angel Diva
If you can demo, that would be ideal! My AT set up includes Nordica Santa Ana Unlimited 88 and Shift bindings ….I love love my skis! Second runner up; Elan Ripsticks and Black Crows (but could not demo the Crows anywhere last year, so was hesitant to buy). The skis are very lightweight but definitely stable enough for downhill.
Thanks @Luvs2ski !

yogiskier

Angel Diva
Mountain Ops in Stowe also rents demos out. The boot fitting there is great too.

Thinking about picking up some Atomic Backland 85s for fitness-oriented touring. I like the Crests so I will probably stick with them.
Glad to hear that you endorse the Crests and the Atomic Backland 85s.

yogiskier

Angel Diva
Could Blaze 86 be an option? They are super light and thought of as a 50/50 ski.
Someone recommended the Blaze series for me for the use I'm looking for - glad you also thought of it. I could demo them from The Pro near Hunter, which would be on the way to Belleayre. They are also relatively affordable!

yogiskier

Angel Diva
How many times have you gone? If you already have invested in a set up, be sure it’s not just lack of times going vs I need a new set up as it’s not working.

Bolton Valley is selling their demo fleet all in for great prices however that doesn’t help with knowing if it’s right for you without demo’ing. Currently they won’t allow for demos as the snow pack isn’t great, I asked. Still worth coming in, looking at the gear seeing what it weighs and asking questions!
That's a fair question. I went a few times in 2021 (which I enjoyed), didn't ski last year, and once this year. I did the hybrid setup as a way to dip my toe in touring, but the current setup feels too similar to a resort setup (which is probably what I'll use it as for a bit). I'm also more honest with myself and my ski style and objectives and don't think I need such a burly binding/boot - would rather save weight on the uphill. Yeah, too bad I didn't make it to BV a couple of weeks ago to demo...that was my original plan but...plans changed :smile:

yogiskier

Angel Diva
I’d demo something from the weight class you’re considering. There are some general rules of thumb for weight (don’t ski ultralight race gear inbounds; don’t take a hybrid setup up Denali or a 6 day traverse), but there’s also a huge personal component. Some people don’t really notice a huge sacrifice with light gear. Some people really don’t feel secure & supported on carbon-heavy gear or super light, full pin bindings.

At the weight of the Backlands & TransAlps, there’s a lot less variety compared to inbound skis. They’re all a traditional shape, progressive flex pattern, poplar or paulownia wood core with a carbon laminate that makes them light and medium stiff in flex, flatter tails, less tip rocker & taper to maximize the amount of stability you get out of a shorter, lighter ski. Some are a little more demanding than others, but overall the differences are more subtle compared to the inbounds market. Inbounds, there’s a lot more options for wood cores, carbon / fiberglass / metal laminates, more playful skis that have park-inspired attributes. Like in the K2 line, they only make the Wayback 88 as a mid-80s touring ski, but inbounds, they offer the Disruption 81 as a piste-oriented ski, the Mindbender 85 C as a easier flexing all mountain ski, the Mindbender 89Ti as a burlier all mountain ski, and the Midnight as a playful, park-inspired ski. So I’d do the more intensive demo for inbounds skis.
Thanks for the explanation and example - very helpful! Will do.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Someone recommended the Blaze series for me for the use I'm looking for - glad you also thought of it. I could demo them from The Pro near Hunter, which would be on the way to Belleayre. They are also relatively affordable!
Yeah, they are very reasonable priced! I’ve been on the 86 a lot this season and have found them incredibly versatile.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Just another opinion for food for thought...

For the objectives you describe, I would switch out your skis in a heartbeat (those are HEAVY skis to tour on regardless of duration). The rest of your set-up sounds pretty solid to meet your needs. There's nothing wrong with going to tech bindings, new boots and lighter gear, if that's what you ultimately want.

Unless I was sponsored or getting the set-up REALLY cheap, I would start small and swap out those skis first and remount the Shift on something lighter. If you're still unhappy with the weight...then commit to a more weight-conscious setup.

yogiskier

Angel Diva
Just another opinion for food for thought...

For the objectives you describe, I would switch out your skis in a heartbeat (those are HEAVY skis to tour on regardless of duration). The rest of your set-up sounds pretty solid to meet your needs. There's nothing wrong with going to tech bindings, new boots and lighter gear, if that's what you ultimately want.

Unless I was sponsored or getting the set-up REALLY cheap, I would start small and swap out those skis first and remount the Shift on something lighter. If you're still unhappy with the weight...then commit to a more weight-conscious setup.
Thanks for the thought @elemmac. I wasn't sure if it'd be worth it to just swap out the skis - they are 1600g per ski, so I definitely could save 200-500g per ski, but would it be worth it if the Shifts add 1,750g and the Hawx 1,758g? But makes sense to start with make a small change and go from there...which means I'm excited to demo skis as my first project for next season!

Second unrelated question is do the Temptations have any skiing use left? I bought them with a demo binding, then got the Shifts, so there are so many holes that the last shop said the skis aren't good for a third mounting.

elemmac

Angel Diva
I wasn't sure if it'd be worth it to just swap out the skis - they are 1600g per ski, so I definitely could save 200-500g per ski, but would it be worth it if the Shifts add 1,750g and the Hawx 1,758g?
Makes sense. This is where personal preference comes into play. I do very casual touring (half the time it’s just on old cross country trails, running the dog)…so, saving $1000 instead of getting new boots and bindings, makes a lot of sense for me, even if it costs me a little extra effort uphill. But if you’re going to go a bunch, and it’ll be a primary activity for you, spending the money might be worth it. There’s no right answer…just whatever works best for you.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
That’s quite a bit of weight on the boots and bindings.

For comparison the lightweight boots I have are ~2100g for the pair and my burlier pair are ~2600g for the pair. Your boots are ~3600 g for a pair… the 1758g number sounds good until I saw it is actually just one boot. I did the weight conversion from this page: https://www.rei.com/product/196662/...t-gw-alpine-touring-ski-boots-womens-20212022

the weight for a pair of atomic / Salomon shifts which are 1750 g for the pair vs the ATK crest 10 which is 572 g for a pair. Dynafit will be more as that ATK crest weight is super lightweight… depending on the model you get from 1000-1200g.

with the boots and bindings it appears you’re carrying an extra pair of boots, at a total of ~2K grams give or take.

I would not re-mount the temptations, your shop is correct that a 3rd mount may compromise the ski. Honestly I’d unload the ski with the shift binding so the next person can use it …

Not sure what you are looking for. It sounds like you want the alpine downhill binding and don’t want to give it up, but you also name ATKs as a next binding for a next set up —which is not one that converts to an alpine binding. if your priorities have changed to be easier on the up, and you don’t need the specific downhill binding which is heavier, would you consider a tech pin binding like ATKs?

perhaps go to a trusted shop and let them help you find something. Mountain Ops is great and there was one I used to go to NH as well in which they know their stuff. It’s helpful to have someone who knows the gear intimately and can help you make a decision.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna